PlanetZ@scopeusers.com

Scope Users Community
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Spacef FAT INSERTS?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2001 4:00 pm
Posts: 465
Location: Sweden
Im getting desperate over here.

Im in the progress with a DUB album and im getting so sick and tired at the digital sound.
Everything is sooo cold. DUB is supposed to be warm and full in sound.

I have been looking at all possible solutions, like sending
all channels out of the D.A.W through a TUBE preamp,
or using some internal software device to enhance the warmth of
my tracks.
Bad thing is my wallet is thinner thant I want it to be...

I saw that Spacef made these FAT INSERTS

Anyone here that had the opportunity to test these inserts?

Im in serious need of "hot fiyah" in my studio :)

_________________
*knowledge is power*

Foona's Blog
Foona's MySpace
Foona on Facebook
Foona's Youtube
Foona's Twitter


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:24 pm
Posts: 685
Location: UK
j,

I got these a few days back. They are cool warmer uppers. There should be demo versions to try out so's you can see if they are to your taste. I was also looking at possible solutions such as running various bits and pieces in and out of the insert connections of my Earlybird toob preamp and fiddling with gain settings, etc.

However, I like the sound of the FAT's. Plug 'em in and "Wolla" as the French would say. Easy life. :)

ns


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:36 pm 
you could also try
- create a audio loop of the beats, and eq it heavily, like an old sounding loop on a sample cd (no lows or highs, with a stupid peak somewhere, i.e. on 150 Hz or somewhere in the mids), you could also add vinyl noise with some VST fx.
mix this track with the clean track.
- bit rate reduction of the drum samples or whatever you are using
- create audio loops from your beats and apply extreme bit rate reduction and mix it with the original track.
- put some grunchy distortion on the pure beats (preferrably a dist with some kind of filter section)
- experiment with compressors on the beats, and try some exorbitant settings (i.e. Vinco if you have) (avoid transparency ;-) ).
- sample rate reduction, you could make a copy of your original beats audio, and then apply SRR extremely.
You then can mix this track with the normal track to your taste , a small delay (a few or some more ms) on that track could be a good try.
- saturation tricks of any kind, specially Mehdi's :-)
- do this all together, and warn your parents...

:-)


Top
  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:00 pm
Posts: 12781
Location: PROJECT WINDOW
I actually have used these since last winter.

The FAT-CS4 is the FAT-GS w/o the input gain. I like the GS better.

But I use the FAT-S in an AUX.

I like the way it makes the other AUX's FX get really warm, since I place it in the last ( 4th ) AUX on the STM1632.

But since I have the FB5 mixer, all inputs have the filters and FAT on the inputs of 8 mono channels, and 5 stereo channels.

The FAT's are great no doubt about it. But the mixer just makes everything FAT.

The 3 AUX's are capable of true bleedover, and separation. They have stackability also. AUX 2 & 3 are for the hardware reverbs, and the SL9000 is perfect for the master outs. It has a non coloring destructive gate, perfect for shaping the tails of delays and reverbs. Never thought I would use a virtual effect to make a Lexicon PCM91 more effective, no pun intended.

_________________
https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/sets/solaris-demos-1
http://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/sets/sol ... akt-tunes/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2001 4:00 pm
Posts: 465
Location: Sweden
nightscope wrote:
j,

I got these a few days back. They are cool warmer uppers. There should be demo versions to try out so's you can see if they are to your taste. I was also looking at possible solutions such as running various bits and pieces in and out of the insert connections of my Earlybird toob preamp and fiddling with gain settings, etc.

However, I like the sound of the FAT's. Plug 'em in and "Wolla" as the French would say. Easy life. :)

ns


Thanx for the confirmation :)


hubird wrote:
you could also try
- create a audio loop of the beats, and eq it heavily, like an old sounding loop on a sample cd (no lows or highs, with a stupid peak somewhere, i.e. on 150 Hz or somewhere in the mids), you could also add vinyl noise with some VST fx.
mix this track with the clean track.
- bit rate reduction of the drum samples or whatever you are using
- create audio loops from your beats and apply extreme bit rate reduction and mix it with the original track.
- put some grunchy distortion on the pure beats (preferrably a dist with some kind of filter section)
- experiment with compressors on the beats, and try some exorbitant settings (i.e. Vinco if you have) (avoid transparency ).
- sample rate reduction, you could make a copy of your original beats audio, and then apply SRR extremely.
You then can mix this track with the normal track to your taste , a small delay (a few or some more ms) on that track could be a good try.
- saturation tricks of any kind, specially Mehdi's
- do this all together, and warn your parents...


crap..i usually do this stuff on other tracks. I never even thought of doin it to my DUB tracks. Thanxs for awaking my very troubled mind.



scope4live wrote:
I actually have used these since last winter.

