List what you can do.

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

wayne

Post by wayne »

:smile: Provoked by curiosity, the 'record label' thread & a looong download :wink: .

So, strictly musically, what kind(s) are you fullas confident making?
What fashion r u thrashin' with passion?
- there's a bit of this here http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... orum=21&19 ,and in the 'What style do you identify with' thread here http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... 82&forum=5 ,but this is more about what you actually do, musically, what you feel best at. There's a lot of new folks about in the last few months, a talented bunch it seems. Collaboratively speaking, it'd be beaut to see this in 1 thread , and perhaps an engineer/tech creativity thread as well :smile:

I play mainly bass, tuba, trombone, guitar & drums, + simple keyboard.

My forte would be rhythm - I'm very much into the role of the bass, as a conduit between drums and the 'front line' :wink:

Styles i play include: many forms of rock, funk, latin & african, Greek & Macedonian, Rom gypsy, Turkish, and Prog Rock :grin: . I like odd time signatures :wink: I have played in many orchestras.

Nowadays I like to use all this to create new music, trying not to sound like "Fusion". theres the F word again !

so there you go....
hope this isn't a silly idea :smile:
astroman

Post by astroman »

basically I'd consider myself keyboarder, but no virtuoso, and I'm with every style where groove is in the heart, from four-to-the-floor to Miles Davis. :grin:
Some experiences with guitar, bass and sax :lol: (no typo) too.
I like stacking crazy stuff to make crap equipment sound expensive, Casios, C64-SID and drumboxes.
I really admire :cool: Lee 'Scratch' Perry and Hilary Hahn.

cheers, Tom
garyb

Post by garyb »

i play guitar but i'm not bragging, and can fake my way around a keyboard if i hafta.i tend to be a guy who pulls parts together.i'm not sure what that means but i do know that i work mostly with reggae and rap musicians,and feel comfortable with most so called "roots" musics.
wayne

Post by wayne »

Quiet on this one........

C'mon, folks, Slip us a conFessional Post! :grin:
Kamurah

Post by Kamurah »

Well,

I can play keyboards. I'm not up to Herbie Hancock level, but then again, I am above the Brian Eno level :wink:

I can sing. I say this reluctantly because I think everyone thinks they can sing to some degree.....however I was a voice major in college.

Here is a link to some of my work:

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/153/rich_green.html

The songs "Hot Summer Nights", "AJ", and "Always For You" have vocals, the rest are just keyboard songs.

Style varies, but generally I do dance type work. But I like anything - Jazz, Rock, Classical, Electronic....whatever.

Cheers :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kamurah on 2002-05-10 09:46 ]</font>
borg

Post by borg »

i'm almost 30 now...

i started playing the guitar when i was 16. back then just some folk chords and easy black sabbath/judas priest riffs. when i was 18, we had to do a project at school. we decided to do something about the history of rock. it was a live presentation, and none of us little boys had ever been on a stage, so we started practicing and studying like hell. in 6 months time, i managed to evolve from the camp fire guitarist to a axe hero to come... but i never really sustained that curve. i just wasn't interested anymore in the soloing stuff. i wanted to play the bass, because i think it sounded much better on its own (i gave up playing in bands, because i felt no one shared my thoughts on how music should be). i wanted to go to a jazz school (19y), but my parents insisted on getting a 'normal' training first. when i started working (i was 24), i went to evening classes classical music. the first year, we only had theory and singing. the second year theory and an instrument of choice. i went for the piano, because i thought it would be of more use regarding composition. in this year, i covered two years of the course, but again couldn't keep up the good work. this time because of a new job.
by then, the guitar was burried under a thick layer of dust and the electronic era was about to begin.
now i'm trying to find my way into the digital audio world. i've picked up the guitar again, but i'm more interested in the sound and (dis)harmony. my guitar is never in standard tuning. it's too boring, i've seen that.
i'm crap as far as rhythm is concerned. i can't play the drums at all. next week, i'm gonna pick up an old drum kit at a friend's. i've always said it was due to my being right handed and left footed, that i can't get it right. :oops: practice...

so, i've a bit of theoretical background, but only just enough to know what people like ken and paul are talking about. this doesn't mean i understand it. :lol:

whenever i go on a trip abroad, i bring home a small instrument (mostly kiddy stuff), so i also have (and play a little) a crappy trumpet, kazoo, bamboo flute, polish kid guitar with oriental sound, tambourine , the smallest of casio synths, didgeridoo,...

i'm heading into the 'cut 'n' paste' direction. i play lots of instruments, but only the guitar really well, so recording little bits and processing them is my game. i'm a little proud i've never used a loop in my life that wasn't played by myself. well, apart from that indian voice, when i had just bought my sampler :roll:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: borg on 2002-05-10 12:42 ]</font>
castol

Post by castol »

i play a hard didjeridoo :lol: and i occasionally join in on drum circles with my array of ethnic percussion, plus i can pick up stuff on the keyboard, and i can look through my chord book for different chordal progressions/scales play with those. when i did have a functioning keyboard i would often just pull up a nice patch from something and just play. that usually amounted to me contorting my fingers in strange patterns and trying to repeat those patterns somewhat over time to create something that didn't sound totally random. that allways felt good.

but...lately as andy mentions....i'm getting tired ot the 12 tone equally tempered scale. i have a a long list of different mircrotuning tables (right term?) from my ex eps16+ (which you could go gonzo on the microtuning if you were dedicated and determined enough) i have been meaning to experiment with some more.

mostly i just do the sorts of thing andy does, record sounds and occasionally me playing something and arranging them into "pieces". that seems to work best.

i eventually want to become more of a learned musician though. but being somewhat clueless has its advantages as i'm sure most folk will tell you :wink: