January Contest discussions

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Alfonso wrote:

hi nestor,

i don't agree for the patches that have to be chosen...
the nice thing is to build those that fit your needs.
maybe this requires a couple of months more...but the nice thing for everyone that all the patches made for the contest MUST be uploaded here for everybody to use and learn.

that's a social meaning for the contest that i prefer to the individual goal of winning...of course there is a winner too, but in this way all can win something (know how and new patches).
[/quote]

It’s a great idea Alfonso!

Nevertheless, I realize that there are too many different ways of understanding this, and it’s difficult to match them all… So we need for someone to rule the ideas and us to follow. Who’s the moderator this time? Is it Algo again or not? I think the moderator should make sort of an extraction of all the ideas given here, then building a final version of what we have to use and how, and that’s it.

In fact, I can see that most ideas, IMHO, make complete sense and it’s difficult to chose one of them cos they are all interesting. Please, the moderator, common, show up and tell us what we have to use and how, which are the restrictions, categories, etc., so to get started. I want to compose! :smile:
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

The moderators are Ken, Thalamus and borg...

The winners from the previous contest.

And Borg stated in previous post what was almost the rules... Nothing defenitive until the 5th of dec., when Ken is back.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: marcuspocus on 2002-11-28 17:10 ]</font>
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

OK, everyone loves the Mod1. But why not just have a Mod1 category and a Mod 2/3 category ? After all, since the big benefit of this will be uploaded Mod devices doesn't it make sense to get some Mod 2 & 3 devices uploaded ?

That's my final "political" speech :lol: it's up to the winners to decide.

Where I rest . . .

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Spirit on 2002-11-28 19:52 ]</font>
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Thanks Marcus, never saw anything about it. Ok, so we already have moderators. I though there would be one. Well, it’s fair, cos in fact, the winners are three and things will got more universal this way. Nice.

So Ken, Thalamus and Borg, right.

Spirit, the fact is that there are many MII patches out there, and just a few for MI, I guess there are still some guys not having the MII or MIII so they can benefit if all the energy is concentrated in MI meaning more patches.

I still have MII couldn’t get the III yet.

Please, Ken, Thalamus, Borg, give us the ULTIMATUM I just want to get to work… :wink:
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

I will get to it when I get back to Japan. This wednesday... or in 3 days time. Then'll borg, thalamus and I will try to spit out some final rules as soon as possible. I mean, we still need to leave room for christmas and new years! So basically, we don't have too much time to waste.

So, anyway, borg and thalamus, can you guys put some thought into this (so as to finalize).
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Just thought I'd add that maybe it'd be better to have one Mod device for drums and one device for the music. Otherwise there'll either be no decent drums; no decent music; or weird devices with either a drum synth or oscillator chucked in to cover things . . .
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Hi Spirit, i don't see any reasons to limit the use of patches in any way. Except maybe that the patches HAVE to be loading on a pulsar 6dsp at least. One by one, that's ok, but has to be able to load it. The more we use, the more the user base will benefit, cuz we are force to upload them. So, if for your song you need a drum patch, a synth patch, a pad patch, and a bassliner patch, so what?

The thing is using 1 sound source. So, we can use it the best we can.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

OK, I was hoping for a "use one Modular device only" contest - that way when you posted the device it would contain ALL the sounds of your song in that one device. Using any Modular device means the universe is yours. But whatever.... It'll be interesting to see what rules our winning triumvirate comes up with :wink:
fra77x

Post by fra77x »

Hello guys.. i would like to use more than 1 mod2 patch in the contest. I like the idea to upload the patches i will use and the no fee concept cause i beleive that's the fun and the share of knowledge the actual points of the contest. i ´m looking forward to start working for it. I also want to ask something... When i work the midi part of the song i make the mixing in cubase and also use halion -attack for drum tracks (i sequence from another computer) is there a problem with that procedure as in the end (after the record of modular tracks) i will use a modular patch to provide the drum sounds?
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

It's occured to me that we will need some sort of support for ModI... as many people are not familiar with it (like me) and would probably need help in setting it up properly. If anyone has the time and the experience, would you be so kind as to write a little tutorial on how to get ModI up and running in SFP? (preferably along with ModII or III) If so, please open a new post somewhere. Alfonso? Spirit?

