Anybody Experience with RM1X and Pulsar ???

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

QA

Post by QA »

Hi there.
I want tighter midi then pulsar is offering me, i heard that the sequencer from the RM1X is very good, can somebody tell me if it is of use to buy one, and wich advantage i will have ???

Thanx
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

You might consider the eMagic AMT8 or Steinberg Midex8 (for Logic, or Cubase, respectively), as this will give you tigher MIDI timing for ALL your gear.

I've used an RM1x and found it rather simple and limited compared to software sequencers like Logic, etc, but it might be fun and useful if you perform live.
laurent

Post by laurent »

On 2001-10-30 04:39, QA wrote:
Hi there.
I want tighter midi then pulsar is offering me, i heard that the sequencer from the RM1X is very good, can somebody tell me if it is of use to buy one, and wich advantage i will have ???

Thanx
Salut,

I have testing rmx1 and pulsar, is very bad, "problem midi, bad song,":-?
for the price, one Roland mc 505 is better.:smile:

Laurent.A
QA

Post by QA »

What do you mean by "Midi-Bad Song" ??
Ora

Post by Ora »

I use the RM1X, Pulsar, and a Unitor8 mkII w/ Cubase and I have a blast!
The combination is good - I find the RM1X useful w/ Cubase & yes, it is great for live too.

The convenience & fun starts with the floppy drive on the RM1X for starters - all midi files can be saved and imported into Cubase perfectly - the studio module in Cubase is very helpful as well.

I also like the fact that you have a velocity, resonance, cutoff, volume, effects, and other controls via knobs (these numbers can also be used for controlling pulsar synths w/ controller #s. Basically, its like each midi channel has all of these controls & via hardware knobs & when it is mixed w/ the automation of the midi mixer's volume & pan's too - it gets real fun....(Of course everyone has different uses & I know there are tons more I havn't stumbled on yet...)I'm sure the MC-505 has all the same but the feature that made me purchase it was the 'sections' feature....

..as far as the sequencer? It is great for pre-production before importing midi to cubase. It has helped me write songs much quicker - I can sequence a preset pattern to start or create one my own & create within minutes - you also have 16 'section' pads for different patterns - so you can write 16 different sections of melodies, fills, hooks, verses - you name - all while your in creative mode and then bring clarity to it afterwards - no frills, no hassles - and once it is completed just save it as a midi file, import to your sequencer & then add more sounds or convert all to Audio....you can also record midi tracks via another keyboard & have them get the sound from that keyboard and not the internal voices

The RM1X is great but the new one is AWESOME! sampling > 6-8 outputs > digital I/O and a Smart card that comes with it...its not a separate purchase...

Hope that helps a bit....
QA

Post by QA »

THANX ORA !!!!!!!! For you reply

I only have some questions. wich device do you use for midi-clocking, RM1X, Unitor8 or pulsar ??? and how tight is the midi from the RM1X.

By the new one you mentioned, i think you mean the RS7000, it is a very nice device. (RM1X + SU700 = RS7000) Only it is to expensive for me.

Do you have experience with controlling Pulsar samplers (STS 4000) with the RM1X, what is your opinion about it ??

TIA

QA
Ora

Post by Ora »

All of the Unitor8 ins & outs show as drivers in cubase which is great for syncing - for example - I also have a QS7 which i use for all midi playing (as wells the controls on RM1X - I'll set it up different for whatever is needed)

how do you mean which device for midi-clocking? - the sync to?

The midi timing is great! I set the sync out in cubase to the RM1X for start messages to get a basic beat going (pre-programmed / or preset) then, I'll use the QS7 to record midi in (it can either be using a pulsar synth sound, its own, etc...

Then once thats done - if i want change sounds or tweak cutoff & res - I'll go back & assign the controllers for the RM1X and record a separate midi track using them

...I havn't used the controls for any samplers but i have for all of the synths - it should be very easy i imagine as long as there are controls assignable on the sts - the RM1X will do it - just move the knob on the RM1X and the STS or synth will pick up the control number....

the usb connection on the unitor8 sux but i have had no problem w/ the serial connection - you also can configure your midi ins/outs however you want with the control 3.0 software that comes w/ the unitor while your in a mix, recording, etc.

...All too much fun! heheh...

(Try Ebay)