Synth Morphs

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Post by dawman »

I have always looked 4 something unique with synth performances, like jumping from my CS-80 to my Oberheims ( pad switching ) just to add different sounds. This is so nice in SFP. Go to OBX-c, to Solaris Modular, to Prodyssey, to ProOne all by switching MIDI channels on my controller. Prodysseys Greek Mythology patches are great to end on BTW. I just love my new DAW!
wayne

Post by wayne »

Yeah, the Greek patches are cool :smile:
Lima

Post by Lima »

I really love to play on a cs80 one day in my life... Lucky you!!!! :roll:
Welcome to the dawning of a new empire
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

I love the morph feature inside Reaktor 5, from one patch to another with a slide.
And I love the (controlled) random feature inside FM7 too.
I really don't know if in Scope SDK is possible to implement this stuff but I find it very cool!
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
garyb

Post by garyb »

don't forget the faders on your mixer are a morph feature..........
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

nope gary, just potential dividers... ;-)
dawman

Post by dawman »

A CS80?
I heard the Oberheims after I bought the Yamaha, and was immeadiately regretful of my purchase. It was 7200 USD that I had to finance half of. It was the worst synth I ever owned. The best thing about it was the polyphony, and the ribbon controller. Other than that it really sucked. Well, I admit the brass pres, 1 & 2 are what sold me. But this was an overweight, overpriced synth, that I used for one year only. My road crew back then really hated me, as I used a Hammond B3, Yamaha CP-80, Helpenstill Upright, Melotron, D6,Oberheim OBX, 2 x 147 Leslies, Moog Synamp, and that CS80. These were the big rock days, and everything was cased in ATA's with Anvil. I had to buy them drugs and beer just to keep from being publicly beaten. Funny thing though, all that equipment, and I only made 400 USD a week, as we were trying to stay on steady with Atlantic/ATCO. Sleeping 4 to a room, etc. Record deals aren't what you think unless you sell nationally very quick. Half the lights, half the PA. I was punished nightly. The only thing that kept me going was the chicks, and the dope. That was a long time ago. Now the only thing keeping me going is SFP, and 3rd party developers. My rig does everything it use to, but w/o a crew. So now I buy drugs and beer for the young chickadees. Just kidding.
steffensen

Post by steffensen »

:lol:
Liquid Len

Post by Liquid Len »

:)

Did the CS-80 stay in tune? I tried a CS-60 in a shop a few months ago and I was underwhelmed by its sound, even making up for the fact that it was sourly out-of-tune. The records I hear the CS synths on, must have a lot of processing to beef up the sound, is all I can figure.

And - do the Grateful Dead really come to Las Vegas to gamble?
garyb

Post by garyb »

living dead.
dawman

Post by dawman »

The best CS80 track I can remeber was Toto. Down In Africa I think. Porcaro even used the ribbon controller with great effect. I will try to dig up a recording of my group live when we opened up for Charlie Daniels back in 1981. The CS80 actually sounds pretty good when recorded. This was an old mono recording with a video done, the levels and mix were excellant. I even got a write up for my synth/piano solo which came before the honcour. 26,000 people in my home town, I thought I was going to be a contender.
The CS80 sounded good, as it was the brass pre.'s I described in earlier post. But they just really paled when the OBX hit the scene. I spent way too much money on equipment back then. I would just finish paying something off and then, wow here's the Fairlight CMI, or the Synclavier from NED for a mere 178,000 USD. Wow, gotta have it. I was out of my fucking mind from the synth guru game.
Since I am now going to purchase Cubase 4, I can start archiving some old stuff. I even have an 8 track of my band. Now I am really starting to bum out. But believe me guys, I am 51 years old, and have not one regret. We truly get better with age when it comes to music. Follow your heart, and the happiness and cash will follow. There is nothing stopping you from sucseeding, especially with tools like SFP and audio/MIDI sequencers. I have been beaten down and rejected so many times, I am actually looking forward to the next time it happens. Bad news is much better than no news.

Arriva Derci,