Pulsar or Digi001?

Have Scope hardware to sell or trade? NO DEALER POSTING ALLOWED.

Moderators: valis, garyb

OrgasmicOrange

Post by OrgasmicOrange »

Hello all users of creamware pulsar... i am considering buying a pulsar but i'm torn between this and the digi001 from digidesign.My ultimate aim is to get the protools mix thingy but meanwhile... can anyone give me the advantages of the pulsar over the digi card?

I just need to noe if i will fall in love with the pulsar. =)
dxl

Post by dxl »

24/96 (pulsar) 24/48 (digi001)
pulsar comes with onboard effects, sounds better than most software effects, but cost more.......

digi 001 have more I/Os

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dxl on 2001-10-29 15:12 ]</font>
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

dxl wrote:
digi 001 have more I/Os
not true.
001 has 18 and Pulsar has 20.
(001 = 8 analog I/0, spdif and one ADAT port) (pulsar has dual ADAT, 2 analog and SPDIF).

generally, the 001 is good for an "all in one package" for recording of Audio. Pro Tools MIDI features are limited.
Pulsar gives you the choice of sequencers, and has DSP power making it more flexible and powerful. This makes it better, especially for electronic music. It does cost more.

It comes down to what you do: If you are a "rock jock" the 001 will be enough probably but Pulsar will do more and is better for techno and such truck.

[opinions only]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: algorhythm on 2001-10-29 16:51 ]</font>
OrgasmicOrange

Post by OrgasmicOrange »

Thank you both very much....cash is really not on my side and i really have to be through in researching about the soundcards...
Have both of you or anybody else encountered any problems with the pulsar? Would you recommend buying it?
Really appreciate your comments. Gonna aid in my search for the soundcard =)
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

pulsar is god.

my friend has 001, it is allright for what it is: an audio interface and sequencer. it is a tool.

pulsar is all that, and an environment and an instrument. money is relative. for the # of synths and fx you get, plus the processing power and I/O, it is not that expensive.

if you need synths, fx, i/o low latency drivers, pulsar is for you. if you need a trim sequencer (pro tools le) and I/O only and some fx, then go 001.

good day sir!
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

the problem with pulsar: you will end up wanting more and more dsp. there is a lot on a pulsar II, but too much is not enough.

the analogy has been made between dsp power and crack, and it is largely true. :lol:
OrgasmicOrange

Post by OrgasmicOrange »

Ok thanx to you i am getting a clearer piture now...where i am there is not that much crack to be gotten so i reckon my $ will be going to the DSPs....
Ok so now suppose i want to get the pulsar 2... i am deciding to get a new comp also... from what i have read i should get a PC instead of a Mac for the pulsar am i right? Then what's with this PCI thing and the SCSI screwing it up?
I want to get the best rig for the pulsar and i dun really noe much abt the interior of the comp...the motherboard, PCI, SCSI drives, Pentiem or AMD????
Someone tell me what's the story please =)

BTW algo, i can't seem to d/l your songs from the site....it just stops halfway...
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

my songs d/l fine AFAIK. what is your connection? try a D/L resumer like Gozilla or something
sharc

Post by sharc »

One of the creamware systems real strengths is the expandability - If you need more DSP you can buy a second card. What you probably will need is a fast comp. I'm running a Luna II card with Adat Z-link expansion on a 1.33Ghz Athlon (Epox M/Board, 512Mb ram, 30 Gb hard drive, 32mb Matrox G550 Dual head Graphics card and 2 x 17" Monitors). I got the whole lot new for about the same as it would have cost for a pulsar 2. OK so I've only got 1/2 the dsp power of the Pulsar 2 and don't have all the plugs that come with the pulsar. But I've got the same amount of i/o's and have found that there's a lot of really cool pulsar plugz available for free. As for DSP power - Well, it's 3/4 the power of the original Pulsar, so it's enough to get by. I can run the 24 channel mixer, a synth or 2 and maybe a couple of fx....and that's before the cpu's even kicked into action on VST. Might be worth you looking at as a cheaper option to get started.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sharc on 2001-10-31 19:04 ]</font>
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

...Offer expired... :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: subhuman on 2002-01-08 13:21 ]</font>
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

I really agree with algo's opinion about what kind of music you do.. I use Pulsar II but from what I've experienced, it's not one of the easier cards to do multi channel input... unless you have a digital mixer or some sort of external ADAT device. As it is, it only has one pair LR analogue... the rest is ALL adat. I'm not really with the show about all the digital I/O so that's a problem for me. (I still use Yamaha DSP Factory JUST for I/O!)

