Elektra = Luna2 + Modular2 ?

Have Scope hardware to sell or trade? NO DEALER POSTING ALLOWED.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Rob van Berkel

Post by Rob van Berkel »

Hello all,
I consider buying CW stuff. As this forum seems to be the place where all CW'ers gather, I have a few questions that you might be able/willing to answer:

1. Isn't the Elektra basicly the same as the Luna2 with the Modular2? I see no differences in capabilities, only in price.
2. When I have the Elektra (or Luna2 + Mod2) and I need more DSP power, will it be possible to add any other CW-board (Luna2, Pulsar2 SRB or Scope SRB)
3. Any ideas on adding more SP/dif interfaces to Elektra?
4. What is the bare difference between the Luna OS and the Pulsar OS? They CAN run the same devices, can't they?
TIA for replying!
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

1. Isn't the Elektra basicly the same as the Luna2 with the Modular2? Yes, exactly.

2. Will it be possible to add any other CW-board Yes also.

3. Any ideas on adding more SP/dif = Add a Z-Link plate( it has spdif io also)

4. What is the bare difference between the Luna OS and the Pulsar OS? Pulsar OS has more devices. couple of synth and couple of effects, beside that, Luna look better and has Recording mixer , which I found more practical. Abd also the Surround mixer.

Post by samplaire »

hi,

3.Z-Link plate - I'm afraid it is not possible to use the 2 spdif sources (the luna spdif and the z-link one) simultanously because Luna/Pulsar card can only be 'slaved' to one device at a time (if You want to record using the card's spdif port you have to turn it to slave mode, otherwise you will have clicks or no sound) but if you want to use 2 spdif outs simultanously it is possible.

4. Pulsar OS and Luna OS are 2 way compatible (the only difference I noticed is the looks of them - pulsar is a bit nicer (for me) and luna is a bit more flexible). If you want you can use pulsar devices (synths, samplers, effects) on Luna OS (if you have them registered) and you can use Luna devices (mixers, effects) on Pulsar OS (if you have them registered)
Rob van Berkel

Post by Rob van Berkel »

Thanks for the good replies, I just got all my questions answered. As a result some more questions came up:
SPDif: if the slaving is only possible to one spdif interface, what will happen when I add one additional Luna? Will I be able to use both spdifs? (especially the inputs)
STDM bus: When the above mentioned 2 luna's need more DSP, will I be able to add a Pulsar2 or a ScopeSRB? As the Luna's only have 1 STDM connector, all 3 cards (e.g. 2 Luna's and one Pulsar2) will then be connected via one STDM cable only. Will it result in stdm overflows? Does the Pulsar2 need all its STDM connectors connected to the other boards or will one be enough?
I know, these are a lot of questions, but as Creamware didnt respond to my emails you guys are my only help/hope.
TIA
Rob
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

STDM overflows shouldn't really happen unless there is a corrupted file in your install directory, which doesn't happen by itself. The <a href=http://faq.infinitevortex.com>faq.infinitevortex.com</a> has an easy solution to the problem. It's not caused by lack of STDM connections between cards. I use a PulsarI + Luna2, with only one STDM (and others here do, too), and this works great. I think the only issues may come into play when you get really large projects with lots of complex devices like reverbs/samplers etc.

I thought only the Pulsar1 card had the SPDIF issue? I am not completely sure since I haven't tested it myself, but I think that both SPDIF I/O on both Luna2's SHOULD work.
Rob van Berkel

Post by Rob van Berkel »

Well, about large projects, I intend to use the DSP power mainly for Modular2 and perhaps an additional synth. I just wonder if 2 luna2's and a pulsar2 will interconnect with just one stdm cable, while pulsar2 has 2 stdm connectors.
I will probably start off with 2 Luna2's (cheaper than one pulsar2); they will give me 2 spdifs ins and outs, and 6 DSP's to start with.
Thanks to all who responded to my initial posting. You guys are definitely a much better help than Creamware.de or my dealer.
Rob
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

2xLuna2 and Pulsar2 should be fine with only one STDM. You use more only when you can :smile:
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

Sorry not for being here for some time. As I said before (about using 2 spdif inputs simultanously) there is no way to use 2 ins at a time. It's because you must slave your computer to one of them and if you do that - there is no signal on the second in (tested with my gear: a DAT connected to the Luna in and my sampler to the Pulsar one - no way...). Hope it's not too late for you....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2001-09-09 06:16 ]</font>