FAT TAP

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

FAT TAP

Post by dawman »

SpaceF always helps me w/ special needs, and this special need stems from the 5 tap Lexicon algorithm.

Granted, I won't be able to use it in the way I was accustomed to.

The Lexicon series of delay algos has a 5 tap delay that has feedback per tap, HDamp, and LDamp, Pan, Volume, etc. This is awesome, but the great feature was having the ability to use MIDI to enlargen the chosen taps ms range with a single CC. For instance, I love having them set to a tight formation from 80 L and R ( tap 1 & 2 ) 135 L and R ( tap 3 & 4 ), and 175 Center. This can mimic the great multitap reverb sound of the Ursa Major. But then w/o a zippering effect, enlargen all the taps at once with a ratio level, btinging them out to 250ms L & R, 500ms L & R, and 750 Center. Only then do the shortcomings of our beloved platform, the zippers rear their ugly head. aarrgghh !!

Hence the need for hardware FX becomes too apparent. But still, the stock CW multitap was a good sounding effect, but it lacks seperate feedback controls and Damping per tap. Globally applied feedback is all it has, so Mehdi is gonna make me a custom FAT Tap like the Lexicon. It will unfortunately have zippers, but using a toggle switch style pedal, I will be able to step on it and hold it down ( since it is a toggle style ) so that the tap will disengage, and at the same time his mighty ECHO 35, or another choice will engage for the larger ms sized delays to kick in. When I release the pedal, it will re engage the FAT Tap, and dis engage the larger ms delay of my choice. Sounds intense, but is really quite simple, and once you hear Prowave with this effect, you soon become spoiled and cannot go w/o it.

Sure I could still use the Lexicon PCM81, but it is needed as a reverb along w/ the PCM91. So this is another example of a specailly designed effect that Mehdi has no problem creating.His workaround ideas are always quite phenominal.

My other option is to buy an Ursa Major..................http://www.dacs-audio.com/Distribution/ ... r_main.htm.

But since it is DSP based, I assume it will have zippers. Besides the 3U original is rare, and usually goes for thousands used.

SpaceF's solution will be much cheaper.

50 bucks,...right Mehdi ??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :o

Just kidding. His wish is my command as usual.