Also, Borg and I are talking about the final rules. It's looking very interesting so far. We're trying to take away as many limits as possible.

Attention:
Thalamus!! the e-mail address you have on your profile doesn't work. Please send me e-mail so we can get in contact with you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kensuguro on 2002-12-07 03:28 ]</font>
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Hi, for Mod1 installation, it is pretty easy. I have a ZIP here, containing every module and third party modules that are available for mod1, and all you gotta do, is unzip it in a folder in the devices directory... That's it...
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

hello,
first of all here is the link to the great "modular corner" site by ben walker where you can download all the mod1 devices (they are correctly classified as modules)

http://bwmodular.crosswinds.net/downloads.htm

it is the download page of the site.

but if you have any older version of pulsar cd (i can't remember, but 1.3x maybe was the last with it) you can just copy everything from it.

you don't have to choose any particular folder, because the modular frame doesn't have load menus and must be filled from the file browser.

the only little bug i noticed is the fact that the midichannel on the modular1, that is shown on the mvc, shows ch2 when it is set as ch1, but the value in sfp is correct.
it just shows 2 instead of 1, but other values are shown correctly.

there are some modules there i like very much, like an envelope with integrate vca...

you can find also many mod1 patches here in planetz, and modular corner talks about them too.

i have also the obsidian modules for mod1, a third party bunch of goodies, like inverter , adder, etc.
you can mail me.

ciao.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Thanx for the great info! I'll try to put together an "info" page of some sort when I post up the final rules, so that the participants can read the rules and also get the necessary files from the same place.
borg

Post by borg »

hi all,

this is what ken and i have come up with. there's no sign of thalamus, so i'd suggest to go with these rules if thalamus hasn't answered by sunday, 12:00, noon...

* ONLY Modular can be used as soundsource within SFP, people can ALSO use raw audio tracks, but they must PASS THROUGH a Modular patch, and no dry signal is to be heard.

* ONLY TWO different Module patches may be used, unlimited use of presets within the patch though. each patch must be able to load on 6 DSP's maximum per voice(imho, that can hardly be called a limit :smile: ).

* all free and commercial fx/mixer may be used, but remember that audio must at least run through a modular patch.

* the end date will be 10th of January 2003, please keep your song within reasonable time limits (no more than 5 minutes, 3 or 4 would be better, but hey, sometimes you NEED more time :wink: )

* there are two categories to vote on:
your favorite track, done with either Modular 1 or Modular 2/3. of course, you cannot vote for your own track :grin:
the two winners will define the next contest.
please send your votes to ken after the closure of the contest...

* each contestant should post his patches in the 'Modular Patches' :roll: section of course.

i hope every one can relate to this a bit.
so, these should be the quasi final rules. if thalamus doesn't comment, this will be it, Z folks.

it should be enough to get you started already :smile: finally...

tomorrow we will post the FINAL rules in a seperate topic.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: borg on 2002-12-07 16:17 ]</font>
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Looks very nice :smile: I think that includes as many people as possible.

When the Modular patches are posted do you think there should be some small code first like "SC - mypatchname" indicating "song contest", or will this just confuse people who wantto download but don;t know about the contest ? Should we care much about that ?

Some people will of course use existing Modular patches, in which case they'd just need to be a new preset file posted.

This'll be fun :smile: Hope we gets lots of entries.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

yeah, the naming scheme sounds very appropriate. Let's go with "SC-Jan-2002-tunename". With a zip file containing patches, any used preset, and also a short documentation in txt format. (very useful for archiving purposes) Then, we can use the format in future contests too.

Same goes for the tunes. "SC-Jan-2002-tunename"
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Very cool rules... :smile:

Let's go peoples! Let's get down to work, or should i say fun! :grin:
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

It’s time to go start making some music:

Common people, get involved in this remarkable contest!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: nestor on 2002-12-08 12:59 ]</font>
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

I'm not too sure when 12:00 Sunday is (not sure which time zone) but since the rules seem pretty finalized, I'm just going to go ahead and announce them. :smile:
Or else we're gonna have people pleading for more time. :lol:
borg

Post by borg »

yes, the modular contest begun has... mmm. it will be a hard but interesting road to travel.

i think the rules should be as above...
have fun all.