bringing back my scope SDK machine.

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Neutron

bringing back my scope SDK machine.

Post by Neutron »

For the last few years I have been looking after a disabled housemate, who unfortunately passed away 2 weeks ago. it was taking up a lot of time so i was not developing devices and generally contributing like in the old days.

anyways besides all the grief and other things i have had to go through, i have decided to resume my duties as a scope developer.

I have an xite-1 but i cant really develop on it yet. i have a computer which was sitting unused, with some scope and pulsar cards in it though, so i can start work on new devices. (was thinking of selling them but i didn't, maybe once i can develop on xite i will sell them off)

my first device will be something i have been thinking about which is a scopeified version of the DSI tempest universal drum voice, but with "clap" envelope and some other additions and changes to suit whats available in scope.

also i will fix up the "sonic attack" which i use quite a lot and i have thought of some improvements. and make a bigger and nicer interface for it. who uses 1024x768 monitors any more?

just an update on whats going on here.

best regards
Neutron
garyb

Re: bringing back my scope SDK machine.

Post by garyb »

i'm glad you are still well....
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

thanks, I'm pretty much over the manic house cleaning and rearranging stuff, i do seem to have a lot more energy now and want to do something with it. sitting down at scope will be nice in my plan. i hope it works out.
capacitor

Post by capacitor »

Glad to see you back into the fray :) I'm recovering from something different here down south. Hopefully smooth sailing for both (and all) of us!
Dati

Post by Dati »

I stay tuned for your Devices!
Do you also think about a nice Pitchshifter?
I would be glad to get one, couse i dont really like the Scope one.
Cheers
dawman

Post by dawman »

http://www.cwmodular.org/html/p-shifter.html

Here this oughtta hold you off.
Nuetron skills are needed for synths, and whatever he wants to build.
But there's a Devive Wishlist hotline thread that guarantees a rapid response

http://forums.planetz.com/viewforum.php?f=30
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

this drum voice sounds really good!. much more than your common or garden "follow the decay with 1 osc" drum.
It will be called "Neutron SDV 4" (synthetic drum voice, and there are 4 of them)

I will make the device have 4 voices, which you can split by key. that way you can get some variation across the keyboard within each voice.
each voice will be the same because it can do a lot of different stuff. so no need for separate "bass drum, snare, hi hat" etc.

Although i have never tried before, i think i could make loading presets per voice possible, as well as over all program preset list. i might make a 6 or 8 voice version once it is finished, for the XITED ones :)

It is kind of a cross between half of a tempest voice, and a Thomas Henry mega percussive synth (an analog modular thing) with some of my own spice as well.

This is not final yet, i still have to experiment with using a ring modulator and FM oscillator as well.

there are 2 oscillators per voice(made from multi LFO because it has sync start), one is "shell" and one is "body" each one has its own pitch envelope, and then there is another envelope which cross fades between them. they can modulate each other which can give some really nice variation. then a final "overall" envelope. all the envelopes are AHD with the controls tweaked to be useful for drum sounds.

then there is the BPF noise, which has its own envelope, and its level and frequency can be modulated by the shell oscillator and/or envelopes. that way you can set up "multi attack" claps and so on. it will do a pretty good roland clap if you dial it just right.

each of them can then go to the low pass filter or bypass it. the low pass filter can be modulated by all of the envelopes and also the oscillators. following the low pass is a fixed high pass, to get rid of boom if you want, and a pan and volume setting.

there are 4 pages, each page has every control for a voice. at the bottom are the common controls which you can see all the time (output mixer, key splits, etc)

I have been using scope computer via remote desktop, which is not advisable. the reason being is that it does not update the project list and various other things when the names change color (maybe something to do with caching?), so you might think something is selected, and press delete, but you are actually deleting something else. I managed to destroy my entire panel with pages made for each voice, and not realize i had done it until after i had saved. fortunately most of the time making it was remembering how, rather than actual work, and i hadn't put many knobs on it yet.

It still might be a while before i have a beta out, because i am having to re-learn quite a lot, but its nice to be creating for scope again.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Excellent, I grow weary of my acoustic drums, they dont sound even sound real so why bother.
Make some Hinky sounding stuff and I can maybe be insipred to quit writing Ethel Mermen type tunes...
Glad to see you active brosky.......'

Ankyu....
wouterz

Post by wouterz »

Those specs sound very interesting, a new drum synth will be a very welcome addition to the Scope Platform :)
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

I managed to get a lot done today, i found i can still use remote desktop as long as i turn off "bitmap caching" in the advanced options. it almost feels like i am using that machine now. i can spend quite a long time just deciding on the range and law of a control, i want to be able to get "whacky" sounds but also make it easy to dial in something more commonly useful.

it is an unusual device because almost all of its sound depends on envelopes, and i want to make it easy and fun to get a nice drum or whatever. I think the interface must have very clear usability markings so people will understand the flow.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Scope 6 might offer more flexibility for an interface to control envelopes, but then again, scope devices seem to already have my favorite way..which is a lot like parametric eqs that drags small dots on a graph, but displaying time vs. amplitude.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

i just want it o make PCI and XITE compatible stuff, ONE DAY.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I'd love that, as I want the extra I/Os for MIDI and AES/EBU........
Mic Pres and Analog + digital have me pretty well covered, but a nice Model 7 and 1 more MIDI would be a breeze.
I don;t trust LoopBe1 that much and the delay from looping hardware would be much at 48k...
garyb

Post by garyb »

like 4ms....
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Look forward to seeing what your next great devices will be. And hope you are getting along well with the Cirklon too. :)

Cheers

t_t
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

thanks for all the support, now i feel "free" i am building an awesome set of Tri amped hifi speakers, working on my scope project, modifying my house, and doing other stuff. my freind told me i am "multipotentiolite" which sounds about right to me. not good at "one job for the rest of my life" they can go stuff themselves :)
garyb

Post by garyb »

whatever. if you can get away with it....
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

1) My condolences goes to you this night

2) It is good to se You back on SDK track

3) I also build speakers for myself. I use Scope for x-overs :-)
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

Immanuel wrote:1) My condolences goes to you this night

2) It is good to se You back on SDK track

3) I also build speakers for myself. I use Scope for x-overs :-)
thanks! i think im getting over it now, life is different but it must go on.

re: speakers
using scope for xovers: I have done that as well, but my music/movie PC can not hold a pulsar or anything. i have received a "miniDSP" 2x8 which will do the job. you can adjust it on screen by USB, and have 4 presets. it will do 5 way parametric EQ, delay and phase per driver as well as the cutoffs. and will accept room measurement files from REW to get started with.
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

Any news about the "Neutron SDV 4"?
Looking forward to that new drum synth! :)