January Contest discussions

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Don't really have an idea right now, but I'll just start a thread. Here are some simple starters:
* We could keep with the "theme synth" idea. There's probably more to explore.

* We should keep wtih "Pulsar Only". Otherwise things get out of hand.

* How about "theme sample".. where everyone uses the same sample in one way or the other? Could work.

* Could also make it no-commercial soft only. So all free synths, all free effects, and SFP pre-bundled stuff only. It'll be very wide, so might not be as interesting.

Anyway, gotta go for now. Will be back with more ideas.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Nice ideas Ken, I’m for it too! :smile:
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

my problem with these contests is that i use only modulars as synths, but maybe something useful to remember is that the old modular one doesn't ask for any password and it's usable also by the luna 2.5 owners with no pulsar sw.
another thing i found (i have a luna in my internet machine...) is that the very first version (before of pulsar 1.2) of eds8i loads with no password, in luna2, and the same is for the hummel miniscope 1.0!

ciao.
alfonso.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

It would be good to get more people to enter. Would going freeware help this ? Probably not I think. In any case there is so much excellent freeware on this platform that it comes very close to saying "use anything".

I like the idea of a set of samples, but much less keen if it means using the STS only. There are similar competitions on other forums: for example two NI contests have been run using a very narrow range of samples for the Kontakt sampler which were simply a voice saying: "Kontakt". Hmmm... results were reasonably predictable.

Perhaps you might also consider just a couple of devices, but also say exactly what presets you could use.

Maybe the winners could specify a ModV2 device with a set range of presets, and that had to be the source ? A single sine oscillator ModV2 could be a real challenge :wink:

More ideas needed . . .
wayne

Post by wayne »

I suppose the whole contest thing's a bit wierd for me because i use pulsar mostly to record non-computer (wood and metal) instruments - many here are the same way - but a contest needs limits, and indeed this is an SFP forum, so i'll shutup now :wink:
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

well, we could go totally "live", without ANY digital oscilators at all. That might be fun. Of course, STS would be allowed to play the samples... but all the samples have to be manually recorded from live sources.

That's one possible limitation.
wayne

Post by wayne »

:cool:
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Wood and metal ? You mean like the front panels and sideboards of early hardware synths ? :wink:

But seriousy, that does sound interesting. Can I suggest that there be two categories though: one for people who record their own, and one where a set of acoustic samples were provided for us non-wood&metal people ?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Spirit on 2002-11-18 09:35 ]</font>
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

but of course, if it becomes a general "band" type competetion, it's going to be really hard to draw the lines as some people may not have access to the proper equipment, while many others do. That'll be a hard handicap to balance.
(nothing final here, I think we're all just adventuring in our thoughts right now) But really, I think it's still hard to rule out the "band/live" people out there by making it a synth only competition.
fra77x

Post by fra77x »

Hello to all... i certainly would like a song contest with mod2/3 as a sound source... that's what i use anyway and i find that the most capable instrument and a fantastic sound source... From mod3 i use the poly filters and in one patch the poly mod delay... i have an idea. What about anyone who wants to get involved to upload a set of patches (let say 3) and after that we can to decide the one set of patches to be used in the contest. I found very interested the sound source limitation idea but i 'm really interested in new sounds... Tell me your opinion
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

I though of the MOD1 idea pretty interesting... At least everybody can use it...

Mod1 as the ONLY sound source... ?! :smile:

Yes

Pulsar standard effects + free ones, cool also... No propack effects allowed, or commercial one either...
borg

Post by borg »

Mod1??? i thought i didn't have it anymore, but it's still there somewhere...

mmm... the first contest was great, because it made a lot of us use synths we wouldn't use otherwise. so maybe it would be cool to do audio for this one, because others don't normally do this. everybody has at least an analog in. just plug in a jack and touch the other end, and you have a sound (remember petal's 'powersearch' ). ok, maybe it's not for the real instrumentalists, but others can't complain. (i suppose anyone can get a mic somewhere as well).

i personally wanted to integrate the 'dope' synth by hummel :lol: it would be nice to see how everybody got this thing working for them.

so what about using only three tracks? Mod1, audio track, and something else (dope, free choice, again plasma, as it is the only drum synth worth that name, suggestions)? and of course free SFP fx, but let's say, a maximum of six?

thalamus? ken?
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Ok, if we are only allowed the analog in, i'm in! :grin: using only sfp mixer and included effects+free effects... Cool! Hey hey, touching the cable.. That's funny!
astroman

Post by astroman »

hey, hooo, mighty hornblower guru :cool:

how about dividing the cake:
pure acoustics versus samplers
modular x versus hummel or other synths ?

my 2 cents, Tom
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

On 2002-11-18 13:17, astroman wrote:
hey, hooo, mighty hornblower guru :cool:
LOL :grin: :grin:

No problem, it is just that i find this funny. Just imagine a bunch of guys trying to make a song all alone in their home playing with the 1/4" jack :razz: trying to get some 'interesting sounds'...

