We need to do a deeper, unsophisticated criticism, to our mu

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nestor

Post by Nestor »

“Every” single time I give a point of view about compositions, remixes or any musical work in our music forum, I can’t help feeling a certain uneasiness when pointing out things I think don’t work too well.

I think it is important to have the freedom to speak about what you like or dislike, always respectfully and explaining what you mean, as it is important to be able to “listen” to what others say, even if you are an experience engineer, musician and composer.

I am convinced that “other” can discover aspects of my music that I can’t notice by myself, so I need to be open to straight, unsophisticated criticism; this can’t be but a welcomed feature that will help me be a better musician.

I would like deeper, sincere criticism to happen more often. We need to understand that we are together in this growing process as members of a musical community, Planet Z, that there is no destructive intention on critics, all on the contrary, that we find a very positive way of learning about ourselves and our music.

To be able to learn fast and without prejudice about the processes of your creativity, you need to let you ego at the rear of your understanding, so you can hear what others have to say. If somebody feels everything he does is always right, always perfect, there is for sure a problem of some sort, and this is not always a good thing.

I encourage everybody to this growing process, good for us all, I would love to hear deeper but respectful criticism to the music we post in the Z. Let make of the music forum a real school, where everybody is a student and a teacher.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
hubird

Post by hubird »

Image............. 'I hate my own mixes, but people seem to like them, now I feel misunderstood'
garyb

Post by garyb »

:lol:
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

I go along with Nestors wish and will try to help where I can.
(Haven´t we got this discussion before?)

Anyway, I feel that the music forum gets a bit dry. Mostly, you read something like cool or great, or nothing incl. smilys)

Take a bit more time with your replys, the composers took a long time for the song!

Just a wish.

I would never be offended by critic, I like open talk.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChrisWerner on 2005-07-03 00:19 ]</font>
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

That's it Chris, this is what I would like to happen too.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Perhaps we are too careful with our fellows Pulsarian friends with the aim not to harm susceptibilities, which is great, but too much of it could make statements quite empty and useless by the end, because you don’t get to the points that need to be changed.

Some times we can post “very” personal views about how a song should sound, this happens particularly when you belong to a completely different musical world than the one of the poster, stylistically speaking; this is interesting as it opens your mind. For instance, I did hate techno and heavy dance music, but seen there were so many in the Z loving it, I gave it a go, and started listening, analyzing and creating dance music for fun. Now I have a different approach to it thanks to opening myself to what others had to say about my music, even if they belong to the dance world and not to the fusion-jazz and classical ones, which are mine. This way we enrich ourselves through the far away perception of other feelings and tastes. I have even gone as far as composing an album in Techno stile, which was an exiting experience and a steep learning curve as well, because the style is completely different to what I new, I have to say. I have also started composing some atmospheric electronic music stimulated by listening to Chris Werner’s music, inspired by his music because I have taken the time to study and understand it. This kind of things is what I am talking about.

We should perhaps concentrate more in the song itself, and not as much in the person when posting, so this uneasiness goes away when you need to analyze his work. Anyway, the point is to better what you do, everyday, and criticism, even if sometimes can be a bit harsh for the creator of the song, it is a good way to concentrate the attention in the essence of things, i.e., music, instead of concentrating so much in oneself.

We can always stand for what we have done explaining that the way the song has been made IS exactly what you wanted for it to be. This happens some times, and then the listener is the one who has to work hard listening once and over again, to attempt to understand the composer point of view, aesthetics, musicality, etc., instead of his own.

I have noticed that when a bunch of people is telling you something similar about the same thing, it happen to be true. For instance, if more than half of the reviewers are telling you: “hey, your cymbals are too harsh, they have too much headroom”, most probably it is true, and it is wise to pay attention to it, and even try changing it, this is what the music forum is all about for me.
hubird

Post by hubird »

DreadBomb:
I'd like to see the arrangement a bit more extrapolated.

DetuneFish:
You're right, but ma mom came by so I made this mix in a hurry.

Dreadbomb:
I see, I learnt a lot.

DetuneFish:
Yeah, I will finish it next sunday.

Dreadbomb:
No, I mean I will lock the door when I plan a session.

DetuneFish:
I see, I learnt a lot.

Dreadbomb:
BTW, about that snare...

DetuneFish:
I know, I know, I'm expecting the new XXBig Drum cdrom from Outaspace LIB, so next sunday...

Dreadbomb:
No no, that snare is terrific, mind exploding, you should keep it!

DetuneFish:
always those doubts :sad:
thank you anyway, much appreciated, BTW, are you looking for a Pulsar2 occasionally?

BrainCake:
Me$$iah

Post by Me$$iah »

Hi, Im new to these here forums,and i gotts say say they rock.
Ive had so many questions to ask and with a little looking ive found the answer.

Now as to the point of a critical review of the music the try this website for a great boost to creativity with a fair review at the end
http://www.songfight.org
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Thank you for the link! I nevertheless prefer to read and write here in the Z, as I have not much spare time to go through other forums, I already spend quite a few hours a week here, at what I consider to be my virtual home.

Anyway, I read a little about the page you suggest, but found it in the other extreme, perhaps too harsh sometimes. I am not suggesting a war between musicians, not at all, I would dislike it much, all on the contrary. But I would like to see more daring reviews and clear ideas, without the uneasiness that apprehension of telling what you think generates.
Me$$iah

Post by Me$$iah »

hey Nestor,

I know wat you mean about spending time here. I spend a lot of time at songfight and theres a good bunch of cats there, some excellent musos, but since buyging my creamware cards and subsiquently finding this place. Im spending many hours here myself, mostly just reading everything at the moment (trying to understand these cards).
And the music that is posted here is of a really high standard, but at the monment my creativity is taking a slioghtly more back-seat, until I get my setup right.lol.
I thought I had it but after reading the current topic in XTCMode thread even, well it looks like ive got my cards setup all wrong.

still learning is fun
-Me$$iah

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Me$$iah on 2005-07-21 21:39 ]</font>
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

I don't know, Nestor. I have always been pretty honest with my reviews/suggestions and I don't see replies as needing to be so "politically correct".

We post music here to get feedback and I believe I have always got honest views to what I was trying to achieve, although MP3's are the worse format to judge anyone's work by.

If you think some people are paranoid about the reviews they read about ther work, it's THEIR problem, not yours.

I for one always enjoy reading what you have to say about my work, but then we have a mutual admiration for each other's work, don't we? :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: paulrmartin on 2005-07-11 17:16 ]</font>
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Got your point Paul and I have to tell you that this post has been born thanks to your review: http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... forum=17&8 remember? I'd like reviews to be as clear as yours, when needed. This caused me to think about the kind of writings we do in the forum. I don’t think people are dishonest or something like that, just thought that perhaps we are too careful sometimes.

No doubt I admire your work Paul! :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nestor on 2005-07-11 21:46 ]</font>
braincell

Post by braincell »

I prefer to comment on the ones I like or if there are elements I really like or if the person just has talent.