Scope Pro/XTC cards - will be looking to sell soon

Have Scope hardware to sell or trade? NO DEALER POSTING ALLOWED.

Moderators: valis, garyb

jhulk

Re: Scope Pro/XTC cards - will be looking to sell soon

Post by jhulk »

the biggest crap out on the trinity and triton is the touch screens they are no longer made and there are solutions but there has to be a interface board added as the connections are reversed on the flat cable and you just cant flip it like conventional cables as there is only terminals one side

the things that do go wrong are the audio outs and the volume sliders can become faulty

and the floppy drives use belts and they stretch

but all these things are repairable

im a korg registered repair for out of warranty repairs to older synths

and im actively sourcing new parts as korg reused many in there newer synths and changed the code so korg uk and i are checking the devices for reuse

im also now the registered repair for creamware gear and answering problems
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

That's cool to know thanks jhulk. I looked into some of that about a year ago when I began to suspect that my touchscreen was starting to die out. So far it still works but it got me looking. I thought I saw a replacement touchscreen for around $300 or something but I might have been mistaken. I can't imagine wanting to ship this boat anchor to Europe and back but we'll see. More than likely I would just replace it with something new.
dante

Post by dante »

Apologies to krizrox for OT - I will start a new topic after this.
Bud Weiser wrote:Here´s what he said in 2008 ... http://forums.johnbowen.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=426 :lol:

Here´s the 2014 discussion ... http://forums.johnbowen.com/viewtopic.p ... 452#p20733
read follow up posts too.

And here, he explains the issues according to "host domain" ...
http://forums.johnbowen.com/viewtopic.p ... 452#p20739

his words:
"So, there is some restrictions in handling the communication busses which are run in the host domain, not in the dsps."

Now, if that´s really the culprit, bandwidth and speed of computer connection matters and THEN, PCIe is MUCH better than PCI.As for Solaris, I'd recommend Solaris Core.
He also quoted 'chip-to-chip' - added to the host quote - to me this adds up to 'inter chip communication which is using host'.

Then states there are not enough of these available on XITE - something I doubt he was fully aware in his 2008 quote. All he said there was that there was no reason for his devices not to run, which they do. In my experience John will say what he believes based on what he knows at the time.

To me it seems like issues only became evident with some user issues and discussion with S|C.

Anyway, irrespective of 'inter' or 'host' - whatever they are , they are different on the 2 platforms. So in amongst this there is still a missing point. If its worth discussing what Zarg synths cant do on XITE, seems to me its also worth discussing what they can do on XITE.

I will investigate and report this in a separate thread (we're going OT here) - but first I have to get a demo key because all my Zarg devices are keyed to PCI system except ProWave.

But I will work on a set of presets for Solaris Core on XITE (which will then also work on PCI) and this work has already started.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

with items like that i usually just get you to send the boards

but the new korg triton tactile keyboard or the microx have the full triton sound set and you can get them for cheap and they use standard

screens

if you want a new board same type action i would go for the new kurzweil pc3k series they have a great dsp engine a lot like scope modular

and can load samples

i love the triton trinity sy99 m1 t series 01w key mechanism and i have korgs here from the 70,s that are still working great

the yamha metal keybeds and leaf spring contact design is really good

the only keyboard that bettered it was the poly at keyboards by ensoniq that used there magnetic coil boards and fatar keybeds because of no moving parts on the contacts they never really fail
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote:
He also quoted 'chip-to-chip' - added to the host quote - to me this adds up to 'inter chip communication which is using host'.
Yes, that´s why I also mentioned the slot architecture of the XITE boxes where the XITE-1D might work better than a more powerfull XITE-1 because of the 1DSP vs 3DSP per slot relation.

Maybe your tests will show.

But both have in common they use the host computer domain and the PCI cards do too.
dante wrote: If its worth discussing what Zarg synths cant do on XITE, seems to me its also worth discussing what they can do on XITE.
Well, I know what they do.
Sound is excellent, but the handling on XITE-1 is cumbersome and that keeps as it is even they can do some w/ 1 or 2 voices on XITE.
Have in mind I´m only talking about the big ZARG synths anyway.
And please have also in mind, when someone is designing an emulation of a famous synth, he should consider the polyphony of the original instrument and how to realize for the desired platform by using the available ressources.
The Waldorf Wave´s polyphony is 16-48 voices depending on complexity of patch/performance.
Waldorf Wave and Quantum Wave have 4 parts and each part needs at least 1 voice (= 4voices).
To make it a 4-voice poly synth, it MUST create 16 voices for 4 part performance or the functionality of the original goes south.
Musically, you need 4 voices because you can express each chord existing w/ 4 voices.
In fact, that was the reason because Tom Oberheim´s 1st polyphonic synth was a 4-voice.
Last but not least, 5 voices were much better when the Prophet 5 appeared, just because keyboardists can play 2 voices w/ the thumb alone and w/ the right inversion you get the cool chords while playing another keyboard w/ the other hand.
Ask John himself (and Dave Smith too) why they put 5 voices into the Prophet 5.

But I´m aware that´s all out of interest today because we (unfortunately!) work w/ sequencers, loops and slices,- even on stage.

dante wrote: ... (we're going OT here) ...
that´s true and I´ll stop here now too.
All said.

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

I originally asked about purchasing an Xite-1D but was told there were none available. I don't know why. But I'm glad I got the -1 the extra mic pres will come in handy.

btw I dont mind the OT stuff I find it all interesting. I got a lot of catching up to do with Xite.
petal

Post by petal »

OK then - one last bit of fresh "off topic" info, which was news to me:
johnbowen wrote:
t_tangent wrote:While on this subject is there any news from John Bowen regarding optimising his devices for XITE?

Cheers lads
Hi All,

While I do understand the frustration of not being able to run my bigger plugins (Solaris, Quantum Wave) with more polyphony on the XITE systems, the situation is that these 2 plugins require more connections internally than the XITE system can provide, so there is no way to optimise them further. The only thing I could do would be to reduce the number of modulation options for each plug-in, so that they would not be anywhere as flexible as they are now (which is a big part of their appeal, it seems!).

I don't know if anyone has tried the smaller version of Quantum Wave (the Quantum Wave SE) and checked the polyphony with an XITE system, but this does reduce the interconnections (being one of four synth modules of the Quantum Wave). Aside from that, I would have to make a new version of both, severely reducing the number of connecting pathways internally for them to give greater polyphony....but then you wouldn't have all that the synths are capable of.

john b.
Taken from this thread:

http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31740

I for one think it's good to know this.

Congrats on the Xite-1 - I hope you will enjoy it :)