anyone willing to start a new music project?

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

Nestor and his group seem to have a real good time at this so I was thinking why not start another one? let me know
borg

Post by borg »

sure!!! calippo asked about the same thing here: http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... &forum=5&4

little response so far... i'd really like to join in! don't know what the SFP thing will bring, maybe it's best to see how it turns out. maybe it's not a bad idea to keep my SCSI drive for a while with pulsar 3.01 installed ( http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... forum=19&4 it's in the tech forum. maybe it was a bad idea to post it up there because there's nothing much practical info for us mac users :wink: over there, so maybe i can draw some attention to the topic over here).

wow, this must be magic. oneinamillion just came out of my speakers... damn good song.
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
zounds

Post by zounds »

Fine, I'm in!

Make a to-do-list and what kind of style it should be, who to serve the first files a.s.o.

Then we get calippo over here to this thread to join and start it up.

Or shall I do some suggestions? Just mail me: zounds@web.de

:grin: :grin: :grin:
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

I'm in too!

Guitar or Bass Clarinet...

What style?
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

BTW, legros, you're gonna sing in this one right? You better!
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

this forum is really starting to make me happy! you guys are great. cool to know you are willing to do this stuff. ok we got time right? i'd like to be the project leader here but i really care for democracy (fuck here i go again) so lets hear about everything you guys can think of. Marcus i've heard you play clarinet and i really would be glad for you to handle this part. Zounds, get callipo over here and what would you suggest to start off with? i for one will think about the methodology and post a reply within 20 hours...

To girls with big tits :grin:
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

On 2002-04-30 15:57, legros wrote:
i really care for democracy . . .
To girls with big tits :grin:
:eek:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: algorhythm on 2002-04-30 16:09 ]</font>
borg

Post by borg »

:cool: i play the guitar as well, and i have a trumpet (oh god, why have i said this?), but play it very limited. i can see here: a kazoo, a toy 'guitar', and of course electric fun all around...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: borg on 2002-04-30 16:25 ]</font>
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Hey algo, it was his 69'th post, what do you expect? :lol:
wayne

Post by wayne »

I got a tuba, double bass, 3 bass guitars, 3 guitars, trombone, euphonium, accordian, harmonium, harmonica, drums & percussion, oh yeah and a Pulsar. Got room to squeeze me in? :smile:

....to girls who are my gorgeous wife Irma! :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wayne on 2002-04-30 16:31 ]</font>
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

why do i feel like this is going to be the most fucked up song ever to be recorded :smile:
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

just came back from the restaurant with candie and she gave me a couple of ideas (this girl really rocks)

Wayne, you bet your in! i'm trying to find a concept that wouldn't limit the number of contributors as this would be counterinternetwise :grin: ... something like lets let everybody have a shot at what needs to be done at time t and vote for the best suggestion; i was thinking about starting off with simple drum loops say as soon as we get a determined number of them, then we would enter the voting phase and pick one up to start with... then reenter the next posting phase, then voting etc... the process would go on like this until we get the song finished. i would only tell what needs to be done next and decide when there are enough postings.

What do you think?

hurry up candie's getting real excited :lol:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: legros on 2002-04-30 17:45 ]</font>
wayne

Post by wayne »

:cool: . I'll be back on the Pulsar throne Saturday night, after 3 months on the other side of the country working, so I,m hangin' to get fangin' into some bangin' & twangin' (& tootin') :grin: . Yeah, why not audition the drums, run 'em up the flagpole, see who salutes and come to an arrangement. You'll probably have to do a little bit of bossing, tho, bro - I certainly am occasionally lax in discipline :wink:
regards 2 Candie :grin:
Retro

Post by Retro »

Can I mix it? :smile:
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Wow! This is great! More of it!
I’ve been thinking it’s probably faster if the projects are based first in MIDI, whatever the first steps could be. And then adding Audio cos it would fit better than the opposite. We started with Audio and it’s extremely difficult to match it with the MIDI parts, cos MIDI becomes time-perfect while Audio - our way of playing - is human and so imperfect in time. There will always be little differences when quantizing, and you would always fall into asymmetrical times. So check it out. Cheers :wink:
zounds

Post by zounds »

Good idea, Nestor.

I guess we could exchange in cubase-vst-song-format (*.all)?
This along with the audio-trax. So if Midi is changed, everyone gets the new *.all and records
the changed audio-version so that in the end all
audio is the same bpm and arrangement and can be
mixed f.e. in nuendo.

Style-suggestion: jazz-funk? (with sum funny gimmicks tho?) place for sequencial solos by different instruments (sax-solo if anyone, clarinet solo, synth-solo etc. following one after another with same kind of bridge between, but harmonic change with every new solo?). This kind of "this is our band" :wink:

OK, I go for calippo now, c u l8r
calippo

Post by calippo »

Thanx very much zounds! :grin:
I almost missed this. Alright, let´s make a brainstorming and actually start with sfp 3.1. I think cubase as a basis would be cool.
BTW I´m quite good in playing the blues harp, it´s a bit special for electronics, but sounds always cool thruogh a high gain guitar amp...
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

Allright!! Nestor, thanks for the advise. Midi files would be an option but at this stage, i was thinking more of kicking this off with a little drumloop contest. But maybe drumloops are a bit restrictive. Why not post complete loops to start with? And selecting funk/jazz/gizmos as a style is a good idea.

that voting system could be a good idea although i don't think we should solely rely on it. What needs to be avoided is for someone to work his butt out and having his work dumped because someone else came up with something better.. and well, it's not too tempting to work on something that might not be included in the song. Anyway we'll see how it goes. Loops are quick and easy to do so i suggest we apply the technique at this time.

Aaah now how do we share those files :smile: repository of course! i have posted the first loop here: http://www.kturn.com
we get a 40M free space but if anyone has a better solution (this one is quite slow and limited) let us know. log in as legros, password qwerty and browse into the public folder. You might have to right click on the file and select "save target under..." as windoze player seem to fail to resolve the url (didn't try winamp). I suggest to encode them in mp3 format as this is just to get a rough idea of what the song could be

hmm what else? oh zounds, not everybody works with cubase so maybe we should stay away from proprietary formats at this level of.. aaah should i say it.. development. Sharing midi and audio files and keeping the electronics/plugins on the pulsar platform should be enough to get our systems near compatible.. and wayne, don't worry, we all lack discipline at some point but we got all the time we need don't we

This might be the first step of the methodology. Then, yes i see it! once the first loop is selected, we could make variations on it so that an intro, verse, chorus, bridge (1,2, 3 :grin: ) and end of the song could be further created? and once that is pieced together, we could have instrumentists play the whole parts etc...

oh well waiting for your inputs...
calippo

Post by calippo »

A whole lot of good ideas, legros.
I think the voting system is fine, I don´t think anybody´s work will be dumped for it can still be the básis of another song.
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

glad you could make it calippo