Music style definitions.

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

"It's all Rock 'n roll to me..." :grin:
Are we listening?..
garyb

Post by garyb »

they all rock,but only some roll........
emzee

Post by emzee »

Bless Ya, Keith Richards........
hubird

Post by hubird »

I never agreed with the term 'Greatest Rock'nRoll Band on Earth' for the R. Stones.
They where called a Rythm 'n Blues band before that (not to mix up with the later defined R'nB style, which is a complete different thing of course).
emzee

Post by emzee »

Do they make your heart or hips move?

Yes?......they're good
No?.......try somewhere else

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mikka on 2003-09-28 05:36 ]</font>
hubird

Post by hubird »

I think you misunderstood my intentions, Mikka.
I wasn't qualifying the R.S, I was just talking about a definition, in line with the thread.
For commercial reasons I guess they changed their 'label' of Rhythm 'n Blues band in Rock 'n Roll Band.
Hmm, at least that's how I see it.
cheerz.
emzee

Post by emzee »

Point taken. I think quite a few groups who survived lasted through several "definitions". Skiffle...to R&B to Rock.... I recall a previous post that described some of the early Beatles as "Country" and when I went back and listened, I had to agree.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mikka on 2003-09-29 00:55 ]</font>
Billy goat gruff

Post by Billy goat gruff »

I really like it when artists or songs cross over genre. I loved "Landslide", written by that brilliant Welsh Witch, when Fleetwood Mac recorded it. When I hear the Dixie Chicks version, I still love it. Great music transcends all.
emzee

Post by emzee »

Mmmm.....I'd call that commercial craft, more than art. But how would you be, sitting in some commercial music factory .... some dude in a suit comes in and tells you "We need an arrangement of Landslide for the Dixie Chicks. Have it ready by Monday. It'll be released as a single so make it good and be inspired".

Poor producer probably choked for two days.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mikka on 2003-11-03 19:15 ]</font>
scary808

Post by scary808 »

On 2002-11-28 16:10, braincell wrote:
House is an american comercial dance floor version of techno. Leave it to the americans to make music horrible. For house music you need a thumping 4/4 909 Kick, synthesizers, bass and some normal instruments such as a piano and organ and a screaming black lady.

I listen mainly to Goa Trance, Psychedelic Trance, Trance and ambient.....

I have to agree with Bowie in a recent TV interview "We have to support the underground bands because what is being played on American radio is crap".
As far as the house issue goes, I guess you've only heard the commmercial shite. Screaming Black Ladies are cool!

I thought that Goa & Psychedelic Died seven years ago(outside of Isreal). Also, without us Americans your whatever/trance wouldn't exisist. Goa,Blah,blah,blah trance has huge roots in house. Ever hear of Acid House? Oh yeah & where did "Techno" come from(Kraftwerk was something else)? Along with the Detroit cats the Chicago artists of the eighties built the foundation of what all modern electronic music(except Yanni)is based on. I personaly have some of the best ambient albums ever recorded ranging from 89-96 and nobody has recreated those times. Syzygy's Morphic Resonance(Rising High) is perhaps one of the most brilliant recordings I've heard!

As far as American radio, the commercial clear(Nazi)channel is the worst. It represents everything that is wrong with the U.S. However, there are public radio stations that allow more obscure musics they're opportunity to be heard.

I feel that the trance genres are the most formulaic but I don't slander the genre because it isn't something I'm into. I supppose what I'm getting at is be carefull of the genres you disrespect. They could be the grandmothers of of what you think is tops!
maket

Post by maket »

"As a Composer I think disco is out of the question since it represents the 1970's. I want to move forward not backward. Blues is too simple for me to compose. Rock n Roll is for younger people than me and it's main focus is on the guitar bass and vocals not keyboards. I reject it. House is an american comercial dance floor version of techno. Leave it to the americans to make music horrible. For house music you need a thumping 4/4 909 Kick, synthesizers, bass and some normal instruments such as a piano and organ and a screaming black lady.

