Solaris + Kyma Capybara

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Post by dawman »

I use to use Giga to play my old ARP, and Oberheim sounds with so-so success, afterall I had to convert them from 16 bit Emulator samplers, but combined w/ the XPander/Matrix 12 combo, it did my polyphonic chords O.K. but I never really was very enthralled about it. And then God created Solaris. So I played these old fat sounds through its WAV oscillators and viola!! It was actually too fat,i.e.over multiplying SAWS, and PULSES, and SQUARES,blah,blah,blah. But the DJ I'm rehearsing with right now gave me a DVD full of his Kyma WAV.'s. Now it is clear to me what I will be doing for the rest of this summer. These waveforms created in Kyma are not fat or thick, but totally unique to my ears at least. He records these as soundscapes, and FX for his segues, and plays them on an Akai 5000 sampler. I have just mixed about 30 of these into Solaris, and only have about 300+ to go. I am so impressed with this platform and John Bowen that I am speechless. My old XPander, and Matrix 12 seem so limited to me now. These unique and evolving waves go from high end to low to liquid to descending sprinkles. it is just what I needed to inspire me into the future. To me this is the ultimate creativity. While most of us are writing and recording w/ Scope, I'm going to try to make a hit record with a patch. Sounds insane? Yepp, but I now have the tools to extract the creations in my head, right into Scope and out to my speakers. Now that is what I call convergence!!

To Us, And Those Like Us,

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: scope4live on 2006-04-13 20:46 ]</font>
eliam

Post by eliam »

well, I'd certainly like to hear some of the stuff that's brewing in your sound lab... I'm having my share of fun too, I'm creating very interestins pad-like sounds by layering an insane quantity of different sounds -often using all my dsp and cpu resourves- which I bounce to stereo waves, to process again before creating sampler patches with them. The richness of the soundscapes I create is often quite amazing, on the side of pad style textures. My music remains quite tonal, so I need to be able to play chords with my sounds...
dawman

Post by dawman »

I will post some of this stuff probably in the early summer before I start playing this dance club. I also am maxing out w/DSP's, but the sound is so great I'm not complaining. I'm down to B2003, and Solaris @ 8 voices, and 4 Aux buss FX. It uses all of my 27 DSP's. I sure hope CWA or John Bowen come up w/ some cards that use PCIe, and 200MHz SHARCS.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: scope4live on 2006-04-14 15:10 ]</font>
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Wow, that's some serious DSP usage :grin:
You could maybe consider running B-2003 on a Noah to free up some of your main rigs' DSP power. The Noah would give you additional synths & options. It's best used synced to wordclock from a syncplate with audio streaming over ADAT lightpipe back to your DAW (as I'm sure you know) :smile:
astroman

Post by astroman »

well, a single Soloris voice may consist of upto 20 oscillators and 8 filters simulataneously...
a B2003 more or less doesn't matter much in this context :wink:

cheers, tom
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

From that point of view it would make little difference. Harnessing the power of Noah for live use combined with Solaris on a main Scope rig however, could indeed make a BIG difference.

Solaris + B2003 is far from the same as Solaris + Noah. That was my point. S4L can decide for himself based on incoming suggestions such as this.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Every week I regret buying Project cards instead of 3 x Pro.'s. I now have 2 x 6 DSP's, and 1 x 15 DSP in live rig. I'm renting my studio box for a while so I hope there is no more upgrade blues. I just upgraded Solaris 3.0 to 4.0 and most of my patches sound different to me, so I'm starting all over again. But the B2003 uses very little DSP compared to Solaris. I only use 6 patches and change the envelopes and filters on the fly w/ my controller. So much nicer than the mouse as controller. But 7 voices on Solaris sounds so nice, I don't care how much DSP it uses. Real analog for bass sounds, and mono work. Once I get some more of the Kyma waveforms converted I will be set for summer. Solaris mixed w/ sampled ARP 2600S.Oberheim,D-50, and Kyma is sent my brain into the future.

Strength And Honor,
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Man, what you're talkin' about sends my brain into the future :smile: (well that might be the fact that it's 6 am here & I've been up all night) :grin:
dawman

Post by dawman »

Look in Off Topic thread.