the ultimate pulsar setup

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

gelder_1

Post by gelder_1 »

hey guys , just wanted to share with you a painful problem we all get in to :grin:sp power.

i own pulsar ii for a half of year. at this time it took me around one month to learn pulsar system to the bottom (though you always think you know all and than you got into problem you never saw before...) the rest of the time i just had a "fight" with the system thinking to myself which synth i have to give up because of low dsp power.

eventualy i found myself using most of the time the EZsynth which we all know is the less dsp hungry synth.
my music started to sound the same and i though to myself , what can i do ? ? ?.

so this is what i did: i bought emu modul i connected my good old rm1x as a module too , i added an ADAT to mix it all on pulsar and one day i found myself actualy working , not trying to save dsp and thinking how many voices do i HAVE to use. i'm just creating whatever i feel to.

pulsar is a great system who took me from a amature music maker and opened the option to be a real pro.but if you add it a tool or two you'll find how much you were limited 'till now.
i think we all bought pulsar because we don't have enough money to buy all those great devices by hardware and we sure get along with it , i did those "shopping" step by step not all at once , and i deeply recomend you guys to do so.

my creatity has rised up in 200% when all that worries me is what I need and what I do and it sure feels great.
Frontline Studio

Post by Frontline Studio »

Hi!

I totally agree with you!
Don't rely on the Puslar system only. Besides my Pulsar 1, I use a JD-800, a Nordlead 1, a SY-99 for synths and a TC Electronic M-one and an Ensoniq DP-2 as FX units. I must say: both the M-one and DP-2 still outdo the Pulsar FX in creativity as well in depth and warmth. But that's to be seen a my honest opinion ofcourse... :b
CU,

John.
Zer

Post by Zer »

Those who own some hardware devices are always luckyly except from the handling of the mini displays of your synth and fx...I bought the pulsar because I want to do everything with my machine...just like in the old days with my amiga...Ok... I´ve got a DJX to get some notes into my sequencer and a VM3100Pro for additional mixing and a MAM B33 II for adding some extra acid...but my intention ist to do everything on my machine...and even the sounds from my djx when recorded with the pulsar are sounding excellent...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zer on 2001-06-29 06:41 ]</font>
zildjian

Post by zildjian »

great comment!
I was thinking about it a lot. But, more than an external hardware device... I was thinking about another comp with a cheaper soundcard (a good one but cheaper than Pulsar) with well designed drivers and adat output.
get the picture?

synths like gigasampler, reason and/or reaktor, when used as a stand-alone instrument on another computer... they are really powerfull...

tell me what you think.
On 2001-05-31 18:08, gelder_1 wrote:
hey guys , just wanted to share with you a painful problem we all get in to :grin:sp power.

i own pulsar ii for a half of year. at this time it took me around one month to learn pulsar system to the bottom (though you always think you know all and than you got into problem you never saw before...) the rest of the time i just had a "fight" with the system thinking to myself which synth i have to give up because of low dsp power.

eventualy i found myself using most of the time the EZsynth which we all know is the less dsp hungry synth.
my music started to sound the same and i though to myself , what can i do ? ? ?.

so this is what i did: i bought emu modul i connected my good old rm1x as a module too , i added an ADAT to mix it all on pulsar and one day i found myself actualy working , not trying to save dsp and thinking how many voices do i HAVE to use. i'm just creating whatever i feel to.

pulsar is a great system who took me from a amature music maker and opened the option to be a real pro.but if you add it a tool or two you'll find how much you were limited 'till now.
i think we all bought pulsar because we don't have enough money to buy all those great devices by hardware and we sure get along with it , i did those "shopping" step by step not all at once , and i deeply recomend you guys to do so.

my creatity has rised up in 200% when all that worries me is what I need and what I do and it sure feels great.
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

zildian - i agree with you. i am thinking of building a second box out of old parts for VSTi's only and using a slim host like ORion. I am thinking of using the SBlive (already got one) and using the APSlive drivers (7ms) and using the spdif out into my pulsar box so that I don't have to use the shoddy D/A convertors on the card. what do ya all think of this? supposedly creative is working on their own ASIO drivers too . . . .
dblbass

Post by dblbass »

I bought pulsar and other virtual stuff because my wife can't see when I spend more $$ the way she can when I used to bring home another box with flashing lights for my rack!

For some of us, this is not a trivial concern!
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Dblbass is ight ! My wife is pretty relaxed about things, but a good friend of mine (a hardware type) has all sorts of problems ! If the gear looks too expensive he has to claim he's borrowed it from me. The downside of that (for him) is that she then pesters him to "give it back" after a few months !!
Mo

Post by Mo »

so what do claim, spirit? :lol: that must be cool, at least in financial terms...

Mo :grin:
llamativo

Post by llamativo »

My wife gets annoyed with my spending. But, she can't say much until she gets a job!!! I try to behave, but I just can't help it. Sometimes my gear lust gets the best of me. I've been better lately.

My Pulsar II and Luna I/O box are on the way. If I can just get it through the door, I'll be almost set (still, need a good MIDI box).

Tip: Use UPS Tracking to know exactly when the package will be delivered and head her off at pass!!!
Robert

Post by Robert »

How about this,
How do you justify buying two 15 dsp boards for a machine that's only 'good for online shopping in Tesco's and sending your friends pictures of the baby'?
And if I bought all my stuff over from my family's house, my wife'd throw it all out the window!
I've got to get those cards in there somehow.

Robert
llamativo

Post by llamativo »

I got the Pulsar II through the door undetected. Now I have to get the Luna I/O box and the mission will be accomplished.
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

you married (read: "whipped') bags give me a hoot with your failure to justify DSP addiction. :lol:
braincell

Post by braincell »

Last edited by braincell on Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
nicked

Post by nicked »

...but are there any FEMALE pulsar users?
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Ye gads man are you mad ?! This is PC tweaking stuff with knobs and sliders, buttons, faders and patches.
at0m

Post by at0m »

On 2001-09-13 19:45, algorhythm wrote:
you married (read: "whipped') bags give me a hoot with your failure to justify DSP addiction. :lol:
us, singles, only have to explain to our wallet :grin:

ain't got no time for household
ain't got no time for nothing but ...
garyb

Post by garyb »

you guys have the wrong females,or are not working them properly.
ontik

Post by ontik »

Shorten the chain that you attach your wife to the kitchen sink with and if she makes any further comment regarding your habits, kindly remind her of the last 'little trip' she took to the women's refuge....:lol:

Works for me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ontik on 2001-11-07 19:12 ]</font>
dxl

Post by dxl »

with pulsar..6DSP........ wana make a good music............ only if u have lots time to record one insturment at a time...... and u still know what ur composing.....

15DSP...... way too expensive for personal use....

so i also use Pro-52 and PPG software synth, attack drum machine, also REWIRE with REASON, and use some vst and pular effects, also 1 or 2 synths(max3 synths.... if there is spcae) from pulsar then that will be cool enough~ also i have a Roland MC307 and G600 workstation, so that i can get more triditional sounds

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dxl on 2001-11-07 21:43 ]</font>
llamativo

Post by llamativo »

An inexpensive outboard sampler can free up your Pulsar and give instant polyphony! I use an Akai S6000 for 128 extra voices, but a used S2000 or S3000
is easier on the budget.

l.