connecting synths

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

ARCADIOS

Post by ARCADIOS »

is it possible to play a synth and pass the singal through the midi and connect it to a second synth?
if this is not so easy to do, which machines can be connected the one after the other?
for example i read somewere in the forum that a synth(don't remember which one) had completelly different sound when it was passed through another synth......
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Any MIDI device can be connected to any other MIDI device. Now, how they sound being connected in a particulary way, it's difficult to say, as there are thausands of posibilities. You should try thinking what kind of sound you are looking for.

Anyway, if you want a synth behind the other but you want to use only one, why so bother connecting them together. Perhaps the best for you would be to asign another MIDI channel in your sequencer, and then plug, un plug it from there, as you need.

Hope this helps in something
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

I think what you're looking for is not passing MIDI through another synth. You're probably talking about actually taking an audio output from a synth and using that as a modulation source of another synth. This is typically done with a vocoder, where you stick a synth in input A, and modulate it with a mic input.

Not all synths have audio in. Actually, I don't think many of them have audio in. But you can always make one with the mod environment. For example, you can use the volume envelope of the audio in to modulate a bandpass filter. Or use a threshold on the volume envelope to trigger samples. And stuff like that.

Or you can do what nestor suggests. Build interconnected algorithms that alter an incoming MIDI stream. I think you can do that with plogue bidule.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kensuguro on 2006-01-10 16:20 ]</font>
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Arcadios, do you mean take the 'analogue' output from one synth & feed it into the analogue input of another??

If so, most (though not all) synths' analogue inputs are routed either to a mixer section (where it can be mixed with the 2nd synths OSCs) then on to the 2nd synths' filter & amp stage, or directly to the filter & amp stage. Although, If I'm not mistaken the odd synth passes or allows you to pass the signal directly to the amp stage.

It's also worth noting that if you're asking for a list of hardware synths (analogue & digital) which have analogue input/inputs, then the list is too long to give you, as probably around 50% of all syntheseisers ever made have had an analogue input or 2 (not counting voltage controlled analogue modulation inputs such as VCF or VCO mod)