Opinions on DynaTube

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Opinions on DynaTube

Post by dante »

For ScopeRise, I'm writing about the Dynatube bundle (having recently upgraded from 1 to all 4). So would like to know :

. Favourite models / presets and why.
. Compare to hardware originals.
. Creative ways you use it.
. Any other comments.

I don't have the Bass model but may get in future so any comments on that one welcome as well I could use in a future edition.
View ScopeRise latest issue at www.hitfoundry.com
Atomic Marshmallow

Re: Opinions on DynaTube

Post by Atomic Marshmallow »

Do I understand this correctly? There is an update to the Dynatube bundle?
dante

Post by dante »

No, just a write up I was doing :

http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_10/dynatube.htm
View ScopeRise latest issue at www.hitfoundry.com
Atomic Marshmallow

Thanks.

I bought the Dynatube bundle ages ago. I have to say I am not really a fan. I find it has a kind of metallic undertone to it, a bit like the feeling you get when you put a piece of aluminium foil between your teeth. I wasn't able to get a sound that I liked, but maybe I didn't tweak enough. I am on holidays now and have quite a bit of time to give it another try. I'll let you know how I get on. Guitar Rig is my first choice. I can get some great sounds without too much effort.

By the way, I'm from Melbourne too but live in Europe now. I usually visit every year to catch up with family, but this year I want to chill out here and make music.
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, my opinion is if you use dynatube strictly as an amp and not for distortion, it's about as good as computer amp models get. the thing about guitar rig is that it's all processed sounds. personally, i'd rather use dynatube, pedals and Scope fx, i think it's the most real guitar sound available without an amp, but however you get a sound that fits a piece of music has to be ok. i'd have no problem using guitar rig.
dante

Post by dante »

Atomic Marshmallow wrote:I bought the Dynatube bundle ages ago. I have to say I am not really a fan. I find it has a kind of metallic undertone to it, a bit like the feeling you get when you put a piece of aluminium foil between your teeth.
Which model are you using ? I started out with the Marshall a couple of years ago and fell in love with it, then got the other 3 and couldn't really get into them much, always gravitating back to the Marshall. But I pull down the distortion/overdrive on it (pre-amp level below 1/4) and just use the distortion in my digitech valvefx preamp. And it sound way more authentic/live/marshallish than just using the digitech by itself.

But it could be down to spending the tweak time as you say, like I think the Fender Twin has potential on chorus/clean playing that I haven't fully exploited yet, a type of 80's vibe.
astroman

Post by astroman »

I have the Dynatube bass bundle, which I found so convincing that I'll get at least the Fender emulation of the guitar set.
For distorted stuff I like Adern's Mojo a lot for it's more 'open' and sensitive modes of tweaking.
Alfonso did a real clever design with the simultaneous serial/parallel channel operation.
It significantly spreads the dial's range to set up the drive stage in a very convenient way.

I have only used Dynatube's Ampeg model (with cabinet emulation) so far, but in amp-only mode it seems to provide some interesting flavours, too.
With 1 Jazz Bass and 2 Precisions I'm a bit focussed on the Fender 'classic' tone and put most effort in the setup of the instrument itself.
So the amp emulation mainly adds to this... recording style is DI signal plus miked cabinet/ambience.
Dynatube does the latter part perfectly, typically set to relatively low gain that just slides into a bit of crunch on louder notes.
It's wins hands down if you want to fake the recording style of 60/70s soul and funk bass.
The plugin is extremely responsive in sound character and dynamic and imho you can't tell it from the real thing.
But it's NOT spectacular in the sense of effect processing - and it's not an SVT fake either (not tried yet to extend it into that range by adding something to it's fx slots...)

as it was mentioned... Guitar Rig is a conceptual failure imo - it's not bad on fx processing, but ALL those virtual peadals feature the same soundprint.
Which is completely beyond the experience of (real) analog gear... ;)

cheers, Tom
dante

Post by dante »

Well then looks like I'll need to earmark $99 Euro for the basses.

I've got loads of totally dry (DI'd) bass guitar tracks recorded that might benefit.

What brands are AG and SW ? The product description link in S|C shop just tosses me back to main page.
astroman

Post by astroman »

AG stands for Ampeg, afaik they model the V4BH top, the AG cabinet should be the 8x10 fridge
The SW is some British PA amp that got a reputation as a bass live amp, but the company was unknown to me.
It was mentioned in a magazine review... (can't remember where I read it, tho)

btw you CAN play a guitar through the Dynatube bass amp, which you can safely forget with the IK Ampeg SVX (native) plugin.
Well, unless you want to emulate a Novanex practice amp... :lol:

cheers, Tom
dante

Post by dante »

I always thought a Gallien Krueger might be the one to go for since the bass players I've known with it always do that Seinfeld riff even better than on the TV :lol:
Atomic Marshmallow

Hello

Just thought I'd try out the Dynatube bundle again. Just a quick test without too much tweaking and only using Scope effects. I also just focused on distortion lead sounds. I'll test clean some other time. I agree with you that the Marshall model sounds best, but I also like the Marshall Amp and Vox speaker model combination. I still wasn't blown away, though as I said, I didn't do any intensive tweaking. However, when I ran it through my Ensoniq DP4+ effect unit connected to the auxiliary channels, it sounded significantly better and definitely worth further exploration, but at this stage my preference is still Guitar Rig. Sorry, if that is blasphemy.

AM
astroman

Post by astroman »

no problem at all - it's perfectly ok to use a different type of sound (NI has some signature to it...), just as the external Ensoniq processor.
I use a Rocktron Intellifex for the same purpose. The sound is slightly different due to the Motorola DSP and additionally coloured by the converters.
Of course it's most convenient to have all in one box (Scope), but the diversity of nuances is worth the effort imo.
Regarding the Dynatube bass models:
it allows to 'scale' the bass in a much more convenient way than by just the regular dynamics and eq.
You can make it as big and prominent in the mix as needed - or reduce a too hot (ringing, growling) track to better integrate in the mix.
This is shown even in the short examples on SC's site, though they focus on the 'more prominent' aspect.

cheers, Tom
dante

Post by dante »

Ok, see where I took the wrong turn on S|C site, needed to go in via products instead of shop DOH ! So SW = Simms-Watts PA100. Some good examples there, see what you mean.

Now, for roughly the same price, its a toss-up with this tasty morsal :

http://www.orangetreesamples.com/jaco

Or perhaps, eventually get both and try Jaco thru the Scope Ampeg !!
m.my91

Post by m.my91 »

hello
i use amplitube rtas at 96 khz.
better than dynatube only 48 khz.
amplitube had better amp emulation
and no latency in protools hd system.
i use a small DEV amp (celmo or jr amp) and after i go in rtas amplitube!
AMAZING!
thanks
phil
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

The dynatubes are limited to 48k max sample rate, because they oversample internally to 96khz (or 2x the system sample rate).

Dante, It might be worth exploring the sounds of these emulations at 44.1 and 48khz, as slight of a difference as it is. Sometimes there's lots of scaling and calculations done in the background that could sound more "natural" with one sample rate over another. It might not be the case, but I think it's worth exploring for an article.
dante

Post by dante »

Yes - just recently I wanted that Dynatube Marshall sound so had to temporarily work with 48KHz to use it to record guitar parts with in Reason.

No hassle because Reason will still play it back correctly when projects reloaded at 96KHz.

So I can still use the Dynatube Marshall and I have complimented it with this Kuassa amp sim in Reason, which sounds mean on Reasons A-List Rock Guitar:
Vermillion Amp
Vermillion Amp
vermillion-amp.png (234.35 KiB) Viewed 12604 times