Synths + EQ's

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Synths + EQ's

Post by dawman »

Not that Zarg synths need any help in the filter department, especially the CEM's, but I must retract my statements on synths not needing EQ's, but rather filters. Well that was back in the hardware days, and really is invalid in our world of Virtual Analog. Hell, I even have recently added some new EQ's to my hardware analog with great results.

@ any rate, I have started adding EQ's to the insert rack in ProWave and have found new fullness. I get the presets sounding the way I like them, but after the filters have done their work there seems to be an additional trick to add. I have found that DAS's Polteq is a very synthy EQ. I have placed it in the insert rack on a few presets, using my Barbetta 32's instead of the headphones, and A/B them. The lows are not really heard in my Yamaha headphones, but in the UE Pro 10's it is noticable, but the Sona 32's is where the big difference is heard. This EQ is perfect for synth work, as it adds no color but rather bandwidth and cut / boost very precisely.

I have had fun with my sample libraries and DynaPara, PolyEK, and FAT CS4, but this little beauty from DAS is perfect. It has added such presence to an already great sound.

I guess that once you think your mix is good, there are always more tricks to learn.

My whole sound has changed drastically in the last two weeks, and that's a good thing.

I should learn to not be so opinionated when claiming how good things sound, and how they can't possibly be enhanced. This is false, as I have proven myself wrong, and I could'nt be happier.

I Shall Continue To Take Advice From DAS, Way To Go Olive,