The FAT-CS4 is the FAT-GS w/o the input gain. I like the GS better.

But I use the FAT-S in an AUX.

I like the way it makes the other AUX's FX get really warm, since I place it in the last ( 4th ) AUX on the STM1632.

But since I have the FB5 mixer, all inputs have the filters and FAT on the inputs of 8 mono channels, and 5 stereo channels.

The FAT's are great no doubt about it. But the mixer just makes everything FAT.

The 3 AUX's are capable of true bleedover, and separation. They have stackability also. AUX 2 & 3 are for the hardware reverbs, and the SL9000 is perfect for the master outs. It has a non coloring destructive gate, perfect for shaping the tails of delays and reverbs. Never thought I would use a virtual effect to make a Lexicon PCM91 more effective, no pun intended.


Thanx for the tip man!
hmm..when i enter SpaceF's shop and look stand alone products it say's,
FP Valve Mixer (to be released / price to be confirmed)

_________________
*knowledge is power*

Foona's Blog
Foona's MySpace
Foona on Facebook
Foona's Youtube
Foona's Twitter


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:00 pm
Posts: 12781
Location: PROJECT WINDOW
One of the many fierce predators he sells.

They hunt in packs.

_________________
https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/sets/solaris-demos-1
http://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/sets/sol ... akt-tunes/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2001 4:00 pm
Posts: 2402
Release Road Map:

- FP 106/104 (2 versions, for 2 screen resolutions, with 2 less channels for smaller screen).

- FB5 (Fader version only).

then other projects may be.

FP106B screenshot, quick preview (to prove not vaporware....nb: picture taken during "making of"... may be different on release (aligned graphics for ex...)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:00 pm
Posts: 12781
Location: PROJECT WINDOW
:-?

_________________
https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/sets/solaris-demos-1
http://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/sets/sol ... akt-tunes/


Last edited by dawman on Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2001 4:00 pm
Posts: 2402
thanks jimmy (pic removed)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 228
Location: netherlands
Try pitching your drums 12 to 24 tones up. for example in soundforge.
After that pitch your drums the same amount lower.
Nice for hiphop.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2002 4:00 pm
Posts: 1264
Location: Norway
Don't forget to try the free Tube Taper device.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:00 pm
Posts: 786
Location: Europe
I also use the FATs a lot and I am really happy with them as it is easy to get the sound/warmth you need. I mean it can be very subtle which is very important for me !

Jo


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 24, 2001 4:00 pm
Posts: 3180
FAT user here too. Definitely good to have. Also if you're serious about dub you HAVE to get Echo35, don't even question what i say - hit the Buy Now button at space f (waves hand slowly in Jedi motion).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:00 pm
Posts: 12781
Location: PROJECT WINDOW
SpaceF delays are awesome.

The presets w/ the new BBII upgrade can load all satellites and extras for a really great demo.

In the FB5 and other Valve mixers the placement of the FAT-S is embedded, but putting another one in the AUX 3, then bleeding over the PCM91 from AUX 1, using the AUX 1 amount knob in the 3 rd AUX makes those stereo AUX's drip w/ steam !

I just started recording w/ VDAT and various mixers and cannot believe the quality that the stereo paths provide.

I am having great sucess recording in this double mastering approach.

I record the track w/ the ammount of time based effects that I like, and then when I master, I can pan, and add EQ's.

I do record some dry tracks also, but only the ones where I don't use reverb or delay.

I especially like the filters or SSB Modulator on drums w/ FAT-S's for snares, and kicks.

Thick As A Brick.

_________________
https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/sets/solaris-demos-1
http://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/sets/sol ... akt-tunes/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:00 pm
Posts: 2042
Location: Germany, Augsburg
lol nice new nick Jimmy. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Donate to help support this community


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group