Recording Acoustic Drums

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

maket

Post by maket »

I want try record Acoustic Drum set using piezo ceramic Transducers(Not converting to midi).But i need muffle drums also,becouse of neibor's... :smile:What you people think,is it possible get from this way good sound with some processing ?
Any muffle suggestion?Hi-Hat?
Best regards!
garyb

Post by garyb »

hmmm. good luck! sounds easier to just use sampled or synth sounds.if it works, give me the details!
wayne

Post by wayne »

A drum sounds best when struck properly - can you record when they're at work? Shout them some tickets to a long opera? Otherwise using different sticks can help - I like to use large chopsticks sometimes, of the serving variety. They are softer but retain some of the thwacking attitude. Also, a good way to get a decent kick sound is to wrap a foam mattress around the front head of the drum so it sticks out in a tube, then place a mic at the end of the tube.We call this "Mr Snuffalupagus" and it gives good bottom end through just about any old mic while cutting down spill. I suppose it doesn't make it all that much quieter, though...
maket

Post by maket »

Sanx Wayne!Good idea about using different sticks!About foam mattress ...May i try use it for all drums:snare,toms,kick?
wayne

Post by wayne »

Only ever tried it on the kick - it makes a sm57 sound a bit more like a proper bass mic, as the longer wavelength gets more of a chance to form :grin: . It would give you less of an open sound if you tried it all over the kit (and it would look hilarious), but more manipulation in the mix. Anyway, be interested to hear how you got on :wink:
BTW, I just scored a full set of old Zildjian cymbals at a garage sale for $100Aus :grin: :grin: :grin: I'm so happy today!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wayne on 2002-04-22 17:03 ]</font>