Seriously, i'm ok with anything... Since i'm doing this for fun anyway, and i won't show up in any Z voting charts anytime soon(their is just to much talented peoples here, it is a good thing though!)

1 source from mod1 + 1 source from samplers.... That'll be cool also...

Anyway, this is only brainstorming... So ....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: marcuspocus on 2002-11-18 13:34 ]</font>
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I love the idea of working with Modular I only, nobody has used it much… It’s a shame, cos it’s a great instrument all in all. Too many new software were just coming out when the Modular I was released with the first Pulsar, remember? Many were very good, so people were leaded to the newer ones forgetting Modular I…

I think it’s an excellent idea Marcus, I vote for a Modular I contest too. :smile:
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

so, what about a pure mod1 contest, with freedom of building patches for our compositions and the rule that
the self made patches must ALL be posted to planetz, to benefit all users that don't have
modular at all?
i would also put a longer term, let's say the end of january or february,to give time the people to check existing patches and to build their own, and allow the use of 2 or 3 tracks of recorded audio for voice or other instruments that are not synths (of course you can bounce as many mod1 lines as you need).

it could be also a real pure mod1 contest, difficult maybe but very interesting,
with the possibility to use audio material only if filtered by mod1 or to drive it..(try rythm samples or voice or what you can grab through the mod1 "synth guitar" patch that you can find in plz).

what do you think?
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

I support that idea, MOD1 only + audio tracks, but i would add, NO melodic instruments except vocals...

I mean, i you give me access to guitar, i'll do about anything with it, but no melodic instruments, we're a little more constrained to really use mod1 to at least some extent.

That means, percusive stuff, vocals, vocal effects, noise, etc... That also mean, you could record a noise, and use it in a wav osc in mod1... cool!

Obviously, we could also use mod1 to treat audio, in fact it could be encouraged!

I think this would be great, and all would benefit like Alfonso said.

Don't forget, everybody has the Mod1, even Luna 2.x users! If they don't have it, just ask it, it is free for all!
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

How about four categories:
- ModI
- ModII
- ModIII
- Luna/PulsarI Mod users

Two rules:
You can use only ONE modular device for everything (including drums and all effects !). You must of course say which device you used and post it for everyone to see if it's not already on the Z.

Second rule is that the device MUST run on 6DSPs (otherwise Scopers have a huge advantage).

A special fourth catgory is for Luna and PulsarI users since they have even less DSP.

Alternatively you could use any version of the Modular you like, but the categories would be:

Mod device runs on 3DSP
Mod device runs on 6DSP

Overdubs/multracks are obviously OK, but ALL sounds must come from the one Modular device.

* These devices and demo songs would be excellent PR material for Creamware. I wonder if we allowed CW to put the winners on their site, they might contribute a prize ?
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

The mod idea sounds very nice. The division sounds pretty cool too. Mod I and Mod II should definitely be differentiated. I'm not too sure if Mod II and III can be split though.. cuz they're so similar. Of course, there's always the patch incompatibility between II and III... It might even be better to just do away with III because not too many people use it anyway. Let's get some thoughts on this.

But also, to make the contest fair on everyone, ruling out Mod II could even be an option.. cuz we'd have to go Mod I if we were to make it a "for everyone" type competetion. Who knows.. if there are enough mod II users, the that becomes a possibility. I just don't like the idea of dividing up the entries into "paid for" and "free for all".

Let's split up the discussion.
* The whole Mod issue
* The live audio issue
And whatever else issue you may think of. Just make sure you state it at the head of the paragraph, or section so that me, or anyone else can look through the posts easily.

I'm planning to keep this thread a totally opened topic, with nothing becoming final. Just sort of a pool to draw ideas from. And then the next step would be to draw out finalized ideas from this thread.

Just keep in mind, though, that the contest has to be for everyone, and also has to be evaluatable on an absolute degree. So I want to keep away from comparing between a super mod patch, and an ultra creative live recorded sound effects tune. Sure, the comparison can be made, but the judgement becomes all too subjective. I personally don't like competitions that really depend on the inspiration and understanding of the judges. (it becomes a contest of impressing the judges) Anyway, these are the goals I propose at the moment.