about these fat besses - in Trance style

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

arish

Post by arish »

Hi
i know i saw this tread some time ago here some where.
i need to ask this question.
How do you get these fat low and yet loud basses?
in the Trance style.
i have try every thing before asking this question.
please help is needed.
arish.

arish
hubird

Post by hubird »

onother accent:
give de kick a peak at 80 Hz, and let the bass play the main roll in the 40-65 Hz area.
You also can think of extra push by inserting an anhancer (more dynamic push) or even Transient Designer (more attack or even also sustain).
Velocity can controll the cut-off filter, reduce it a bit when kick notes are in sinc :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hubird on 2006-09-23 22:35 ]</font>
steffensen

Post by steffensen »

Or simply do the old layering thingy. One bass for the higher freq of the bass, and another for the low freq of the bass, and leave the kick in the middle.
You can do several other variations of this technique tho, its all up to your imagination i spose.
arish

Post by arish »

Thank you all, some usefull tips.

I use TauProVSTI,use a multiband compresor and EQ,than after i record it(from pulsar to cubase)i normalize it and compress it again.
i tried many combition and it always sound mudy and dull.
why on comercial tracks the basses sounds loud, clean and big ?

on wich octave do you do your Bassline?
maybe some body can upload a midi file or PNG file with an example, will be very greatfull.

anybody have or read the WAVES- THE TRANCE EXPIRIENCE? thinking of buying it,is it good for learning?

thanks again.
Arish
wayne

Post by wayne »

Do you have Minimax, arish?
arish

Post by arish »

No, wish i had...
arish

Post by arish »

thanks, stardust will try that any suggestion on any better bass syth, pulsar or VSTI?

i think now, that it maybe that its sound muddy and humy.. cos it miss slince spaces between the kik and the bass, that gives the feeling of the groove.

i notice that when i record the kik of the KIKME syth when i zoom on the sample in cubase its not sitts on the first bar, it has small deelay of few milseconds ??
and something similar happend with the TauPro when you zoom on the sample you can see a short nose of signal ??

what do i need to do to make these spaces be there and mark well the kik and bass from each other?
maybe somebody can say something on sidechainer compressor? i never use it and i heard that it does the job.

thanks on any tips
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

this might be obvious but one trick i've learned is to always take a little time to tune the drums (real or not) to the tune you are working on. This sometimes adds a lot of punch and definition
hubird

Post by hubird »

indeed! :smile:
Btw, I always correct bounced files for the right start timing.
I have a standard 60 ms delay on bounced tracks (via SFP that is).
arish

Post by arish »

does this problem of deelay from MIDI to audio (cubase) can be fixed?
hubird

Post by hubird »

as far as I know, no.
It's latency, recording a source-midi file via ASO (sequencer--SFP--sequencer) gives some latency, you can't change that, at least not in my old Cubase 5.
(there is no problem when playing audio and midi, Cubase cares for the delays in timing, but you know that).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hubird on 2006-09-29 08:02 ]</font>
pollux

Post by pollux »

On 2006-09-23 10:42, arish wrote:
Hi
i know i saw this tread some time ago here some where.
i need to ask this question.
How do you get these fat low and yet loud basses?
in the Trance style.
i have try every thing before asking this question.
please help is needed.
arish.

arish
Try the three-o-three synth.. that's phat :wink:
The SB-404 is not bad either...
(rebirth could also do the trick, which is freeware now... but this is not scope :grin:)
symbiote

Post by symbiote »

Pro-12.
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

i notice that when i record the kik of the KIKME syth when i zoom on the sample in cubase its not sitts on the first bar, it has small deelay of few milseconds ??
and something similar happend with the TauPro when you zoom on the sample you can see a short nose of signal ??
sadly, midi isn't always as tight, timing-wise as we would like in these modern days. Small delays can and will happen. You can compensate somewhat by setting a positive delay in the track inspector for the midi track that is late. (in Cubase SX, there's a little clock icon underneath the panning and volume sliders). This sets the midi on this track to play ever so slightly early, so it hopefully cancels out the delay.

For drums, for example the kickme kick you want to use, I would advise sampling it, and then playing it from a VST software sampler (I use Native Instruments Battery). This should give you much tighter timing (since VSTi's are supposed to be sample accurate)
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

arish wrote:Thank you all, some usefull tips.

I use TauProVSTI,use a multiband compresor and EQ,than after i record it(from pulsar to cubase)i normalize it and compress it again.
i tried many combition and it always sound mudy and dull.
why on comercial tracks the basses sounds loud, clean and big ?

on wich octave do you do your Bassline?
maybe some body can upload a midi file or PNG file with an example, will be very greatfull.

anybody have or read the WAVES- THE TRANCE EXPIRIENCE? thinking of buying it,is it good for learning?

thanks again.
Arish
tau is good for trance bass.
imo u dont even need compression, defo not normalisation....
just play with the synth until it sounds right, and get a kick that matches well with it.
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
steffensen

Post by steffensen »

Why do u recomend VSTi's when there is SCOPE synths? :)
astroman

Post by astroman »

... I would advise sampling it, and then playing it from a VST software sampler (I use Native Instruments Battery). This should give you much tighter timing (since VSTi's are supposed to be sample accurate) ...
because midi timing (across applications) isn't as tight as one would expect it to be, KoS assumes the timing is more precise in one single application, the sequencer. The 'sound' origin is a Scope synth anyway... ;)

cheers, Tom
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

i use the following synths for basslines in psytrance style:

Logic esM - Fat and rich bass

Logic es1 - Skinnier than esM, more flavor somtimes. Good analog feel.

Fruity Loops 3osc - using just 1 saw osc, tight envelops, groovy clicky bassline sound, not so fat though.

Tau1 - fat and rich, better sound for basses i am after than the tau2 or pro.

if you are after rolling basslines these do the trick and then some. ;) :D
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

it always sound mudy and dull.
my recommendation is simple..

If you think your bass is muddy and dull, don`t use VSTis. Few are able to produce a powerful bass for that music style. Take a higher class CW emulation or use a true analog.

The filters grab better into the sound and the final result won`t be dull nor without pressure.