Rac / Keyboards / Hardware synths.

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

...oh, you can now add a Roland Jupiter-4 to my previous list. Really must stop buying stuff.

Mr A
funkysam

Post by funkysam »

Once I had a Roland JD-800 and kick myself my bottom each day that I´ve sold it, would be a great midi controller now.
Don't be so sad because it's not that great as a MIDI controller. Of course, you can use the keyboard, but sliders and knobs send sysex AFAIK, so you need a software to convert those sysex back to CC to be usable in Scope environment.

I myself have a JD-800, traded not a long time ago with a Yamaha, but I didn't have much time to try it, but it seems nice with all sort of pads.

BTW, having lots of outboard gear takes a lot of time to setup correctly, but once it is done, what a pleasure :wink:, especially when you can recall all parameters via MIDI...(definitely not for vintage analog gear).
dawman

Post by dawman »

BTW,
I just purchased the M-Audio KS-88. It feels very light compared to the behemoths I've used.The action is OK but kind of synthy, which is fine. AVALIVE.com for 410 USD. So cheap I had to try it. Eventually I hope to replace my aging Oberheim MC3000. It's actually killing my back. So I'm the aging controller afterall.
Fearless

Post by Fearless »

I use a Nord Modular G2x, Waldorf Microwave XT, Proteus 2500 with world, vintage and beat extension. For the effects I offen use a DP4+
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

thanks to scope i've sold all my outboard synths and efx(virus, nord modular, supernova, superbasstation, jv 2080, tr rack, tc fireworks, tc gold channel, lexicon pcm 91) and i have a mc2000 master keyboard and a emu launch pad.
I still have a aphex 104, a pcp330 procoder and tascam da20 dat that i use very rare :smile:
I know that eyes are happy with lots of outboard around the studio, but i'm more happy without cables and recalling projects with a single click.....

Micron
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

mmm lots :smile: [ed]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shroomz on 2006-02-05 09:31 ]</font>
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

& a few others :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shroomz on 2006-02-05 09:32 ]</font>
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Edited out, sorry :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shroomz on 2006-02-05 09:32 ]</font>
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

-Roland Juno 60 + kenton midi (Pad-Strings)
-Crumar DS-2 + Philip Rees MCV (Analog solos)
-Korg Wavestation EX (Evolving pads-atmosphere)
-Korg DS-8 (FM)
-Arturia ARP 2600v

-Doepfer Drehbank (midi controller)
-Boss SE-70 (guitar)
-Yamaha DD55 (drum pad)
-Yamaha EZ-AG (midi guitar)
-SR Tecnology 01 (x2) Tube mic pre amp
-SE Electronics 2200a (condenser mic voice)
-Senheiser K6 modular condenser mic (instruments)
-a lot of el.guitars (Fender)
-a lot of acoustic & classical guitars (made in Spain)
-a lot of basses (Fender)
-Tascam Us224 for Laptop
-UAD-1 project & UAD-1 studio
-various mic, mixers, cables etc.

Maybe I will sell the Juno because the amazing Pro-12 and Arturia ARP because my new Prodyssey =)
Herr Voigt

Post by Herr Voigt »

Roland XV-5050
Yamaha MU-90
Korg 05 R/W

Brrr - 3 GM modules, but mostly I use the other sounds or the combis. I made good experiences with live gigs.

M-Audio keystation pro 88
Fatar 1100 (a bit broken, the velocity of the keys is not even, but the pianistic feeling is better than M-Audio)
Doepfer pocket dial
Fostex VC-8

All other sounds are software.
braincell

Post by braincell »

Current Favorite is the G2.
darkrezin

Post by darkrezin »

Shroomz - what's the Octave Cat like? Is it really as close to an Arp Odyssey as people say?
ChampionSound

Post by ChampionSound »

Hi,

Wow, a lot of people here have an awful lot of hardware! :eek:

I'm still happy with the few synths I've got right now. No analog or vintage stuff though.

- Evolution MK261 61 keys master keyboard
- Focustite Penta (mic preamp + compressor)
- TC Electronic M300
- Roland JP-8080 (My first hardware synth and it's still a great working horse for me)
- Emu Proteus 2500 (for the bread'n'butter sounds)
- Novation A-Station (small but it can sound quite 'big')

Here's my little rack:
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

On 2006-01-28 19:50, darkrezin wrote:
Shroomz - what's the Octave Cat like? Is it really as close to an Arp Odyssey as people say?
PM me your email address if you like & I'll send you some of the CAT samples we've taken.

Surprisingly, the CAT & Kitten have a much higher build quality than the Odyssey & Axxe. Our CAT is an early model which has factory botched pcbs with xtra wire traces completing the circuits. It has unstable tuning & psycho resonance on self oscillation, but it's built like a tank compared to an Odyssey & sounds absolutely incredible :smile:

Later CATs (SRM & SRM II) were more stable & had filters on chips (the latter being SSM) which is what's in our KittenII (based on same architecture as the CAT SRM II). These later models have stable tuning & much improved keyboard designs, but don't have the original descreet filter.

As far as I know, it was the duophonic keyboard design which ARP sued them for copying. On the synth architecture side other than that, the only similarity worth mentioning is the ability to cross modulate the oscillators (modulate OSC1 with OSC2 & vice versa) which definately gives similar sonic possibilities, though not the same due to the raw oscillator waveforms having different imperfections resulting in slightly different shapes.

No doubt you could squeaze similar sounds out of a CAT & Odyssey if you wanted to, but under scrutiny they definately wouldn't sound the same. Even just puting a decent scope to the two synths' oscillators, you'd see a difference in the waveform shapes.

I wouldn't swap the CAT for an Odyssey this side of an alien invasion, but I'd like a 2600 if we had the space.

I don't currently have the server bandwidth to support a load of Octave Cat samples being regularly downloaded, so I can't post them for you all at the moment, but send me your email address if you want some CAT samples & they're all yours..
darkrezin

Post by darkrezin »

Thanks for the info Shroomz... PM sent :smile:
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Sent you a download link, so you should have access to over 92mb of jibberish spewing from the CAT :grin:
H-Rave

Post by H-Rave »

I've got a cs1x and now novation remote 25 le,waldorf microq for nasty synth sounds,a korg n1r for clean strings etc.three guitars ibanez 440s a prs tremonti le,nice guitar a marshall 80w tube preamp a boss gt-6 great guitar effects and no compositional capabilities whatsoever, but god isn't it great.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: H-Rave on 2006-02-19 14:41 ]</font>
dawman

Post by dawman »

Oberheim Matrix 12 w/ 6 voice XPander
Studio Electronics SE-1x

BTW the gentlemen with the Studio Electronics Omega 2 knows what is FAT. As that is the only true analog that is being built anymore with that kind of power w/o being modular.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: scope4live on 2006-07-30 13:40 ]</font>
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

Roland JV2080 with expansions: voice, piano, drum & bass, sfx, asia.
sound is so far workable.