Using Waveforms to create synths

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

YISH313z

Using Waveforms to create synths

Post by YISH313z »

So I purchased this Waveform set from Galbanum: Architecture Waveforms 2010, it comes with over 25,000 waveforms to create wave based synths from, i grabbed it with every intention on using it with my EMU e6400 sampler, Now that I am getting back into the "SCOPE" of things, what options are available for creating synth patches made from using single cycle waveforms and such?

Free or Paid :)
jhulk

Re: Using Waveforms to create synths

Post by jhulk »

problem withthe gabem waveforms are that they are in the lower registers roughly f0-24 cents in 32 bit

now they are good for certain soft synths that analyses them and turns them into additive waves

but for samplers they are way to low for a full keyboard sample and produce way to much aliasing in the higher notes

single cycle waveforms are great a lot of great synth and sample hybrid analog digital synths use them

esq1 sq80 d50 jd600 jd990 the d70

ppg waldorf wave uwave1/2/xt /uq/ q/blofeld

virus

korg dss1 /m1/t1/o1w wavestaion ms2000

kawai k1 /k2 /k4 /k5 /k5000

shruthi 8 bit synth
prophet vs

the solaris uses them and xcite/4/live uses some of mine single cycle waves

i do many with my transwave maker they are in 256 samples and are f4/f5/f6-24 cents depending on what key of f i have sampled on but always 256 samples as i can use these in m,y prophet vs and ensoniq mirage and the transwaves i use in the asr10 and eps16+

which make it sound like a ppg or uwave or prophet vs or blofeld or largo or virus

by mixing various single cycle wave using mixers which is additive

or layering with there own filter and amp and own panning with vector control like the d70 d50 or any roland rompler

or adding 4 in a vector mixer with 1 filter like the prophet vs

you can get wild and extremly complex wavescapes

single cycle is the way to go as they are perfect looped material

and if you band limit them so that they never have partial that go beyond the nyquist then you will not get aliasing

another way is to have a bandlimit filter that filters anything above the 44.1 or what ever sampling rate you are using frquency range
YISH313z

Post by YISH313z »

Are you using any Scope synths with user waveforms? If so which ones
YISH313z

Post by YISH313z »

One problem I constantly run into with the Akai Z4 sampler and these waveforms is that what is supposed to be a perfect single cycle loop does not turn out that way, even though the Akai Z4 uses 24 bit samples. there's always a buzz to the loops that I do not find elsewhere, I hope my luck is better with Scope.
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

I would recommend still continue using it with the emu 6400 ! That box is amazing, and the filters are worth every time put into making the patches! :)
But you would probably need to process and resample them in a higher notes to avoid antialiasing..

I still use my emu.. and for a sound sculpturing tool, its not replaceable!
Higen
http://www.scopeportal.com - Community Sonic Core SCOPE Plugins and Devices
http://www.higen.org
YISH313z

Post by YISH313z »

I believe my Emu e6400 is on it's way out, I haven't even had the real chance to use it yet, it locks up when turning it on, and when I do put files on it by way of the IDE drive, obey the naming convention and all, i get a "Mono Zero" error on the samples and even there they at times do not loop right. Im waiting on a scsi CDrom from an ebay auction(should be here around the same time as my scope card), I'm hoping by making EMU format CDs from Translator, that I can bypass alot of issues with getting sounds into it,

At any rate I'm looking more forward to building synth patches in Scope than anything else.

Anyone got any tips on which synths in scope may be what I'm looking for?
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

Well that emu seems to deserve a proper funeral!
But regarding building patch, nothing matches the Modular 4. I really enjoy having the modular system to help me out if my other synths don't give me the inspiration i need :)
Higen
astroman

Post by astroman »

YISH313z wrote:Are you using any Scope synths with user waveforms? If so which ones
did you ever dig into the Vectron ?
I just checked if it can handle your waveforms... with some treatment it does.
you may check this post from sometime ago with a screenshot showing the most important parts to get custom waves into the thing.
Which is by far an intuitive process at first glance...
You'll have to convert the files to 16bit first, as I had only FormatFactory at hand I seemed to achieve the same by converting the 24bit files down to 25% level (it didn't offer a bit choice)
It takes a short while to get used to the selection handles and 'option-double-click' to refresh the buffer display, and you'll have to save your buffer-edits to Wave-Slots of the synth, etc etc... but at least there's a way of 'communication' ;)

cheers, Tom
YISH313z

Post by YISH313z »

Thanks guys, I will definitely give these a try, vectron seems fun, im sure both of these are dsp hogs and will eat my simple 3dsp card as a snack. :lol: Once I start adding more cards then the real fun will begin,
astroman

Post by astroman »

not really - a single voice is about 15% on my 10 DSP system, 1.5 DSPs
with a small mixer you should get along easily :)
voice tweaking is certainly best with a single voice anyway - there's a ton of modulation to get familiar with, too.
Vectron seems a bit underrated as tweaking isn't an instant reward.

cheers, Tom
YISH313z

Post by YISH313z »

what about the STS-5000. Ive used the other versions that came with 4.0. The timestretch and pitch functions, including the 25 or so filters could prove to be very interesting in creating some synth patches using single cycle waves. Lots of possilbilities there as well. 2012 will be interesting.
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

I used the STS5000 for some track back in the SCOPE 3.x days.. but i found it unstabile.. could lock up the computer. Dont know if its stabile on scope 5.1 but it should be able to pull off something equal to your emu sampler.. i found the filters very good.. but emu better :lol:

Anyone here can confirm that there have been some bug-fixes that have stabilized the STS5000 ?
Higen
YISH313z

Re: Using Waveforms to create synthsizers

Post by YISH313z »

Lol. Sounds exactly like my initial experience with the Sts line on my first card. I overcame the freezing by reducing my dual core to one(actually I changed to uniprocessor roll of windows) and also ensured no irq sharing was going on. It worked flawlessly afterword. I followed most of the tips from the forum and manual. We will see if things have improved with 5.1. 8)
YISH313z

Post by YISH313z »

Man with Vectron alone, there's enough waveforms in it to create anything, plus the ability to write new ones, and the fact that you can layer four total. Im hurtin' right now..I need more chips and I haven't even spent 4 hours with the card yet. LOL
YISH313z

Post by YISH313z »

Okay, if you really dig into the STS5000 with single waveforms and the 25 filters, it smokes. 8) When I get back to the land of Scope this weekend I will create a full patch and post an example.