I listen mainly to Goa Trance, Psychedelic Trance, Trance and ambient, also some music that defies category such as David Bowie and Peter Gabriel. I prefer music with no singing though because often the lyrics are depressing. I have enough pain of my own and I don't need someone elses.

I have to agree with Bowie in a recent TV interview "We have to support the underground bands because what is being played on American radio is crap".

bravo !!! bravo Braincell !!!
at0m

Post by at0m »

Scary808, IMO, both Acid and Trance originate in Germany. Someone mentioned trance is 'like Tangerine Dream with dance percussion', and Acid started here when America went for house in the mid 80ies.

Over here, Goa trance is still quite popular in the alternative dance scene. There's no clubs playing it, but for example 'mid summer nite' parties (they last 3-4 days actually) in the Ardennes here are quite legendary.

Where do Detroit artist go when they're not in Detroit? We had a massive Detroit wave here from like '95-'97. Lots of the artist been resident in clubs here in Belgium, and they're signed on sub labels of News. (News is the mother label, selling commercial stuff to compensate for more underground releases.)

I used to go to loads of clubs and parties, but since they now all exploite their customers, I quit as did most of the people who want to go out for fun and not to make the club owner buy a villa on Ibiza. Fuse club (organising http://www.ilovetechno.be ) and Kozzmozz for example still have superb playlists, but loads of people don't take the club owners rip-off no more. The younger generation think it's always been like that I suppose, and they keep going. I prefered their parties when there was 200 people on the boat, 30.000 is just too much for me.

unka unka at0m.
braincell

Post by braincell »

I wish I was there. One day I hope! Maybe you can take me to a party.
Ecogen

Post by Ecogen »

Interesting thread..I myself have been creating new styles of alternative electronic music for the outdoor scene in which i've class as a new genre. As been influenced by Drum n bass, Psy trance, etc, i have created a style- Sub Trance'n'Bass. And this for me is designed for artists of fire art twirling..The dancers can take the back seat on this one!! I have grown to write music for these twirlers and in it appears to be working.Something different anyway
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Thongsbot3000, what you wrote sounds very interesting. Is there a possibility you might posr an example of your music? I'm sure many of us would love to hear an excerpt of this "new style" you talk about. :smile:
Are we listening?..
Ecogen

Post by Ecogen »

Iam in the process of uploading some music samples within the next week..So i will put a note in the pulsar creativity section when done.

Regards
Bill Doughty

Post by Bill Doughty »

anyone checked out Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music ?

pretty amusing, and perhaps informative for some. i personally can't keep up and frankly don't care. in addition to garyb's view of styles as marketing tools, which i agree with, i also think styles come from within the culture. new, "cool" kids naming and claiming new "styles" to distinguish themselves from the old school, etc.

Bill

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bill Doughty on 2004-01-21 16:25 ]</font>
pink noise

Post by pink noise »

duke ellington once said to a music-journalist´s question "what style of music do you like best?" the following:
"to me there are just two kinds of music: good and bad. i like good music."

that brings it precisely to the point.

greetings
zezappa

Post by zezappa »

Who am I to contradict those Duke's words but I know there is good music which I don't use to hear and some not so good which I like (it depends from my spirit feeling in each particular moment).

Anyway I think this kind of discussion never leads to a consense end. :smile:

As many of you I agree style definitions are needed but not as precise closed compartiments but as reference points for customers.
Manytimes they're not but the way of music/labels industry to mislead/manipulate those more inatentive listeners (the bigger lot?!).

For musicians/artists this often lead to very well known injustices comparing true valuable careers with effectively recognised ones.

As English people says: -C'est la vie!

(those who can speak French) :razz:
better muZic makes better days
braincell

Post by braincell »

It really bothers people that there is no ultimate truth regarding what is good and what is bad artistically. We want there to be a black and a white, a wrong and a right, but music is not science.

There are reasons why people can't always agree on what good music is. Partly it is personal preference but also and very importantly, cultural differences play a role in determining how we react to music. The best musicians are often the most closed minded people which is confusing as we look to them for answers about music. I am guilty of being a musical snob. There is a lot of really bad music being made now for money, or for fame and that turns music into a kind of prostitution and that makes me angry.