On the aesthetics of elctronic disco music.

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Absolutely true… and Egypt is now being recognized, has many more thousand of years than expected. There were many crazy speculations made about the tests with the Carbon 14th, but the last discoveries have shown Pyramids to be much older than what they first said: about 4.000 to 7.000 years old.

Scientists will have to recognize, soon, the existence of Atlantis… at last! Scientists are always behind visionaries and that makes me laugh :lol:
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
at0m

Post by at0m »

We're going OT here, but you're right Nestor. The piramids are built throughout Egypt, perfectly reflecting a star-map. Only problem is, how could the Egypts have known how the stars were like 5000yrs before they built the piramids? Only a couple of years ago, with all our high tech, we've discovered that the stars were like that long before piramids were built. Plus, they perfectly allign with some Central American temples, many 1000s of kilometers away from them. Much is still undiscovered... Sometimes it makes me wonder how many civilisation cycles have existed on this planet. And how they could have disappeared.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

well, this whole thing about civilization goes to prove how a whole set of tradition, culture, lifestyle, phylosophy... things that were treasured and valued at that time, could just all of a sudden disintegrate. Or most of the time, destroy itself.

It's sort of like what happens in the world of music too... Well, atleast we have a fairly well kept history of notations and scores so things don't just explode and "disappear", but its phylosophy and values are very easily lost with time. It's simply because music is written within a context, and without it, the piece won't work. Of course, we can try to understand what it was like, by studying it's historical/sociological (or whatever) importance, but that's only a form of academic understanding. The true essence is lost forever.

So it must be a human thing... building something, believing in something, working towards a goal. And something happens, they start destroying it. Next moment there's a whole new something to build, whole new set of beliefs to build by, and a new goal. The more creative you are, the more destructive potential you have.

These civilizations must have been pretty creative to have been able to totally wipe themselves out. :lol: The ones mensioned are all quite unique if you think about it.

With music? Shewww! I don't even want to think about how many cycle there were! :lol: It's just the same. Things become saturated, and that's the destruction. That form (or let's say, "civilization" for metaphoric means) becomes history. Zzzip, a new cycle begins. But with music it's cool, you can switch civilizations even if it's an already dead one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kensuguro on 2002-09-05 19:43 ]</font>
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Yes atOmic, I guess we are far away from really knowing what we are in fact doing here alive, and how things took place in this wonderful earth and when... There are many interesting questions to pose about Egypt, even being OT, but… who knows… we are maybe finding our way through this conversation, and by the end of the thread, we reach a better understanding in regard to the aesthetics of music. Well, one of the great questions I’m referring to is: “WHERE ARE THE EGYPTIANS TOOLS”, because never ever has anybody found a single screwdriver or anything like that… there is not a single tool… isn’t this strange for such an advance civilization? Another: How did they build their pyramids if we can’t today still do it ourselves with our technology, even having Pulsar? :lol:
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Ke wrote: "The more creative you are, the more destructive potential you have."

Ok Ken.. I will stop composing now....NOT! :lol:
Are we listening?..
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

hehe.. "destructive", or in other words... "the ability to take things apart, so you can check it why the heck it does what it does"! Analysis? Decomposition? Slice and dice? There are so many strange things that a creative mind does. hehe. THAT'S why no body stops!
garyb

Post by garyb »

Well, one of the great questions I’m referring to is: “WHERE ARE THE EGYPTIANS TOOLS”, because never ever has anybody found a single screwdriver or anything like that… there is not a single tool…
this isn't strange.leave a screw driver or some plastic around for 1000 or 2000 years and try to find it.......
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I think you need to get in touch with some Archeologists, you'll be suprised at how long a tool can wait till somebody finds it... Remember the Mayas, the Aztecs, the Toltecs, the Fenicians, the Greeks, and even olders ones like Babilonian Civilization.
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

And what about the Far Side's "Cow Tools" and "Crow Tools"?... :lol:

How did we get to tools in Babylonia form Aesthetics of Disco Music?
Are we listening?..
garyb

Post by garyb »

they liked to dance.
electronics are simple mathematics,applied.
they had mathematics.
they had music.
therefore, they liked to boogie.(the rest is obvious)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: garyb on 2002-09-07 13:55 ]</font>
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

On 2002-09-07 10:46, paulrmartin wrote:
And what about the Far Side's "Cow Tools" and "Crow Tools"?... :lol:

