On the aesthetics of elctronic disco music.

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

braincell

Post by braincell »

I'm sure Bach would have loved electronic music.

Robert:

Please note that most of Bach's music is in 4/4 or 3/4 and does not contain tempo changes!!!!

Bach composed lots of music for the Pipe Organ, an instrument even more mechanical than the piano!
Robert

Post by Robert »

It's pushing it a bit far to say that Mozart was some sort of 18th Century Stockhausen, but what he did do and what was fashionable at the time, was to compose a two-voice minuet where certain bars were interchangeable with others composed with the same harmonic function.
A good link is:
http://www.studyworksonline.com/cda/con ... 8,00.shtml

And thinking about it, this doesn't sound a lot different from my 'random melodics, cell harmonics' idea. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Robert
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

random melodics, cell harmonics... Does Ornette Coleman ring a bell?
Are we listening?..
Robert

Post by Robert »

Hi ya Paul,

I suppose you mean 'Harmolodics'? although I think he tried to move away from chord progressions as such. Here's a good link that has some stuff about harmolodics:

http://www.outsideshore.com/school/alma ... /index.htm

Anyway, as far as I see it, all jazz can be called 'random melodics, cell harmonics', just travelling at different harmonic rhythms.
And by random, I mean that no-one else in the band would have any idea what you're 'melodics' will sound like until you've played them.

My idea though, was to try to create a whole passage that 'felt' like, for instance, IIb moving to another passage that 'felt' like V7. That's a bit simplistic, but you get the idea.
Can a polyphonic texture be created in such a way as to suggest a certain chord, acting as a particular function within a set progression? Or is it just very easy!

As it happens, I've put that idea away for awhile and decide to concentrate on 'the total chromatic'

And don't say 'does Smith-Brindle ring a bell!'

Robert
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Great link, Robert. I'll get back to you when I get reading done
Are we listening?..
wayne

Post by wayne »

On 2002-11-13 13:20, Robert wrote:
My idea though, was to try to create a whole passage that 'felt' like, for instance, IIb moving to another passage that 'felt' like V7. That's a bit simplistic, but you get the idea.
Can a polyphonic texture be created in such a way as to suggest a certain chord, acting as a particular function within a set progression? Or is it just very easy!
I reckon some African and Latin music gets there, by having no chords spelled out but a bunch of different rhythmic countermelodies suggesting what they may be, e.g. Thomas Mapfumo.
Good thought, Robert,it's a lovely area to get in to :grin:
braincell

Post by braincell »

You know what?

You guys are snobs!

I love 4/4 electronic music and I feel it's my place to stand up for it. I don't care about "Ornette Coleman" although I am sure it is "good". That is not the point. I am starting a movement to keep Psychedelic Goa Trance *exactly* the way it is... 4/4 with a steady beat. It is perfect. Go off and form your own "Jazz" forum. Music now is incredible if you know what to get and it does not require a professor to make it. A good hypnotic beat and original sounds, weave them in and out, twist the filters, that's what it takes! If you don't like it you should not complain because clearly you don't know how to make music like Hallucinogen and 12000 Micrograms do Robert!!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: braincell on 2002-11-16 21:22 ]</font>
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

that's the cool part of the duality of musician's mind. You go on a snobbish trip once in a little while... but in doing so, the more "instinctive" part gets repressed, and when it gets up to a certain point, the beast explodes. So you go back to where you started. But this time, you can see clearer, farther, and wider. And useless ideas get thrown out. This evolutionary cycle keeps repeating itself I think.
Any one point in the cycle cannot be considered better than another point because essentially, the repetition of the cycle is what makes the musician grow.
wayne

Post by wayne »

4/4 electronic music obviously has the potential to be as good as any other music.
And vice-versa :wink:

the best music isn't often made by a professor, anyway :smile:
DJ Mosley

Post by DJ Mosley »

I am a New York City DJ. Dance music is my life. Needless to say, you're missing the whole point of the art form. If you really want to understand what dance music is all about, go to a night club. Dance music is best heard listening to a good DJ play it. Obviously, if your mind is closed, you still won't get it, but be carefull about dismissing entire styles of music. What you have said can be said about any form of music like "why does all rock music have electric guitars". Sounds silly doesn't it? Remember, think before you speak, you never know who you may hurt.
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

I can only enlighten this forum about Techno music. Its about the vibe behind it, not so much as what is presented infront of you. For loads and loads of people techno is a tool, the vibe which is put out is the path, and the final destination is freedom!

Concider not entertaining people with the music, but giving them TOOLS. For growth. Great artists will constantly take hold of your focus so you stay tuned in....

Some wonder why is it (techno) always the same ? Have you ever seen a hammer magicly change while using it ? Nope, tools dont change that much. Only when you move them! So move along with the beat, incarnate into the techno universe and see what the artists are giving birth too!! Its very subtle, when dancing or listening I am moving, always moving, letting some sounds move my body and going along with changes. Merge sounds into one bigger movement and being able to predict what will happen adds to the meditative effects......

Expression is beautifull, but maybe its not the box which fits with your self image. However, the point of music, still remains, to leave the box and roam around freely with the Peace & Joy comming at you from all sides!

I dont give a rats ass about what I hear, just what it does too me. hihi

Rock on!
nitty gritty

Post by nitty gritty »

If you've ever heard & felt Adamski "Live & Direct" (90's) LP or Unkle "Never Never Land" LP or even Scissor Sisters "Comfortably Numb" you'll know that the 4/4 monotonous beat thing is alive and kicking and weaving itself further into our conciousness.

Welcome to a state of mind....

What is there left to do in rock 'n' roll that's not been done or heard before? Even so bands like Green Day & Red Hot Chillis still do it for me.

What's left to do in all the current and past genres that hasn't been done??

Does that make all music monotonous and routine?

I say No.

One day someone will invent a new instrument that will change music forever....just like in the past....we just haven't heard it yet....
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Take some drugs, go to a night club. Then maybe your mind will be open to dance music. It's a tribal gathering, it's in our genes.

i'm not at all saying you need drugs to enjoy it but in your case it might open channels..

Plus i personally think it's amazing that music can be made interesting with very few notes. Some of the simplist music kicks arse, (imagine by john lennon, josh winks higher state) with that said complex is good sometimes. different music for different moods, places blah blah.

Peace and love

http://www.mutationrecords.co.uk

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Liquid EDGE on 2005-01-18 01:06 ]</font>
MikeRaphone

Post by MikeRaphone »

You might also experience a marvellous sense of liberation and expanded consciousness if you banged your head against a hard rock a couple of times :smile:)
Cheers and viva la revolucion
May all sentient beings achieve liberation from suffering :)
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

lol

or claming it in a vice and turning the lever... :smile:

would definatly open the mind to outer experiances :smile:
braincell

Post by braincell »

"Green Day & Red Hot Chili Peppers" are bad examples. I don't think there is an excuse for their existance. I like repetition but I would like to see more experimentation across the board. Garage music seems like a giant step backwards to me not only in the instrumentation which was invented 50 years ago but in the rigid form of the music. At least electronic music has the odd break or freakish sample now and then even in the most mundane forms of it.

On 2005-01-07 16:30, nitty gritty wrote:

What is there left to do in rock 'n' roll that's not been done or heard before? Even so bands like Green Day & Red Hot Chillis still do it for me.
wayne

Post by wayne »

:lol: