INVITATION FOR THE FIRST "FIVE" OF YOU!

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

3 Cheers all around, you guys!

Hey Ken! Want to swap solos in the funky part?
Are we listening?..
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

I've been pretty quiet on this thread lately, but I'll give my opinion now. I agree with maket on some things about the project, and his post motivated me to respond.

Overall, I think that it was good to do this project. It is neat to work with others with different backgrounds and tastes from your own. The way it turned out is far from anything I would ever do on my own (in ways which I both like and don't like).

On style ~ Maket and I have a lot similar stylistically, and so do Ken and Paul with one another. Nestor is just out there, in a good way of course :wink:

Here are the criticisms - take em with a grain of salt :smile:

I do not like the present arrangement of the song. It is meandering, without focus, and switches styles a lot. I think that Nestor's original "full bassline" mp3 post was a more cohesive arrangement. It had a logic to it; of course, some of the parts could have been drawn out to allow for solo's, drum breaks, and other such stuff, but the general arrangement I liked. At present, it sounds more like a collage than a song. This is not necessarily bad, as "the rules" weren't completely disclosed from the start and it was experimental in that regard. Just my opinion. but I would arrange it WAY differently. I am not saying that I dislike it at present; I am indifferent on this style. It does not do anything for me - it is just 'there.'

I don't like the hard panning of the handrums (djembe n congas). They do not sound to be in the same space. Less severe panning, and a common reverb would help a lot. Also, the congas are a bit too cluttered in my opinion; there is no musical space in the pattern. I think the drumbreaks could be a little louder (not just saying this cuz I made em either :wink: ). Same goes for the bass. hand drums and synths are a bit too loud for me . . .

Finally, some of the synth sounds are a bit over the top for me too. Kinda cheeze, ya know? Some effects might help to fix it though . . . yes, that synth break at 43 is god awful. sorry for saying that, but it is just bad - the bassline by itself with a pad was what I had envisioned . . .

well thems is my thoughts on the matter. . .

best regards,

Joel

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: algorhythm on 2002-06-03 15:49 ]</font>
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

I am very curious to know what kind of synth sounds you would use, Joel. I am not offended at all at the Cheeze comment as I know it to be too true! :smile: Me thinks I have a LOT to learn in the new synthesis field?
Are we listening?..
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

paulrmartin wrote:
I am very curious to know what kind of synth sounds you would use, Joel. . . . Me thinks I have a LOT to learn in the new synthesis field?
well, I am not very versed in the "synth style" lingo, so I can't really comment on the "kinds" of sounds I use -> I use the good sounds! :wink:

I mostly use ambient pads, droning sounds, noise, sci-fi type effects, and I do play phatty basslines and a lil acid sometimes . . . . - You have heard my stuff; you know the kind of sounds I like. This track would be no exception.

I don't "play" synths too much. I mean, I record simple MIDI patterns with a keyboard, but I don't often use simple patches and play them as if they were a piano. I respect that, but it just is not what I am into, at least right now. I like to let the synth patch 'speak for itself.'

I emphatically do not use presets. ever. Presets are occasionally good blueprints, but not final sounds. They always need at least a small modification to fit my tastes.

I make a "blank slate state" for all synths, and usually start from there, building the sound from the ground up . . .

I also almost always work on sound design/synth programming while the track I am working on is playing (at low volume) to keep the context in mind, always.

Effects are really important too - Most hardware synths have built in effects, and the presets use them. This is where the phat sounds happen. A little chorus, slight phasing/flanging, reverb, etc. etc. to taste.

The sounds you used seemed to be "preset-ish" and had little, if any effects? Some of them would be good for game soundtrack music or Miami Vice type stuff, but I just wasn't feelin it with the NuJazz, Funk Fusion sorta style (I thought) we were working with. The rippin' rock guitars were OK, but need thinned out (EQ/reverb) to fit in better, IMHO.

well there are a couple thoughts. I too, have A LOT to learn about synthesis, and think that no matter what I learn about it, there is always A LOT more to learn yet. It is a field of near infinite potentiality and is creatively rewarding . . .

