Granular effects in Modular 2?

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

David

Post by David »

An effect I'd like to have is Granulation (as well as many others)
Is it possible to build a Granulation effect in Modular2?
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Stupid question: What exactly does granulation do? :grin:

Paul
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

it breaks up the sound/signal into lots and lots of tiny "grains" which can then be manipulated in lots of cool ways (pitch shifting etc.)
here is a good intro:granular synthesis
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

oh yeah - here is a cool freeware granular synthesis prog. for windows - I have gotten crazy results with it (try it on vocals!!!)
Granulab
seb

Post by seb »

Also, the FruityLoops granulizer is awesome, I swear by it....
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Yeah, when the hell are we going to get ANYTHING new for ModV2 ? It's a shame to let a fantastically advanced tool just languish while everything else keeps plodding ahead....
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Spirit, are you sure you went through all the possibilities of the Mod2? It seems to me that this device has everything needed to make sounds beyond belief(!). I used to own a Korg MS-50 through which I ran everything, guitars, voices, other synths... I also had the privilege of working on a Moog Wall at McGill U. There is always a possibility of modulating modulators in the Mod2( more effects that way).

Just a thought :smile:

I think I may get the hang of this after all!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: paulrmartin on 2002-01-17 05:17 ]</font>
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Just compare the modules in ModV2 to Reaktor 3 and you'll see what you're missing...
JoeKa

Post by JoeKa »

I compared the ModV2 to Roland System100M stacked with 40(!) modules, and even though the roland is very old, it offers many features that are really hard to do in ModV2 or need loads of additional modules for setting up. For example, on the 100M, there are often three mod-inputs for a single destination, and each module offers a wider range of features than ModV2, so you need less modules on 100M. Than these signal patchbays on the 100M make live easier than with ModV2. Why can´t there be just a simple patchbay-module in ModV2, for example as an 8x3 matrix? This should really be no problem to do for any developper and would add way more flexibility to ModV2!
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

A matrix - another good idea !

Maybe we should cull the best ideas from Algo's thread and here and spam the developers ? :wink:
JoeKa

Post by JoeKa »

Yep. :grin:
I´m just writing e-mails to two developpers I know, (Wanko and Steckenleiter). I´m curious to know what they have to tell about ModV2 and third-party stuff...
David

Post by David »

Thank you all for your responses.
I have had a look at Granulab and Friuty Loops Granulation packages thanks for the suggestions
2 More Granulators are Spectral Delay plugin from Native Instruments and AudioMulch (Spektral Delay being the most detailed)
Thanks also to algorhythm for the info on granular synthesis.
I hope soon a granular module is included
for ModV2 and also a Matrix

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kilgore Trout on 2002-01-17 10:43 ]</font>
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

s. hummel @ wavelength has expressed interest on his list serve about doing something for the mod 2 - I hope it happens, especially if we are the catalyst (at least in part)!
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Just in case you still haven't checked, De-Vice has this strange looping device that pretty much does what granular does. Though it lacks some controls to make it 100% granular. Load in a pure sin wave (just 1 cycle) into that device and fiddle with the loop points, you'll get that "bladerunner" sound by Vangelis.
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

I have the infinilooper, and it is bad ass! but I would *not* call it a granulator - it is a fancy linking of delay units, as I understand it. You can sample in waveforms and such, but after the time stretching/reduction, everything sounds pretty much the same - it is a cool effect. but nothing like granular synthesis, AFAIK. . .
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Doesn't have anything to do with Pulsar but I found a great article on granular. Gee, the guys at ICMC are really crazy.
http://www.sfu.ca/~dkeller/EcoGranSynth/EGSpaper.html
David

Post by David »

Good link, those guys are sure searching for strangeness - shame I don't own a Mac :smile:
Approximate reading time: 1 minute
caleb

Post by caleb »

I really liked Amphetemine for using a comb filter to run it's oscillators through to create a new sound.

I've also thought that running oscillators through granular synthesis was a really good idea.

I had a quick look at Zarg's Rotor and thought that that kind of device run through granular synthesis could be pretty remarkable.

So yeah - I would love to see some granular devices floating around whether it be a Mod2 component or an effect device, or even if it were incorporated into a new synth I'd be smiling.
Caleb

Happiness is the hidden behind the obvious.