January Contest discussions

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I think we have not to forget the learning side of this… Probably, the most important thing here is to keep learning. So if we include too many instruments to this contest, we are not going to learn anything, just making music. To make music is great, but I think we have not to loose the main objective, which is the learning-ship thing.

I would like to go with whatever you like, but no more than three instruments at the same time.

Ken, I think as you to better split Audio and devices as different things.

I liked much the Marcus idea of working with the Modular I only. I would like too something like working with only one single instrument, like the Vectron Player for instance, doing absolutely everything with it. This is a nic challenge, don’t you think so?

Something else, I suggest to do the contest ending the 15th of January, because it’s PLANET Z ANYVERSARY DAY. What do you think? I think it would add some extra value to the compositions as well as to the day itself… The winner could give his song to John, if he agrees of course, becoming the winner’s song the Planet Z song to be used as an introduction when you open the Z for about 10 seconds or so, till next year when there will be a new winner. I like this. What do you think? :smile:
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

hmm.. the mod I only idea seems reasonable to me.
Also, Jan 15 sounds very cool.

Going in the mod I vein.. then dividing into 6dsp and 3 dsp sounds cool. And using all available effects like last time maybe? Plus STS?

And before the "live audio" idea fades away, I should say that voice tracks would probably be out of the question for me. Because then, it simply becomes a competition for the best sounding vocals, etc. Some users don't have access to a good vocal, so they might sing themselves or not have a vocal track at all. And comparing that to a track with great vocals, is going to be pointless. (it's going to be very hard to be fair in a situation like that) I was thinking more along the lines of the line noise already mensioned, clanking metals, mike howls.. etc. More along the sound FX/percussion line.

And also, I don't think the planetZ "theme" song is necessary.. I mean, not for the whole frickin' year! Eeek, it's going to drive everyone mad!! :lol: Perhaps just a "winner" is good enough.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kensuguro on 2002-11-18 23:07 ]</font>
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I like the Mod idea except for the ModI only concept. Of course it's good that everyone has access to it, but it's dead after all...

Against that I wonder what the percentage of users is with ModII ?

In any case I vote for sticking with the "tough challenge" concept and think that the one Modular device you choose must be your ONLY sound source and ONLY effects source.

Part of the beauty of this type of contest would be in examining the Modular device that the various people would make or use.

IMHO the effort to build devices would be a little wasted on the "deadend" system that is ModularI. ModularII devices would have longevity outside of the contest.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Thinking well, yes, a whole year is perhaps to much Ken, but every time there is a winner, so every two months would be nice. Why not? A little piece of music from 10 to 12 seconds in mp3 opening automatically would be very nice. It's very easy to desable this option with an on off buton anyway. This is a music forum isn't it? Wouldn't it be nice for it to sound? I think so :smile:
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Thinking well, yes, a whole year is perhaps to much Ken, but every time there is a winner, so every two months would be nice. Why not? A little piece of music from 10 to 12 seconds in mp3 opening automatically would be very nice. It's very easy to desable this option with an on off buton anyway. This is a music forum isn't it? Wouldn't it be nice for it to sound? I think so :smile:
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

A poll of mod II users would be cool. If it's a high prcentage, why not. (I think lots of people have it) I'm wondering.. how "dead" is mod I anyway? Have never seen it myself.

As for the opening theme... yeah, well, 2 months should be ok. or even just 'till the contest. Could be fun. :smile: We could just try it experimentally if John approves. I'm just worried cuz it may cause bandwidth issues. The server's pretty bogged down as it is.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kensuguro on 2002-11-19 01:24 ]</font>
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

How many people go to the splash page ? I always come straight to the forum ...
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

splash? What splash page? You mean the splash page for the main site?
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Er... this one:
http://www.planetz.com
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

right, the main splash. (thought there was one for the board, hehe) I see.
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

So, 2 categories:

1- Mod1
2- Mod2

With no vocals, but recorded noize, clinks & clanks
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

What about DSP limits ?