I would be down with doing' a remix of this track sometime in the coming months after all of the parts are there and everything . . . would be kinda cool to see different takes on the same filez . . .

cheers everybody!
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Nice creative reflection altogether, about the song. Yes, it would definitely be nice to see how you would understand the structure and the mix itself Algo.

This is perhaps the best piece of it, that after having done it we start looking at it through our own experience and musical tastes, so the expression of others comes to enrich everybody. I’m learning so much from your points of vies you guys.

For example, the musical approach Algo has is quite different from mine, particularly about synths timbers. I like different sounds, probably softer sounds. With your explanation I feel like somebody listening to a guy just coming back from an exotic place you don’t know, telling you about his travel and experience, showing you some photos and the way people wear clothes, eat their food, about their habits, dwellings etc. It’s certainly OPENS MY MIND. Doing it, we are always influenced by the views of the other, so you open your perception of your one expression and musicality too. :smile:
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

About effects, I left them out so as not to put my stuff in a different room from the other instruments. "Phat" can come from plug-ins, no?
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

By the way, I rather thought the Cheeze (Rez Bass, probably)was stylistically consistent with Nestor's bass line. :wink:
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

yep, effects phatten up synth sounds. but they can often be phattened up before hand by things like osc sync, detuning, good filters, etc. not that phat is always good, it usually isn't cuz it takes away from the rest of the stuff.

As to Nestor's bass lines being cheezy, that is open to several interpretations I guess. I definitely don't think so though -> more jazzy / underground emo stuff to my ears . . .
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Wait a minute!
I never meant to imply that Nestor's lines were cheesy! I was only talking about style.

Ok, I'm from the old school of analog synths and noisy mixers so I tend to revert to stuff I know well when I'm tired. I had just come off that techno contract, remember?

Please don't lend me thoughts I don't have.

I like what we have and I can't wait to hear a finished product.
Are we listening?..
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

:lol:

that is funny - I guess you didn't say it specifically, but now I haven't the slighest clue what "stylistically consistent" means.

No need to offer reasoning for why you did what you did. It sounds fine, and I am sure that many people will like it. I too am rather proud of what we have done, never even being in the same room with oneanother.

and that techno thing must have been rather taxing on one's musical self. I have never had deadlines forcing creativity (at least not self imposed ones anyways). so props on that, I am sure it helped your production skills too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: algorhythm on 2002-06-04 16:19 ]</font>
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Don't worry you guys, I do like chees anyway... I'ts one of my prefered foods... :lol:
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

and the cheeze is even better if you leave it out awhile -> then it is funky cheeze :lol:
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

:lol:
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Fortunately, I've never mistaken saying I like some cheese staff cos that could be misunderstood... :lol:
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

So Maket, are you finishing it? Tell me something please... :smile:
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

so is this done, er? . . .
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Sure seems that way...
Unless Maket has changed his mind?
Are we listening?..
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

well, I'd still want to patch up the funk part, and prehaps add some other padding to sum up the piece.. Paul, do you want to redo the funk guitar part?
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Another TV Workout show just came in.
I am going to be going a little MORE crazy this time. My deadline's the 26th of june and I have something like 40 tunes to come up with plus the theme of the show.

Will redo the guitars somewhere during that nutty stretch.

Be still my heart... :lol:
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Well, if Maket decides not to do the guitar himself, perhaps you could do it Paul, suggesting a melody on top of it all.

It would be nice to have our first song finished so to post it for everybody to listen at the Music Forum.

The one of us posting it, should perhaps explain a bit the history of the song, the way it has been done, cos if you refer them to read this they will be mad, it’s too long, almost 200 posts already! I suppose the last one to handle the file would be you Ken, cos you are going to do the Post-Production, aren’t you? So let’s get inspired and give us a good introduction please. Then we will join you grooving up giving our own.

Valium was supposed to do some sequencing job as well, nothing about that either?

Hey Paul: What are those songs you are doing? How can they ask you for so many songs at the same time? Is that Techno Paul? Anyway, whatever music you are composing, you’re a lucky man to have so much to do.