Also, keep in mind that Pulsar will need some getting used to before it starts to work WITH you. All cards are like this, but Pulsar especially. It's hard to find the right way to incorporate into your work flow... simply it does things that other cards do not. But once you find a good pace, it'll rock. If you understand programming modular synths, you'll rocks your pants off. Be careful though.. if you're not really an all-round virtual analogue fan... you might be missing out on a big part of the show. You'll still enjoy the effects and mixing capabilities but one has to admit, VA synths are at the core of Pulsar.

And by the way, don't even think about compareing Pulsar synths to VSTi's. It's a totally different dimension... It's as close as you can get to a hardware synth. Or, actually, it IS a hardware synth since Pulsar synths run on Pulsar hardware...

anyway, hope this all helps.
OrgasmicOrange

Post by OrgasmicOrange »

Wow....i gotta thank all you fellas out there for the advice man...i think i know now what the pulsar can do and yes i am into VA synths =)....if only there was someone who did AccessVirus for the pulsar haha...
Thanx Mr Subhuman for your offer but i think i'll be getting a pulsar =)
And algor, i think its something to do with my cookies...i'll listen to your stuff then give you some comments hehe....
And btw i still know jackshit about SCSI and PCI so if anyone cares to enlighten me on that it would be appreciated.
Thanx a million all :smile:
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Pulsar is better, you'll like it :smile:

The ADATs are way more flexible than analog I/Os, imho... you can connect it to a digital mixer, an ADAT machine, or, if you want, an analog converter box. A good one that is cheap is the Alesis AI-3 24bit, 8x8 1/4" jacks, rackmount.

You do need "additional" hardware to make the digital I/Os useful, making Pulsar a slightly more advanced & modular than an integrated solution like 001. I really prefer this flexibility of the Creamware line, though...
OrgasmicOrange

Post by OrgasmicOrange »

I'm learning more and more everyday.....i love you pple :smile:
dxl

Post by dxl »

On 2001-10-31 18:46, subhuman wrote:
And *cough* my (slightly used but minty fresh) Luna2 is for sale for cheap too.. :wink:
hey i wana buy it from u, ur the cheapest~~

i wish my mom will buy me one luna card for my birth day~ on dec.11

my mom almost killed me when i said i want a pulsar2 card.............><

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dxl on 2001-11-01 16:46 ]</font>
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

if only there was someone who did AccessVirus for the pulsar haha...
Peezahj is working on presets for a soon-to-be-released(?) Mod2 emulation of the Virus.

http://planetz.ghostwheel.com/forums/vi ... forum=9&24
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Pulsar is better, you'll like it :smile:
hehe, VERY clear cut... can't be any simpler.
The ADATs are way more flexible than analog I/Os, imho... you can connect it to a digital mixer, an ADAT machine, or, if you want, an analog converter box.
And you're going to end up going the ADAT way anyway so you're going to need these things.. or, actually, I need to get me a box too.
ohmelas

Post by ohmelas »

Pulsar is better
OrgasmicOrange

Post by OrgasmicOrange »

Ahh...i think i geddit now...the pulsar is better...seems to stick in your head when you hear it enuf :smile:

Thanx Algor for the virus thread link... i think when i get the pulsar i am not gonna get much sleep hehe...

Now can someone please help me out withthe SCSI and PCIs thingy... what's the best things to get for computer that i'm gonna get so that it complements the pulsar well and i'll be off to BUY THE STUFF :wink:
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

I got SCSI, and it is fine WITH THE RIGHT MOTHERBOARD (due to PCI overflow problems with VIA chipsets). But honestly, you don't need it and it costs more than IDE. I would stick with IDE and spend the extra money on more DSP.

Seth will jump in on the MOBO specifics, I am sure :wink:

look at his sight though for good tips, or better yet, pick up a preconfig'd system:
http://www.infinitevortex.com