"Modularish" Atoms Available

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

hello all - this was on the yahoo list, thought you might benefit:

"New Release -- Obsidian ToolBox for Pulsar!!
ToolBox provides dozens of useful DSP-saving widgets and gadgets for you projects along with providing frontends for a lot of the builtin CreamWare atoms you already have in your installation. If you ever find yourself building a modular device to do something simple like panning a signal with an LFO of sticking a filter or single EQ into the signal chain then forget that!
All of the atoms are extremely DSP-light and you can pack dozens into a a pulsar project while saving DSP on things like modular constructions for basic functions. Atoms include panners, switches, adders, summers, mixers, gain devices, filters, LFO's, Oscillators, effect blocks and more to help you debug signal routings and save on DSP resources in your projects."

$15 available here:
http://www.obsidianuk.com/

no, i do not work for them :wink:
fra77x

Post by fra77x »

is there a page with further details?
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Sounds too good to be true. If it that's easy how come the devices don't use these things like that in the first place? What's taking all the DSP power ?
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

there is a M$ word document with a few screenshots up at their site: http://www.obsidianuk.com

looks pretty cool . . .
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

i think what guy eastwood is saying is that a lot of pulsar devices use these basic atoms which he is selling. the point is that sometimes you do not need the whole device, but just a particular function that one of the atoms does. for instance, building a modular to have an lfo modulated pan. this pack gives us the opportunity to just load a simple lfo and a panning module, and thus be less on dsp. chech out the screenshots at the link above. why does it sound too good to be true? guy from fxpansion stopped developing for the pulsar platform, and is probably trying to squeeze some $$$ out of some simple stuff he made to construct his devices. sounds good for him, and us, right?
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

I got this today and played just a tiny bit with it. Pretty cool, sort of like a microSCOPE/DP package (and I mean MICRO.. just in the sense that it's not within the Modular, but directly in the "Project" window that you connect these tiny atoms) ...I'll have more information about it as I use it of course. Anyone else played with it yet?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: subhuman on 2001-06-18 22:19 ]</font>
Air_PoLLo

Post by Air_PoLLo »

I know the guy behind fxpansion, let me ask him
Peezahj

Post by Peezahj »

Yeah, I got it, too, but it's damn hard to dig in to. Guy ought to keep some example projects on his site, the demo pics that came w/ the Tool Box only open in word.

Still, it's fun getting that much closer to seeing how the other half lives. CW must be pissed off about it, & now we've got something to say to all the punters that complain about not getting free Scopes. :wink:
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

There is finally a PDF document up for those of us who don't like MicroSoft Office polluting our DAWs...

http://www.obsidianuk.com/toolboxdocs.pdf

Mr. Guy Eastwood also said he would try to put up some demo projects, honestly I haven't really used this toolkit since it's only today I've noticed the PDF document, I think I can do something with it now! :grin:
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

Great tools. However I found a bug (?) using them on a Mac Pulsar (2.042). I'm not a guy to critisize people - that's not what I intend to do. Now I don't know how to contact Guy Eastwood (the http://www.obsidianuk.com link doesn't work) so I do it here.

One of the .dsp files (or more) causes Pulsar to show an error message (The connection between ...) unabling me to load some devices (STS3000, some Sample Players etc.). I use Pulsar1 and Luna2 connected via pci :wink: and stdm. There are 2 possibilities given by CW in the message - 'reload dsps' - which you can do endlessly and 'cancel' - crashes the soft. After removing all the obsidian .dsp files that come with the toolbox everything starts to work properly. Any suggestion?
dbmac

Post by dbmac »

This is a common problem, seems to happen more often with multiple board setups. Adding dsp files to the Pulsar system (not sure about Mac directory structure/file names)sometimes corrupts the dsp index file. With my win98 system I can fix this by RE-running the last update patch (2.04a), which is a quick and unobtrusive procedure. If there's such a patch for the Mac, I recommend you try it, I bet it works.
/dave
dblbass

Post by dblbass »

anyone know whether these atoms work OK with V3 ?

I suspect they should be fine, but nice to hear it from someone who's tried before parting with my dollaros
JoeKa

Post by JoeKa »

Can it be that this package isn´t sold anymore? What a pity... I would take one immediately, if it is V3-approved of course.