Dirty Synth Sound

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Surrept

Post by Surrept »

Heyas I was just wondering if you guys have any thoughts on the best way to get some really nice dirty/warm/fat synth sounds out of a pulsar2 using whatever synths/effects. Im goin for the same type of dirty synth sound that a lot of UK producers are using right now for Drum N Bass. If anyone is familiar with Bad Company then you know the kinda synthy sound im lookin for. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
borg

Post by borg »

check out miniscope (comes with pulsar) or dubsub. nasty machines...

mmm bad company... the full cycle crew 's comin' to brussels next month. can't wait...
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

don't know Bad Company, but I have been known to make a dirty sound on Pulsar . . .

dubsub2 and saturn work well for me (also - check out hummel's blue synth mod, and use the high-pass filter!!!).

it is really about FX - a little bit of chorus, tube processing, and the right combination of distortion and filtering.
check out ZFilter right here at planetz - the best $30 I spent on Pulsar, hands down.
Surrept

Post by Surrept »

Nice ill check em out. Ive heard a lot of songs using the dub sub and I definately like what i hear with that. That Zfilter sounds interesting so ill more likely than not be purchasing that this week. Much thanks guys. And any more suggestions are still greatly appreciated! :razz:
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I like using Arikama's popular YM2151+ ModV2 patch and putting it through Celmo's guitar amp modeller. What comes out can sound very close to mangled guitar.
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

For dirty and fat basses, get the Pro-One, fatness guaranteed.
Surrept

Post by Surrept »

Uhhh sure but what is the Pro-One and where do I get it :razz:
Surrept

Post by Surrept »

Actually scratch that I found it. Believe it or not the first page i tried had it :razz:
astroman

Post by astroman »

I usually layer some old fashioned lofi stuff to the Pulsar synths. My buddies are K4, DB50XG (in QS300 mode) and C64 SID.
Imho the various outs add more character and roughness to the sound.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astroman on 2002-03-14 14:39 ]</font>
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

It's a software version (they call it software survival kit) of the Sequential Circuits Pro-One analog synth (from somewhere in the 80's). It's amazing for basslines, acid sounds and all sort of other analog-style sounds, very good sound. And it has a sequencer and arpeggiator too. You can get it from http://www.winecountrysequential.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: King of Snake on 2002-03-22 12:49 ]</font>
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I absolutely love the Hummel's Inferno synth it's really good for those kind of sounds. Of course, you can always try unusual FXs to get to those specially disfigured sorts of sounds. Amphetamine it’s a very good synth to go with as well.
castol

Post by castol »

my two patches for the modular that i've posted on here sound if nothing else, pretty dirty, imo.

me personally i'm trying to get away from being so dirty with them. i am looking for some ,maybe slightly dingy sounds out of these patches/ poabf(conv) does have some not so dirty presets. i just am seeming to be lured into...the dirt...heh. must....come out....

they are dis+taste_v1 and v_1-1. a little different sounding between the two, but rougly the same & poabf(conv).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: castol on 2002-03-22 21:30 ]</font>
at0m

Post by at0m »

Nice line-up!! Also check some of http://www.Neutron7.com synths, for now they're still free and sound sometimes really weird and modulated -on the edge and that's where we wanna be :wink: Great disto's and filters, (here's my favorites:) Harmonic Distortion, Star ][ synth and the upcoming Rhino (I've only b-tested it, it's c-o-o-l !)

Also http://www.spacef.com has great modulated filters.

at0m.

cheers algo :lol:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: at0mic on 2002-03-23 07:56 ]</font>
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

:lol: small problem with your coding atomic? " / " ? :lol:
ontik

Post by ontik »

I too like my basses ENORMOUS!!

If I may be so bold, please check a track I've written using the DUB SUB II fed thru a CW harmonic flanger. Its not D&B, its got a kinda cheesy house beat but the bassline's a monster and I think you'll find that the DUB SUB II got the minerals you're looking for.

Note: there are two basslines, you want to hear the one the comes in about the 01:30 mark and play LOUD!

ALSO! as I said I have two basslines here and if you let it play for a while your hear the other join in for yet another layer of depth. This illustrates why layering is worth the effort.

And let us know what you reckon too ( of the bass, not necessarily the track but you can comment there too if you want )

CYa!
ontiK.

"If I have to explain, you won't understand."