Guitar

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Matt

Post by Matt »

I have recently regained possesion of my old electric guitar after tracing back through a long line of friends.

What devices/inserts would other guitar players recommend for getting some interesting sounds. I have had some great fun with the creamware pitchshifter and delay thing this weekend, and was just wondering what other devices work well.
Mo

Post by Mo »

yeppa, pulsar is a great multieffect for guitars... :grin:
try the modular! the bassist of "Mouse On Mars" always plays through the nordModular, so i tried to make some effectrack out of the pulsar´s modular. wow, it´s funny! :wink:

if there would be just one good amp-sim for the sharcs... yes, i know the two distortion and overdrive modules, and i know the 'fender' by ingo raven... all no good (though i didnt listen to newer versions of ingo´s sim. did he change the sound to a better one?)

Mo (getting the j-station this month)

ps.: btw, that´s a bit off topic, but... anyone knows which are the best sounding guitar amp speakers (12")? i have an 80 W laney combo amp, but the speaker died, and i want to replace it. it was an H&H. what should i choose? celestion is said to be good...
Michu

Post by Michu »

...so i tried to make some effectrack out of the pulsar´s modular. wow, it´s funny! :wink:
yep, custom wah, distortion, even decimation can sound interesting on guitar (especially preamp noise thru bit crusher :smile: )
and i know the 'fender' by ingo raven... all no good (though i didnt listen to newer versions of ingo´s sim. did he change the sound to a better one?)
no, Ingo didn't update it. i use it with sansamp psa-1 and they work nicely together.
i don't believe in digital distortions at all, in amp ir i found 2 presets that i realy like and this works for me.
i also like mehdi's stuff for guitar - phaser, horus, and moonizer.
garyb

Post by garyb »

mo-
about guitar speakers,there are more opinions than good answers as you might expect.celestion speakers are good but they make many different models.the vintage 30 is a good all around 75 watt speaker.ev's are nice too and i use vintage altecs.if you like the sound of your amp,the best thing would be to recone your perfectly good quality speaker currently in your amp.
Mo

Post by Mo »

On 2001-07-10 19:55, garyb wrote:
if you like the sound of your amp,the best thing would be to recone your perfectly good quality speaker currently in your amp.
that´s the point. i don´t like it :smile:
and i thought it could be better with a speaker that is not that 'inexpensive'... it´s a laney, 80 w combo, solid state amp.

but anyway, i´m happy now. no need to arrange the acoustics of the room, to build up a microphone, or two (three?), and to turn up the amp to heaviest volume... with the j-station i can record finest guitar sound digitally into pulsar :grin: this was definetively a good buy.
i think i´m going to record more guitars again next months... :wink:

have fun!
Mo
Mo

Post by Mo »

hey, apropos more guitars...

check out alfonso´s new guitar synth device in the modular patch area. there is one for the modular1 and one for the modular2.

get synthesized, guitarists :smile:

have fun,
Mo

<hr>

da peppi connection! music and video feeds at <a href="http://www.peppisworld.de">http://www.peppisworld.de</a>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mo on 2001-07-12 18:29 ]</font>
Peezahj

Post by Peezahj »

VST makes the best speakers although they're quite expensive. I know the Laney series that you've got, you'd probably want to go w/ something like a Celestion Greenback which rolls off the harsh high-end & gives a nice speaker break-up even when not driven too hard (to make up for the lack of tube break-up).

The Vintage 30 is a great, great speaker but it's more full-range than the greenback &, thus, will accentuate the solid state character of the amp. Same goes for EV or JBL speakers but even moreso.

Whichever speaker you get, it'll be worth getting a nice one because you can always keep it for when you move up to a better amp. One of Matchless's secrets was to have one greenback & one vintage 30 in their dc-30, the tonal mix helping to give that amp it's big, full sound.
Mo

Post by Mo »

thank you, i´ll have a look for the greenback.
hope it won´t cost much more than 100€.

i´m also thinking about building an own box for the amp (and making a stack device out of the combo amp).
well, let´s see when i can spend time for this.

again, thanks and
please have fun! :smile:
Mo
<font face="courier"><i>native wishes...</i></font><br><font face="verdana" color="orange">da <font size="+1">peppi connection!</font> <b><i>music</i> and <i>video</i></b> feeds at <font size="+1"><a href="http://www.peppisworld.de">www.peppisworld.de</a>
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

I found an envelope follower (from siegelmusic, I think) that can be loads of fun for guitarists.
As a touch-wah is just a low-pass filter controlled by the intensity of the guitarist's playing, you can emulate this with the envelope follower plugged in the Modular2.
Also, you can use the envelope of your guitar to gate loops(drum loops are especially fun!)

Let me know if you need more specifications as to how to do this.
Paul