Need advice on Jazz chords.

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

remixme

Post by remixme »

I'm doing an arrangement of Disneys The bare neccisities, its pretty much finished, but I need to know some good chords for a 8-12 bar improvised break, after the chorus and before going into the next break.
Any help would be much appreciated, although there is only so much help I can accept oweing to the fact it is an assessed piece of work.
Please contact me by private mail

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: remixme on 2002-03-24 01:48 ]</font>
astroman

Post by astroman »

PG Music's Band-in-a-Box will do the job. You may learn from it, or it will even do the work for you - you decide.
They have a fantastic collection of Jazz styles on board. Check out their demo and get inspired or lazy :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astroman on 2002-03-24 15:08 ]</font>
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I'm afraid that talking about Jazz Chords, you have to get your head into some theory and work out slowly, the different structures of the broken chords, understand them and so being able to apply them. Jazz harmony is the richest harmony available.

If you play guitar, I would recommend you to get any book on Jazz chords, there are many good ones, and so you can learn the chords and get use to them.

If you play keyboard, try to find the “Real Book”, which is no less than a Bible of Jazz, book to be found among Jazz musicians. There you'll find thousands of melodies arranged by many different Jazz composers, most of them with the “standard” usage of jazz chords. Sometimes not so “standard”, but most of them are. You'll learn a lot in a few weeks time. :wink:
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Applied theory is a very good way to start.
If you know anything about chord analysis, such as how to analyse a Bach chorale, you're on the right track. It's really just a question of learning how tensions resolve.
There's no real quick way of learning about jazz harmonies...Do what sounds right to you!
Are we listening?..
remixme

Post by remixme »

Yeah it was a few weeks ago when I posted that. Basically I needed advise on chords to help fill a bridge without simply rehasing what had gone before.
I do actually learn stuff from real books, I can read music but not sight read very well in real time, so the main way for me to learn a song is to look at the chords and improvise.
In the end I ended up using an alternative form of a 12 bar blues to fill the bridge section and thus far it seems to work perfectly.
Thanks for the advice though!
thermos

Post by thermos »

to late now but for the future.

these links will give an easy introduction to basic theory about scales and chords.

for scales:
http://www.computermusic.co.uk/tutorial ... heory1.asp

for chords:
http://www.computermusic.co.uk/tutorial/theory2/1.asp

hope you find this usefull
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

basically, to me, if the chords you use consists of more than 4 notes (not counting octaves), it's going to start sounding somewhat jazzy.

here's a post I made a while back, check it out if you're interested. It talks about a fun progression scheme that I've become addicted to.
http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... orum=17&14
It's an alternative way to have halftone dissonance within a chord, other using minor 9ths, or using the VII to hit the VI, depending on which end of the spectrum you come from. (man, these naming schemes are always so cumbersome) I'm so addicted to it, I just used it in my latest vocal piece.. the one with the horrible drums..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kensuguro on 2002-04-26 13:59 ]</font>