Unison Mode on Pulsar Synth's ???

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

QA

Post by QA »

Hi there,

I think you all know what unison mode meens on a synth (VERY, VERY FAT SOUNDS)
A VST-i called JX220 Has this mode, is it possible to make a Pulsar synth with a unison mode ???

Thanx
Funktastico

Post by Funktastico »

I don't know any pulsar synth that comes with a unison. You can imitate unison with a fat chorus effect though, and it would take up less DSP than a "real" unison.

Toni L.
http://www.mp3.com/NativeAlien
sezam

Post by sezam »

Hey !this is a problem...Why cant noone of creamware synths sound in a similiar way like Ni reaktor.Cause there u can retune the oscialattors really good.Pulsar synth synths sounds week in comparsion .:=
WHY????
sezam

Post by sezam »

Hey !this is a problem...Why cant noone of creamware synths sound in a similiar way like Ni reaktor.Cause there u can retune the oscialattors really good.Pulsar synth synths sounds week in comparsion .:=
WHY????
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Maybe some of the standard CW synths can sound a little thin, but synths like Bassman and even freeware such as Saturn and the DubSub !? I've had the pleasure of using Reaktor and while it is undoubtedly a good product, there was nothing that made me wish I went that path instead of Pulsar.

Are all Pulsar synths weak because they don't do unison ? Nope, no way. And in a digital environment what does that really mean anyway ? On the old hardware analog synths such as the Roland Jupiter series unison had some meaning - you were able to stack up the oscillators and detune. On other synths unison was only useful because their basic architecture was so poor that any patch sounded wispy without being stacked.

And if you still feel the need to recreate unison, Pulsar you can get that exact thrill no problems. Make a ModV2 patch, put in six oscillators, set the poly to 1 and detune to your hearts content.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

<i>Why cant noone of creamware synths sound in a similiar way like Ni reaktor</i>

Because Reaktor sounds thin and weedy and Pulsar sounds a lot bigger and rounder? :wink: But that is my honest opinion and many others as well (Sound On Sound mentions something similiar if not identical to my opinion of Reaktor's sound, so I know I am not alone).
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

And that's also probably because Pulsar's oscilators (or, as far as I know, the mod2 oscs) are designed with insane craftsmanship.. Ever check it out on an FFT analyser? The moment the VCO gets voltage, you get some ultra low frequency electro static, and the harmonic content changes as the pitch increases. So, definitely not a pure square or saw in a scientific sense, but more of a pure VCO chip. Haven't compared it with reaktor tho..
Xantia

Post by Xantia »

Try layering the outputs from 2 or more synths, one of the best combo's Ive found is the bluesynth(hummel version), UKnow (hummel mod or MW?)Zarg comb and the saturn.
Fat as a fat thing.
If you don't have the DSP's to spare, have different projects for layered synths,
sampler, mixdown etc. or sample it.
Its a bit longwinded having to swap projects but its well worth it.
Xantia.
Xantia

Post by Xantia »

BTW, might get a bit too fat with 4 synths,
just hi and low pass filter it so it sits in the mix.
watch your levels though, cone popping situations can arise.
Michu

Post by Michu »

Because Reaktor sounds thin and weedy and Pulsar sounds a lot bigger and rounder?
Sub,
when you can compare the two, like with VA or FM synths, i have to agree, but in reaktor you have lots of toys not present on pulsar like resampling/granular stuff and physical modelling. i have to admit those sound very good and fresh.
if i haven't got reaktor yet, it is because i still discover new and usefull sounds in Pulsar.
thanks God for DeFeX and Neutron synths
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

I agree, sometimes a thin sound is exactly what fits in the mix. :razz:
sezam

Post by sezam »

Ok i now that all sounds can`t be fat in a good mix.But still everyone who have tried out the reaktor ensamble "junatik" know what i`m talking about...

It must be something in the groundconstruction that limits the synths 2 have an simple option as detune 0-100%?
I dont build synths(wish i had time)
So thats why i`m wondering if its even
possible?
I like creamware alot ,but i miss this feature or fattness thats all.

Sure i can use reaktor but the thing is that its always nice 2 use the pulsar dsp power...

It cant just be me who wonder???
Michu

Post by Michu »

i think new zarg prophets have unison mode.