A 10 year Quest (wich synth is this?)

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

steffensen

Post by steffensen »

The topic refers to, me wanting to know wich synth created this synthsound for the last 10 years or so. Its not that ive been on a hunt since then :razz:, but its time i get some answers to still my mind!

The sound is some kind of synth-harpish sound, and i get close results with my PPG VSTi and Oddity, but its still not "right".
I have also tried somewhat in Modular, but it would help knowing wich original synth that made this, so i could "copy" the idea.

The clips below (besides the last 2), is from Alphaville's first album, and i did some research on what synths they used for it:
JP8, PPG, Oddysey, Roland-100, Solina and Korg MS-20 (and -10).

Ok, there are of course other sounds playing as well, but if u have synth-harpish sound in the aim, u can focus in on that one.

Enough waffling, here's the mp3:

Take me to the Clips

Any hints, ideas etc. is most welcome of course. :smile:

- steffensen
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

Yes, it seems mainly a PPG sound, also in some cases could be an Odyssey (the Mp3 contains a lot of excerpts...)
With VSTi U can find a similar sound, but if U whant this "special exact" sound U must go for real thing because this warmth and "instability" that makes THAT SOUND is exclusive from vintage/analog output converter/amplifier.
Don't forget that in some cases is also the recording media that makes "that sound", i.e. multitrack tapes, compressors, eqs, etc.

I've the same problem with my Roland Juno60: nothing in digital domain could reproduce the warmth of my vintage keyboard! No VSTi, no DSP (maybe only Creamware's Pro-12 is near in soud, but only with some tricks like i.e. external tube warming signal, etc.), maybe with some sampling with Gigastudio (but obviously all becomes so static!)

Same thing about my Korg Wavestation EX compared to Korg Wavestation VSTi...

In VSTi enviroment a lot of developer are concentrated, from years, about the correct VCO/VCF emulation but a good 30%-40% of "that sound" is made by gear converter & amplification.

Gmedia Oddity sounds like a toy compared to Creamware Prodyssey!!!
PPG VSTi is a very old product so today I can't say that is a good emulation.
Creamware's synths are actually the non plus ultra of analog emulation in digital domain, with Access Virus (but I find the motorola DSP based synths a little cold compared to Shark), but the gap between real thing and DSP is today still big.
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
steffensen

Post by steffensen »

PPG or/and Odyssey were my guesses too, and even tho ive managed to create similar sounds in them, they are similar in another way.

Its liek i can make a DX7 bass with a PPG, maing it similar, but i wont get a DX7 bass if i dont make it on a DX7.

I completely understand what u mean, with that i cant achieve the exact sound without having the exact synth. Im happy if i can get really close with scope/vst synths however.

I have managed to get a real close "emulation" of my Roland Alpha Juno 2, in Modular, wich makes me curious if i couldnt create some form of emulation of this synth-harpish sound too. Hence why it would be useful knowing wich synth made it, and how to achieve it.

Good point, recording media etc. Didnt think of that!

I am saving up for the Prodyssey now, trying to sell some plugins etc. So hopefully i can get my hands on that soon.. would be nice to have a demo until i can afford it tho, but oh well..

The Oddity and PPG VSTi arent that bad tho. Oddity sure has the odyssey character, and the PPG does what it does really well. Cant replace my PPG VSTi with anything else as of yet actually.

By the way, here are some info about Alphaville's synth arsenal during the time for their first album etc.

http://users.skynet.be/zaza.m/jp2.jpg
http://users.skynet.be/zaza.m/jp3.jpg

Dunno what to make of it tho, as they state both that they use a JP8 and then later, that they cant afford one. The PPG isnt mentioned until later in the article either.

Anyhow, the search goes on! Its really time to hunt down this Quest for real this time. Gotta get past it. :grin: