A Planet Z record label?

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Kamurah

Post by Kamurah »

Can I play too? If so, count me in! :grin:
Retro

Post by Retro »

No wonder I'm addicted to this place... You guys come up with some great ideas!

If the current collaboration experiments go well (and I'm sure they will) maybe we could break up into groups according to style and have lots of projects going at the same time, which we could then put into a compilation album. Hmmmmm indeed!
at0m

Post by at0m »

Why not mix 'em styles :grin:
Robert

Post by Robert »

Well, I've got some response.

When I floated this idea, it wasn't just idle speculation. It was based on two experiences in the 'real world'. That is to say, the selling of your music.
The first, I have some experience of; which is, footslogging around as many record shops, pluggers and distributors as I could. Also, taking my record into clubs all over London and when I was on holiday, Ibiza and America.
The other is a more corporate approach. Through her job, my wife knows virtually every senior record executive, distibutor and retailer in Britain. As well as being close friends with one of the top dj's in Europe and also a bloke who is a first rank masterer was involved in cutting records of the French dance scene for the British market.

Now, as far as can I see, we have three options:
1 - A group co-operation with the approval of John Cooper. The 'Planet Z Records' option.
2 - A group co-operation without the approval of John Cooper. The 'Creasote Records' option.
3 - Or, I just go it alone, getting people involved as I go.

So, what do you think?

Robert
at0m

Post by at0m »

I see you're very serious about this, Robert. Maybe we could do some more competitions, to get the best songs out of the community here.

For example, I have many original CW software I could give away, certainly now that SFP is out. I have 3 CW IO boards, on each of them I have full Pulsar OS.

I also recently had some mails with questions from professionals, asking for help. When I asked for the names they used on z, some said they were no member, only reading posts. The leechers :grin:

Maybe new competitions, or a 'planetz song of the month' could motivate people to join and stimulate our musical talents.

at0mic.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
garyb

Post by garyb »

i'm not angry....

what next?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: garyb on 2002-05-13 22:48 ]</font>
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

Pretty intriguing suggestion Robert!

I'm not sure if it makes sense to use the Planet Z name on the project or not, but I'm certainly willing to consider it if people like the idea. I don't have a Trademark on the name or anything! :smile:

An issue to be sorted out: people here make music in all different genres. If you're intending a commercial release of a compilation, then it would seem necessary to put together music of the same genre (rather than having a mess of different styles on one CD, which is less appealing).

But overall, it sounds like a fantastic way to get exposure for some of the artists here, especially considering your industry connections.

-John
ohmelas

Post by ohmelas »

Logistical Business Prolblem and Analysis:

Artist Requirements:
Method of getting Paid-Pay Pal Acocunt
Legal Methodology-BMI/ASCAP membership
Meet Label Requirements

Record Label Requirements:
Meet Artist Requirements
Establish a one year artist fee to create inital capitol. Something extremely cheap $20.00. Every user could afford that.
Utilize BMI/ASCAP to integrate a pay on download fee to Artists. For everydown of their song load they get 5 cents. Payable quarterly.
Establish a fee for buyers. Make it something really cheap like $25.00/Year.
Put the files in a streaming format and not a downloading format to deter pirates.
Use the money intially in business plan to create traffic and revenue. Hitz.Hitz.Hitz.
Make artists and users since a licensing agreement, electronically.

User Requirements
Credit Card SSL 128-bit server stuff.
Pay annual fee to agency
stream music at thier leisure.

Just some logistics off the top of my head. I'll think of more I'm sure. I suppose I could write a Request for Proposal white paper on the subject and detail the logistics using existing off the shelf technologies that are readily available and easily purchasable by the'z.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ohmelas on 2002-05-21 19:38 ]</font>
caleb

Post by caleb »

Wow! Since I first looked at this topic, it has certainly come a long way.

I'll tentatively say I'm interested as long as any material I finish for such a project is considered acceptable by all involved. There's nothing worse than being a weak link.
Caleb

Happiness is the hidden behind the obvious.
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

I'll do a track, if you all would like. I want nothing to do administartion though!
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Just reiterating my position: I’m ready to go with it. If there are not enough people involved so far, we can always compose two or three songs each.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
djody

Post by djody »

We will do a Psytrance track or 2 or 3 HAHA

No seriously I'm in a Project called ParadoX with Psyjurr and we would like some exposure.

Laterz

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: djody on 2002-05-29 15:01 ]</font>