Using Multiple Synths

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

FrancisHarmany

Using Multiple Synths

Post by FrancisHarmany »

I just started creating some presets for several synths at one time. I am playing them as "one synth" and finding out what parameters in both synths are cool to modulate together!

This started when my friend had his Korg over and we hooked up a prodessey and minimax to the midi output! He was modulating the korg, I was modulating all the synths :)

So yeah I am addicted...... the current setup is: prodessey minimax pro-12. CC5 (spacef) is a very good tool to help me with this.

Another thing I am learning is to bypass the effects, and use only one output channel on all the 3 synths! This is mainly because Medhi's new mixers supposedly has mono channels which I have to use :P

Much more interesting sounds are created when panning & send effects are used. I am very much enjoy this wave of new discoveries I am on, so I thought I'd try and pick some minds on .Z ::

What synths do you love to play togther (as one!) ?

How do I "disrupt" the midi signal ? So I can make notes drop/stop ? ( I can use my midi keyboard to make notes drop and get interesting variations then)

Also, sometimes it seems that my Envelopes STOP WORKING!!! I have to reload the device, or sometimes switchvoices to 0 and back....... totally weird and I need to reinstall/upgrade my pc anyway! But it has happend several times.....
dawman

Post by dawman »

Yepp,

Now your'e talking my language.

CC8 is perfect for this when using synths where a larger interface is concerned.

I was using Solaris, QWave, and ProWave. But I had to use 2 DAW's as these FAT BASTARDS burn up DSP and bandwidth at an alarming rate. But I am a sick man, who suffers from Bowen-itis, and all my synths must have 8 voice poly to avoid envelope re-triggering, and voice stealing.

Using CC8 allows me to add serious control to pedals and ribbon controllers that seemed to have eratic values. Medhi's WAX-S's virtual pedal has the same customisable abilities.

I was sweeping WAV Oscillators, and Sample Oscillators w/ LFO's, etc., all being attached to the same CC's in these 3 synths. The sounds of just ProWave alone being swept was great, but when I added Solaris w/ to the mix, it became clear that was a super synth now.

But an example of an analog / virtual combo for monophonic use that I use live w/ great results is the SE-1x mixed w/ Sharcs C4T, and ProOne. ProOne and the SE-1x are mono, so they can be routed together and mixed with the C4T for a really FAT mono lead ability. Having slightly different portamento values on each synth is the key for really FAT leads. Try it out w/ what you have now, I am sure you will agree. Then add Mehdi's incredible mono effects and you will never stop playing the hybrid way. I use virtual and analog together in many ways. The sound of yesterday mixed with the sound of today. People that hear my rig actually think that the synths are all hardware.

I rather like the way I can apply totally different filters on ProOne vrs. 3.0 with the SE-1x. I like to have differnt pitch and waveform choices also. ProOne can add so many new timbres with it's current revision. When these three are combined live, my stereo sub and speakers really thump out the SPL's.

To Scope4live,.........trickery is his weapon,.......Illusion,..A Way Of Life.
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

I am learning so much :) Hopefully even _more_ DSPs and machines comming my way. Everybody thinks I am crazy but I am DSP hungry
ATM! need.... more..... control! haha

So this is a small Prodessey/Minimax co-up! You can hear me having fun with the arpegiator and CC5 :P

FAT is on the mixer output! (duh! ;)
Attachments

[The extension mp3 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

or 2....... =)
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

Yeah :(

I Will have to adat all the machines together :P
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

You should check out a Noah EX. An incredible synth.