Making a few S/TDM cables...

Have Scope hardware to sell or trade? NO DEALER POSTING ALLOWED.

Moderators: valis, garyb

sonovox

Making a few S/TDM cables...

Post by sonovox »

Hopefully it's OK to post this here... kinda fits in with purchasing and trading!

News is I just bought a 2nd Pulsar II off eBay this week, so will be ordering up parts to make a S/TDM cable. It doesn't look like they are that easy to come by, so if anyone else needs one, let me know and I'll look into making up extra ones.

This isn't a money making exercise, and it looks like it will amount to roughly 12 Euro per connector*, so it would be 24 Euro for a 2 connector, and 36 Euro for a 3 connector cable.

Cost of postage (registered) and packaging (jiffy bag) to wherever you are on top of that, payment by PayPal.

Anyone interested, drop me a PM on here with what you want and we'll take it from there. I'll be ordering the parts in a week's time - Friday 10th Oct - so you'll need to get your order in before then!

*€8.55/connector (RS components) + bit of cable + bit of the delivery charge to me from RS + PayPal charge = mehhh... 12 Euro ish.

I'm based in Ireland.

Cheers,

Sonovox.
Eanna

Re: Making a few S/TDM cables...

Post by Eanna »

Hi Sonovox, how's things?

Can I throw my oar in for some? I'll PM you..

Thanks, Eanna
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...
sonovox

Post by sonovox »

Crikey - that was quick Eanna! Thanks for the order!

Form an orderly queue there please... "Next!!!"
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

Timing is everything ;-)
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

Thanks for this, sonovox! Much appreciated!
I'm probably interested, so I take #2 :)

Still have to check what I'll need exactly, though.
sonovox

Post by sonovox »

Nice one Sunmachine! Work out what you need and send me a PM with details - oh, and which country you are in so I can work out postage.

I'm going out for the rest of the day, so I'll acknowledge further replies tomorrow...

Sonovox.
sonovox

Post by sonovox »

Hi folks, gentle reminder to get your S/TDM cable order in soon if you are going to make one!

For anyone who has expressed an interest so far, tomorrow (Wednesday) I will PM your total costings (i.e. inc. postage etc.), along with my PayPal details. I will need payment cleared for all orders by Friday morning - as I said, this isn't a money making exercise, and am only ordering as many parts as I have received money for - anything not paid for by then won't be ordered!

Also, at least one person has said they have their own cable making ability, but have found the connectors difficult to source in their country. If that sounds like your case, and you would just like to get a few bare connectors, I reckon around 11 Euro each connector plus postage will cover it. Again, let me know asap.

Thanks again,

Sonovox.
sonovox

Post by sonovox »

Lol! How hard can something be! Just before I was going to do the connector order, eagle-eyed PlanetZ user Eanna pointed out that RS components have the exact same connectors on sale in Germany for less than 1/2 of the price that I can buy them here in Ireland. I placed an enquiry with RS on Saturday to find out why this should be, but haven't had a reply as of yet. I have asked people to hold back on sending payment for their orders in the meantime.

In my own subsequent research, I found that the connectors (all from RS) on the European mainland are MUCH cheaper than the same connectors in the UK or Ireland (both of these are the same price).

Not sure where to go from here. I will give RS until the end of today to respond, but in the meantime, I have a Pulsar II board that arrived at the weekend, and no cable to hook it up with! That means that unless someone can come up with a solution fairly quickly, I will probably have to go ahead and make my own cables at RS's exorbitant pricing! The offer to make for others still stands if they want, and I'll post again tomorrow with my decision based on what happens in between now and then.

Sonovox.
readymedia

Post by readymedia »

Hey, there!

May you, sonovox or Eanna can post here the link to the IDC connector. I just can find something like that:

http://de.rs-online.com/web/p/idc-steck ... r/6737758/

But this is the wrong one...

Cheers, Andreas
me, M6700/i7quad/Win7: PT11/Ableton/Komplete
WinXP/Luna2/Modular2 @Dell630 Dock
sonovox

Post by sonovox »

Sure thing Andreas!

Here is the German url...

http://de.rs-online.com/web/p/kantenste ... r/0471266/

For a laugh, you can check out the price difference for the same connector here in Ireland!...

http://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/edge-connectors/0471266/

Happy hunting!

Sonovox.
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

Andreas, there are also some more links to be found here (at the bottom of the second page):
http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_10/stm_mast.htm
readymedia

Post by readymedia »

Hey! Many thanks!
me, M6700/i7quad/Win7: PT11/Ableton/Komplete
WinXP/Luna2/Modular2 @Dell630 Dock
sonovox

Post by sonovox »

No answer from RS. I'm going to go ahead and order connectors for myself at the (Irish) RS price. Offer still open to anyone who wants cables! Contact me before the end of today (Friday).

Cheers!

Sonovox.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/edge-connectors/1209983/

they used to be only £2 but in the uk recently they have been hiking the prices it may have some thing todo with gold content and the fluctuation of the gold prices

this is the 3m version gold leafs

i have seen how much i can get them from my wholesalers in japan for non standard parts

and if people want them we can do a group buy which will make them a lot cheaper along with the silver core ribbon which can also be expensive