suggestion: which "classical" cover??

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

bosone

Post by bosone »

hi! some time ago i realized a (dubious!) 3 electric guitar arrangement from a famous Bach Kanon. now, i'd like to record another classic theme with "modern" arrangements...
something not too difficult to play with guitar (no Paganini's Caprice... i tried and stopped at the beginning!! :smile: )...
any advice?
the first song which i thought of was Beethoven "Fur Elise" play with electrig guitar... any other ideas for this poll?
wayne

Post by wayne »

some Bartok, maybe? :smile:
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Pachelbels canon may be interesting on guitar but it is rather slow.
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

I have a great one for you:

The first slow part of of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring. It starts with that great open F minor 9 chord... :smile:
Are we listening?..
astroman

Post by astroman »

Beethoven's violin concerto in D major has some rocking parts in sentence (?) 1 and 3
Also good to realise there are sounds on earth that can't be sampled :smile:
I refer to record featuring violinist Hilary Hahn.

cheers, Tom
borg

Post by borg »

the knight's dance from prokofiev's romeo and juliet has always been a favourite of mine.
if you like branca stuff, then maybe gorecki's 'symphony of sorrowful songs' can not be denied!

anyway, two pieces that turned my eyes real watery... (especially the end of romeo and juliet. pure musical beauty)
braincell

Post by braincell »

I agree with Paul Stravinsky is modern yet melodic.
eliam

Post by eliam »

Paul Stravinsky? Who's this dude???
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Eliam! There should be a comma(virgule) between Paul and Stravinsky. :lol:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: paulrmartin on 2002-12-24 09:21 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: paulrmartin on 2002-12-24 09:21 ]</font>
eliam

Post by eliam »

Yes, I was kinda jokin'! I thought it somehow suited you well! :grin:
braincell

Post by braincell »

Very funny, Dudes.
Spy

Post by Spy »

Try arranging Bach's Orchestral Suite No.2 in B minor Badiniere:
http://music.walmart.com/m/007/79/83/66 ... 01.007.mp3

I like it :smile:
RedSun

Post by RedSun »

I think some of Chopin's nocturnes would probably be quite appropriate in this case. Most have just the right speed and their melodic content are not so out of this world that they're impossible to arrange differently.

If you feel more adventurous, you could also go for some Debussy or some Erik Satie.

RedSun .:.
Herr Voigt

Post by Herr Voigt »

I think Bach is an inexhaustible source for re-arranging, cos his music doesn't depend to colors or sounds. You can take the biggest prelude and fugue for organ and play it with an ensemble of ukuleles - it's always great! Then have a look at Beethoven's piano sonatas - most of them, especially from the middle period, you can arrange for orchestra - why not for guitar and good dynamic synths? Be careful with Chopin - if you take this music away from piano, it could be not satisfying. Chopin is "total piano"! (Btw, he's one of my favourite composers and I played a big number of pieces of him).
Orchestral works with big artfulness in arrangements (Debussy, Strawinski etc. etc.) is hard to rearrange: the colors of the orchestra are an important part of the music, and if you change them, you'd possibly destroy something ...
Maybe I'm too careful (I've studied conducting classical music), but I think so.

Astroman: sentence (?) = movement.

Yours dino-saur Thomas

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Herr Voigt on 2003-02-14 19:05 ]</font>