Reaper control surface for Scope

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

tjsound

Reaper control surface for Scope

Post by tjsound »

or simple sending midi cc from mixer fader, solo - mute button...

Someone - some can write code? It would be incredibly useful.
XITE-1, Reaperx64...
at0m

Re: Reaper control surface for Scope

Post by at0m »

tjsound,

I'm afraid the same goes for Reaper as for any control surface for Scope (I'm working on making some templates for my BCR2000): how the heck can you tune "your control surface", which is something static, to something as flexible as Scope?

Suppose you're being very specific on what device you want to control, you'd need a specific control surface or a specific set-up there-of, to make it go smooth. You'd need 10s if not 100s of them. And then we're just talking stock and TOTP 3rd party devices.

And then again, that's all in vein when something like a mixer with effects or a modular patch on its own can be so diverse, that any control surface's buttons/knobs/faders will fall short.

Here's some thoughts on remote controls. One could...
  • mimic a generic device, like a big synth that will cover most common synth controls (bit like Minimax, with Pitch, Amp and Filter controls and ADSR, an LFO or 2-3, and a couple built-in effects (which params?)) or a mixer (volume, pan, mute, solo, aux send levels and 10'ish controls per channel for 2-3 inserts). But then how to control modulars, Solaris, Vectron or the STM2448?
  • copy the lay-outs from all devices (yea right) and pre-assign CC# to them, and store MIDI presets for the Scope devices
  • lay out a bunch of generic controls and assign them on-the-go. Then one can fine-tune in Scope, and remote control a selection of parameters that will evolve during the track. In Cubase, for example, each MIDI track has a bunch of generic controls, which I can automate using my BCF2000 in MC mode: volume, pan, etcetera. So I will assign those to a limited amount of controls of the corresponding Scope device: filter cutoff, amp envelope attack or release, ...
The only thing I find practically possible, is to control 16-32 channels volumes for the mixer, have a couple generic presets on my remote control surface (pc1600x, master keyboard controls, BC2000) and then assign these as I see fit during the project growth. In the early days of SFP 2.04 I made a bunch of presets for Pc1600x, which can still be used of course, but nobody used them - not even myself, nowadays. I, like most others I suppose, assign on the fly: have 1-2 presets of the control surface control different parameters on a variety of devices.

So before asking for a remote control surface, think deep, deeper, ... on what and how you want to control anything from Scope. Then you make up your mind, try thinking of some practical framework: how many knobs/buttons/faders do I have at my disposition, and which can I spare to assign to Scope parameters?

Hoping I didn't add to the confusion ;)
at0m.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
tjsound

Re: Reaper control surface for Scope

Post by tjsound »

quite rightly, 16-32 faders on Reaper and may be mute-solo button must pass midi cc message to Scope, not more. then independently assign to the faders on my choice. the main problem as I think - an exact match 0 dB on Reaper and Scope faders
XITE-1, Reaperx64...