How did we get to tools in Babylonia form Aesthetics of Disco Music?
This is great! :lol: :lol: :lol:
astroman

Post by astroman »

:grin:
all the old paintings on the tombs
they do the sand dance don't you know
if they move to quick (oh whey oh)
they're falling down like a domino
... walk like an egyptian...
:grin:
at least kind of disco, though not electronic, but a good mixing job anyway
hawkeyebigsteve

Post by hawkeyebigsteve »

http://www.phreak.co.uk/stonehenge/psb/bigsteve.htm
As you can see talking of pyramids and disco music on a pulsar tip heres one we built at stonehenge
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/389/dj_henge.html
fransje

Post by fransje »

I just _had_ to respond too this. I might be a bit late... but I dont care :wink:

For one; every song is creativity. That has to earn your respect regardless off what kind off music it is. A comment which isnt postive or motivating is simply a comment off someone who needs to look in the mirror some more (imo)! We are all musiscians, act like one.

If you are looking for all the things your write down in, say, techno music you are listening in a way I would never listen to music.

You expect your music to have things in it, no wonder it sucks when you dont get it :smile: I feel music, see what it does with me... and oooooh BOY does techno give me energy :smile:

And the 4/4 thing. When are people happy ? When they dont think. 4/4 keeps people focused. Your thinking is influenced. You stay in the moment, you feel great and you smile :smile: Its like meditation actually.... have you ever tried meditating with people talking too you ? IT doesnt work :smile: Thats why I dont like ocals :smile: I start to listen instead off feel...

Just listen with differnt ears, and you will hear what us techno junkies hear :smile: Its just a way off looking/listening too the music.

Cheers,

Frans

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fransje on 2002-10-25 05:55 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fransje on 2002-10-25 05:57 ]</font>
braincell

Post by braincell »

Robert,

I haven't listened to much music on this site but from what I have heard it is way beyond the quality of other MPG sites.

I love electronic music. Some people don't like it for the simple reason that they can not accept a new style or concept. The reason you can not easily teach an old dog new tricks is because the old dog has a sense or what "normal" is. To offer anything new would require the old dog to redefine what reality is. This can be very upsetting to the old dog. The train has left the station and you are being left behind. Wave goodbye Robert!

There is good electronic music and bad electronic music just like any other form of music. Having a steady beat and tempo and the classic sounds is a part of the style. That is what we like about this music.

A future of music (there will be many branches of the tree) is a marriage of music and animation. A lot of us make music at home but more people are making home grown animation. Check out Tech TV's "Eye Drops". "Bands" would consist not only of musicians and sound designers but also artists. I see no reason for music and art to be in different camps. It is holding back culture to separate them

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: braincell on 2002-10-27 12:41 ]</font>
at0m

Post by at0m »

I think Robert`s a techno fan too, but that he want to question how (mainly commercial) techno is made. The routine of the simple 4/4, standard constructions etc.
He wants us to re-think and discuss on how to use our technology. For future music has to regain some depth. We need to be constantly looking for ways to improve and not to repeat ourselves over and over.

Not so easy, what do you think!?
fransje

Post by fransje »

I think we will see much much much more live performances in the techno scene. I think with the live performances will come artsts who will do something different, just because they feel like it :smile: Any when something is done live, or semi live with ableton like programs, people will like differnt tunes, just because it live. But thats how I look at live performances.

The how part has got me thinking. How I would change my 4/4 techno songs. or how I will make `different style' techno songs in the future !? I have no idea really :smile: I am far to busy learning SFP at the moment, building tracks isnt something I am good at yet. Really... I would love to hear the difference between a 4/4 techno song and a non-4/4 techno song :smile: Maybe then I can give better comments :smile:
braincell

Post by braincell »

Atomic,

I wouldn't want to put words in his mouth but clearly a fan of electronic music would not refer to it as "disco". I'm sure he was in the "disco sucks" camp way back in the 70's.

I listen to Goa, Psychedelic Goa, Trance and Ambient. Robert probably isn't even aware that there is actually good electronic music.
at0m

Post by at0m »

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: at0mic on 2002-11-03 20:20 ]</font>
astroman

Post by astroman »

how about this one (found by chance in an article about electronic music from 1957)

... if it would be a big clock and sound like an organ I'd be glad about it...
W.A Mozart

also known for writing a method to 'compose an arbitrary number of waltzes by use of two dices'

cheers, Tom