flexorians unite!

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

eliam

flexorians unite!

Post by eliam »

Hey there, with the flexor 3 release firing up the modular community, I thought why not surf the creative wave and make some music together? My initial idea would dwell in the ambient mostly abstract realms of textures and innovative tones, made or mangled with flexor modules. For me to be involved in this venture, it would have to be on the smooth side more than the agressive side, for I don't like sonic attacks, I prefer soothing ambiances and universes. You know Robert Rich do you?

Would anyone be interested? It would involve defining some boundaries and directions, exchange patches, samples, ideas, and whatever we decide to reach the goal. That would be neat!

What do you say?
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

"...I don't believe in the Beatles..."
:lol:
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

"...I yust believe in me..."

Sorry, eliam, this is Saturnday night and I'm drunk... nothing agains you proposal... just drunk :lol:

Peace!
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

Count me in eliam, the music you described is right on my alley.
I have to get Flexor3 within the next two weeks, though.
So meanwhile let us get some more musicians join in and let us start to plan what we want to do.

cheers
eliam

Post by eliam »

Excellent! I was thinking about you actually while writing the first post! I'm patching quite a lot since I've had flexor, though many patches seem to be plagued with the dreaded preset bug... So I'm often unable to reopen the previous presets... :-/ I guess I'll be saving whole patches as 'presets'... and sampling a lot... flexor is incredible!

Do you have any theme that you think would be a good starting point? Thanks for the interest!

We'd need an ftp server to transit wave files...
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

I´ll get my head around a theme during the next days.
Paul is around your location isn´t he? Maybe he has got some time left and is interested too?

I have web space that we can use.
ReD_MuZe

Post by ReD_MuZe »

presets bug fix: delete Modular.pre from the Preset directory under scope

if its on your patches, the only way to write presets is only after you completely finished patching

i agree its very problematic. maybe holger can help us with that ... ;)
eliam

Post by eliam »

Thanks Assaf! It seems that even after a patch is completely finished, no matter how much care I take not to move any module or cord (only touch the controls), still when I reopen the patch it tells me that the presets are x% compatible... I'll try to figure it out, but I don't see any way around this most annoying problem... What kind of help do you think is required to make this workable?

Chris, yes Paul is near me, and so is redsun, I think they'd be interested to create if they have some spare time.

Summer has arrived, why not take the Sun as central theme? "Helios" could be a possibility. What say you?
ReD_MuZe

Post by ReD_MuZe »

anyhow what did you have in mind in tearms of musical project?
maybe i can contribute a line or two...
eliam

Post by eliam »

Awesome! Well, we could start with some patches and/or samples and send them to each other for a few levels of mangling and transmutations. The challenge is to produce a coherent array of tones and textures which will be mixed by one or more persons... That's why there could be some flexible boundaries to limit a bit the span, but I think it will happen naturally by each one's artistic discrimination. Some limitations I'd like would be to keep the sounds relatively non-agressive and not overly distorted so it remains somewhat soothing for the listener. But that's quite general.

I've worked on a patch yesterday with a trapezoid oscillator passed through 3 successive comb filters with extensive modulations. It produces some interesting and quite diverse sounds. I'll take a few samples later and let you hear.

As soon as we get the material flowing the alchemy should hopefully start acting, I'd like very much to have you as a contributor Assaf, Your work is incredible, hats off buddy!!!
Cheers!
ReD_MuZe

Post by ReD_MuZe »

what about the music (notes) dont you think we should start there?

i think patch making is fun, but the real art is to match the right patch to the specific musical sequence..
eliam

Post by eliam »

Yes indeed, I was just fiddling with a patch, with the theme of the Sun in my mind, my idea was to make a rich drone which could lay a foundation for the tune. I recorded a 10 minutes performances in 24 bits in which I think there are usable passages. I held a low D and an A most of the time, so this gives a fixed fundamental. Do you have a server where I could upload some files?
eliam

Post by eliam »

Ok, I made a dozen loops of rich low-pitched textures, on notes A and D, that should start things up... I'll figure how and where to upload them, probably on a free upload site... would you recommend any such site? I'll check and get back soon.
eliam

Post by eliam »

http://www.mediafire.com/?fgbnwzzg2md

Ok, here's a 40 megs zip with 11 files of drone material I've put together today. Let me know if it works and feel free to use, transform and layer the sounds as you see fit!
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

I am downloading and will have an audition later.

Currently my head is around the chaos theory, order through chaos and chaos through order, maybe I can find a way to transform my sick mind to some music/patches for this project.

Thank you so far.
eliam

Post by eliam »

great, let me know if you think it's usable and/or inspiring as a building block
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

ChrisWerner wrote:I am downloading and will have an audition later.

Currently my head is around the chaos theory, order through chaos and chaos through order, maybe I can find a way to transform my sick mind to some music/patches for this project.

Thank you so far.
:lol:

chaos theory is nice.
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

It was meant seriously.
Noise, random sound events on all frequencies with random amplitudes, you can´t predict it but you can form something out of it, bringing order to the chaos, physical modeling for example.

Jens Groh, one of our musicans at Spheric Lounge created a software synthesizer based on a digital feedback osc and forms everday new unpredictable sounds with it.
His synth runs on Mac only and is called Grohnium.
Maybe I can get something similar with Flexor 3, at least something with the base idea of the Grohnium.
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

Sorry for the delay of my answer, I had some problems with the download of your file. It is strange, always the last 200kb of the file won´t complete the download.
Anyway I could listen to all, except one of your recordings.

They sound nice and I am sure we will use them.

Let me make some suggestions, we have some notes you have used, that´s fine with me. Let us keep this as a base.

Have you ever tried to tune the synths to 442 Hz instead of the usual 440Hz?
Just try it if you have time, you probably will notice that a tuning of 442Hz will add a softer transition between each element/instrument of your track.

The difference of a 440Hz or 442Hz track is marginal but often used in ambient music.

I often use a tempo of 84 bpm on ambient tracks, it is aprox. the same tempo as your heart beats before you start to sleep. Your body will adapt this tempo and gets relaxed.

There is some time left for me to overbub something above your drones, I find them inspiring and I am sure something will come out.

Do you have any ideas of a final track, is there something you have in mind already?

cheers
eliam

Post by eliam »

Great! If you want to raise the pitch at 442 and lay down a tempo go for it! Which file did you not get?

I don't have a definite plan for this piece, I thought of including samples from instruments (which some of us would record). I have those instruments available: flute in C, alto flute in G, clarinet, bamboo flute in F#, a few recorders, kalimba (thumb piano-a nice one!), metallophones, violin, and a borrowed sitar. Tell me if you have a preference and I'll try and record some tracks which we could process at will with flexor.

The mixing of the track will be a great determining factor in the final result. I'd like to give it a try.

Let me know what comes up!