do the polka baby!

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

This is a thought that's been on my mind for quite a while... ya know, it seems like the classic ppl were in a similar situation... they had dance with different styles, and music that went with it. And they had occasional dance parties with... dance music. It's funny if you look at the world of classic that way. Johan Strauss would have been like the legendary DJ that made everybody dance. Making an orchestration of a song would have been like making a dance remix. Betcha half the people did waltz because it was the hot dance of those days. :lol:
I mean, they're like guys wearin' wigs with tights and they're all, "yeah, do the polka.. feel the groove, uh uh" And you get gallop masters who take the floor with breath taking gallp moves. People would be like, "my friend, your gallop is marvelous! May I ask what your name is?" "I go by the name, STUD" And then of course, he gets all the chicks. A month later, everybody's biting his moves.
I'm tellin' ya.. people probably weren't much different back then. :lol:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kensuguro on 2002-03-11 08:31 ]</font>
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

I agree!
Just one thing, in the case of the waltz the church got involved and called it the "Dance of the Devil" because it was a dance in which a man put his hand on the woman's side.
Kind of the Dirty Dancing of the day... :lol:

I think I may get the hang of this after all!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: paulrmartin on 2002-03-11 08:43 ]</font>
astroman

Post by astroman »

Yeah, even the Who weren't the first to smash their equipment. Piano virtuoso Franz Liszt is said to have killed quite some Grands by his hands. Must have been a nightmare for concert promoters in those days of horse transportation. :roll:
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

And of course, not too many people know that Beethoven continued to write music after loosing his hearing. He used to lay his ear on the piano lid as he played just to feel the vibration of the strings. So I want you all to go home and lay your heads on top of your synthesizers just to hear the vibration of the strings :smile: Have a great weekend!
eliam

Post by eliam »

Funny thread!
And I believe that all the music, or at least a vast majority of it, was commands made for the church or the king's court... I think that Beethoven finally cut himself and music free from institution's tastes and chose what notes would the orchestra play, regardless of the "taste of the day"... Not unlike today where most of the diffused music is nothing else than the big labels, major promoters and diffusers' choice based on sclerotic mass-marketing mind-numbing hypnotic-binding self-annihilating strategies...
Now this is changing, but a rupture is necessary to break art free from the mold imposed upon it for means of mass-domination...
Sorry to give this thread a not-as-funny-as-it-started turn, but this is my point.
:grin: Peace.
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Zappa said there is no progress unless there is a break from the norm. I will go further with Eliam's reply and say that these formulae used by pop song writers should break away from the norm to give us something new to listen to in our cars and kitchens. :lol:
Are we listening?..
garyb

Post by garyb »

ah yes.it sure seems like european history is the only history that matters.music is a thing that humans do, like farting.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I'm not very musical when farting I'm rather noisy, but my grandfather was! He used to fart with incredible musicality, kind of neoclassical music, cos is difficult to get the right pitch that way, it was a bit rotten BTW. Sometimes he would spend a minute or so farting and there was many tones going out of the box. It remains me the sounds of an old analogue synthesizer, sort of theremin or something like that. I'm not sure I should feel proud of it. I'm just sorry not to be able to fart like he did.

Not kidding: I once sow a TV program and there were a couple of guys that farting, could reproduce a very well known melody. They would intercalate their farting sounds one after the other, it was pretty amazing cos they kept a good rhythm and their pitch was good enough to understand the tune, amazing! Should I sample mine in order to do some fusion loops? Perhaps… :lol:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nestor on 2002-03-18 00:06 ]</font>
at0m

Post by at0m »

:lol:
You could make it a Mod2 "Vintage GrandFarter" :lol:
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Techno ain't dead, it just smells funny..

Sorry, Frank
Are we listening?..
borg

Post by borg »

damn, i've been collecting some samples myself with the intent to make an entire song made with, yeah, farts. maybe a bit embarrassing...
farts make me laugh. i love farts!!!

sorry, had to get it of my chest... :lol:

make me go bananas,..., it's nice to be a lunatic.

what a thread!!!
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

This forum is supposed to be about creativity... What is going on with us? Astrological influence perhaps? A life full of frustration and knocks in the head? Shouldn't we all go to the psychiatrist? Well… we should be careful he could be a Pulsar owner and a fan of farting loops, too! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

John, it's time to create an “Out of Balance Forum” for Pulsar users…. Heheheheheheh
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

ahh, there's always a thread where everyone's going berserks. hehe, reminds me of the desert island synth thread.. Err, that was where I was going nuts. :lol:

fart awaaaayyy!!!!!!!!!
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

It's a GAS, man!
garyb

Post by garyb »

yuh shmell me!
borg

Post by borg »

i have never been interested in the perfume, only sonic qualities... :lol:

what about a STS thread where everyone can upload their programs? even more :lol:

the human beat box
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
dblbass

Post by dblbass »

I feel compelled to do my part to keep this thread on a proper level.

Q: Why do farts smell ?

A: So that deaf people may enjoy them too.

[rimshot]

A thought: Mod 2 might be okay for synthesizing a "flatulator" , but I should think the best approach would be physical modelling - you'd need to model a gas bag which expends with one force, and a fleshy "reed" . Hmmm. Project for a rainy day.

For me, I'll stick to my Bach, but for those wishing to pursue this particular line further should first study the work of the original master, Le Petomane. This link will help get you started:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_394

cheers, mates

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dblbass on 2002-03-19 18:36 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dblbass on 2002-03-20 19:23 ]</font>