Level Devil

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

krizrox

Post by krizrox »

If you haven't bought this thing yet, you owe it to yourselves to git to Simon Ayton's site and buy the Level Devil.

This has to be one of the coolest compressor/limiter's for Pulsar yet. Works and sounds very much like an LA-2A or something similar. I've just started using it for vocal tracks and WOW!!! A fantastic deal for sixty bux really.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Here's the De-Vice link
http://www.deviceplug-ins.com/

Hey krizrox, care to compare this with the other pulsar compressors you've tried? I'm <i>still</i> flirting with the idea of getting the Orbitone compressors at some point, too...
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

Hey lad! How's it hangin' ?

Well, other than the Level Devil I've only tried the following compressors: the mono & stereo versions in Pulsar, the version in tripleDAT and the CompFree from DSPDEV.

I can tell you my very first impression is that the Level Devil seems much more transparent than any of these. The Level Devil also has the limiting function which is very much like the LA2A - you almost can't tell it's even being used it's so transparent. A breeze to use - two knobs. It doesn't get any easier. So far, I've only used it on vocal tracks - and frankly, it's saved my butt already. It has instantly become my first device of choice for vox. I can't recommend it enough!

I should also draw your attention to the CompFree by DSPDEV. One of the few freebee devices from DSPDEV. But this is also becoming a favorite of mine - especially for bass guitar. I liked it so much I'm considering buying one of their other comp's.

The Pulsar comp's are OK - I mean compared to the tripleDAT stuff they're great. But I would say they lack the transparancy of the other two devices I mentioned. I use the Pulsar comp mostly for kick drum or snare.

And looking again at the Orbitone stuff, it does look interesting but I think I have a lot of that stuff sewn up in my Optimaster which I also love. With Level Devil, it's simplicity is it's best feature, I think.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: krizrox on 2002-02-26 10:18 ]</font>