Orchestral sounds

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

spacef

Post by spacef »

Eliam; you promissed us some tracks using some virtual orchestra !!!!! where is it ?
may be i missed your post, or may be you didn't post it but i was waiting for it :smile:
(don't take this message into account if you're into something else...)
cheers

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: spacef on 2002-04-05 10:15 ]</font>
eliam

Post by eliam »

Yes, I promised to post some music but I did not do it yet... Sorry for the delay, I changed my mobo to get rid of the evil clicks and I had a kind of computer overdose after the battle, so I went back playing piano, flute, clarinet and bass clarinet since... My system is still not running as smoothly as it should, but I'm getting there...

Anyway that's no excuse and I'll be posting a piece as soon as possible. thanks for your patience, and to remember! :smile:
braincell

Post by braincell »

Eliam I know the feeling. When dear god can we just make music without having to battle our computers?
spacef

Post by spacef »

hehe, no worries, you have no obligations to release anything ..
braincell

Post by braincell »

eliam,

After you make your piano may I download it from you?
eliam

Post by eliam »

I don't have a totally appropriate sampler to correctly tweak a piano library... Maybe I could try it on my STS-3000, but I'd have to seriously trim down the 1.5 gigs of samples, which is not so difficult, especially if you consider that I'll reduce it to mono and that the low notes samnples last some 30 seconds!

The other reason why I did not do it yet is because I bought a mp-9000 keyboard, and the onboard piano sound is acceptable. But not enough for the final production which I'm now planning... Anyway, I'll bring midi sequences at my friend's place to try on his tweaked Bosendorfer and see which result it can give... My feeling is that I'll end up recording on a real grand piano.

I just posted a tune with a virtual string orchestra! Have a listen!
braincell

Post by braincell »

The strings are amazing. The piano sounds kind of boxy or small. Maybe it needs more reverb?
pink noise

Post by pink noise »

man, how come noone has mentioned the vienna symphonic library so far. maybe because it is way too big to download it from some cracksite. this library is right now without any doubt the best orchestral library on the planet. next comes eastwest´s symphonic orchestra.
if you only want some good strings, the halion string section is quite good and easy to use. you can´t use it to replace a real string section, but in a pop-context it is definetly good enough.
concerning vitous, i have to agree that it sucks seriously. for the whole collection you have to pay over 3000 euros. that is way too much for what it offers and the recently introduced VSTis which are very pricy and easy too use are going too push vitous and the like off the market.

greetings
TimingLess

Post by TimingLess »

What about edirol orchestra? I like a lot and much easier to use than sample cd`s.

D.
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Sure ,if you want something that is absolutely devoid of expression :sad:
Are we listening?..
braincell

Post by braincell »

What about "Symphonic Orchestra"?
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

add to this, I think GPO works for me.. strings quality is marginal. But it's easy to program, and the parameters are consistant throughout most sounds in the library. What bugged my about VSL (vienna) is that despite its unbeatalbe quality, I've heard it's tough to program, and that each instrument has different paramenters to control.

Either way, I've learned that you'd have to spend quite a serious amount of time tweaking modulation parameters, and good results are hard to achieve. I use GPO, and I feel it's not too easy. (and GPO is supposed to be one of the easier ones to program)
eliam

Post by eliam »

Achieving a convincing ochestration with samples is quite a challenge! It's a fun one though, but the softsampler with real modulation flexibility, permitting to give life to samples, are rare to say the least. As with any tool, you have to master the fundamentals and know your samples quite well to increase the workflow...

I'm eager to see where the new e-mu softsampler stands in this regard...
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

hmm, didn't know emu was working on one. what's it called?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kensuguro on 2004-02-27 05:02 ]</font>
eliam

Post by eliam »

emulator x. It looks promising, although it's not clear if this sampler will import e-mu hardware programs with all the parameters. If it can do this I might well get one!