And are we still looking at the "everything from one device including effects" ?

Anyone else with 2c ?
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

One more idea, inspired by a recent thread elsewhere. How about the only synth being the Vectron Player ? Winner gets a full Vectron thanks to our friends at Creamware :wink:
valis

Post by valis »

Personally I like the idea of using nothing but the Pulsar for synthesis and effects, just rotating the selection of free&stock creamware sound modules to be used.

The only PROBLEM i had in the last contest was my 4 dsp limit. I couldn't even use the entire shareware drum machine module due to dsp limits, so I spent several days going back & forth between 1 project for mixing/fx, another for the Blue/Inferno(hummel) and a 3rd project where i would be able to enable about 3/4ths of the drum modules for individual output (always the best options) and the rest had to go to the MIX output.

I learned a great deal although by the time I had enough percussion patterns and synth parts recorded I had gotten sick and ran out of time to make an arrangement & mixdown. Realizing that if I hadn't gotten sick I would have completed the project and that I learned a LOT about working in the pulsar alone I think the format of the contest was great. One of the biggest problems for an artist is too much freedom. Give him limitations in his work and his world and watch the creative juices go to work rather than sitting in a chaotic spin cycle trying to figure out what direction to head off into...

Also, as an aside, this contest opens up the possibility for developers to release time-expire demos of certain modules to be introduced into the contest for those who don't own it...and have a chance to do an entire project with it. Not sure how appealing that is for developers but it's an interesting twist for those of us without the inclination to buy everything that comes out.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

That would be great. In fact, I have already sugested to do everything for instance, with the Vectron Player. Is more than enough an instrument to do everything.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Here's another idea:

You can use ANY synth you like but you can only use THREE patches for everything - nothing more.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

well, that would be kind of pointless (referring to the 3 patches idea) cuz basically, you can animate all the parameters into any patch... But of course, the physical limitation should be there. yeah, that's cool.

By the way, I think we should take a poll on how many users have mod II. Can someone make a homepage that takes polls? (I dunno how)

And the modI/modII idea seems like a top batter right now. Now we need some sort of way to ballance out the DSP limitations. 3dsp, and 6 dsp have to be divided of course... if it's going to be a 1 patch for everything contest.. We could also make the basic limitation a 3dsp patch. So, 6 dsp users can load 2 a the same time, while 3dsp people have to do it in 2 runs. That would result in everyone having a common ground for competition. Well.. my brain' ain't too bright at the moment. Let's get some ideas on this.
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

three patches seems reasonable.
but why put limits? if the stuff is free, everyone can do audio montage of all the sounds he can build with mod1...

another thing is that mod1 is not dead imo.
i own mod3 too, but i feel stimulating to go back to the roots. it has his own sound that's very cool and can be really bad!

i still have the free 3rd party devices from obsidian (inverter, shaper etc.) for the mod1, it's a 560kb installer, does anyone know if i can post it here? i don't know who do i have to ask....i don't remember if it was freely distributable or not.
let me know.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Even the DSP limit is a bit artificial since it depends how many voices you load. Most of the 6DSP devices would load on a Luna, but only be playable monophonic. In that case making it a 3DSP limit just means reduced poyphony.

The 3/6 split is really just to make sure Luna users are not disadvantaged.

On the otherhand, how many Luna users have ModV2 ?

:eek:
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I would like to come back to the beginning of this i.e. “LEARNING”, I think we have not to go over this main aim. Competition itself is comes to be a secondary thing. So if there are some few differences in our systems it doesn’t matter. For instance, I have 4 DSPs, some of you have an Scope SRB with 15 DSPs, well, it doesn’t matter, the important thing is to us the same elements, cos people have paid for an expensive card and I don’t think they would like to restrict themselves to us only 3 DSPs. If this was a professional competition, well… this is different, but it is a way to learn, isn’t it? Correct me please, if I’m missing something important.