Best Creamware/3d-p synths

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nouveau

Post by Nouveau »

I know that Minimax and Prodyssey are the best synths for the Pulsar platform. I do like Prodyssey a bit more (in soundquality) then minimax.
Now I like to know how these synths compares to 3rd Party PlugIns like:
-wavelength -synths
-zarg music -synths
-ect ect

Thanks for answering already
scary808

Post by scary808 »

The 3rd party synths are obviosly a different beast.

Right now, the Wavelength bundle is an absolute steal. Stephens devices aren't your every day analog simulations. He really thinks outside the box when he builds his devices. His Sparc synth is my personal fave. It sounds HUGE! His new OP-8 sounds very crazy & good.

The Zarg synths are another must have in your Scope arsenal. These as well aren't garden variety virtual analog synths. Most notable, Solaris. This synth is as deep as you can get. It takes the sometimes tedious form of modular synthesis & makes it very quick & intuitive. Also, the Red Dwarf is another very deep synth with a similar architecture as Solaris. The beauty of both is you can use the Modular II & MOD3 modules as Osc, Filt, etc... Oh & I almost forgot, you can use the Flexor(another must have) modules in it as well. The upcoming RedDrum is also looking to be essential.

So those are the synths that I(and I think most everyone here agrees) think are the beauties. I personally do not have all of these synths but I have tried all of the demos. When finances permit they will ALL be mine.
Nouveau

Post by Nouveau »

I want to buy some new CW synths for my pulsar1.
Can you telle me the difference between: prodyssey/minimax/solaris/uberplastic (which seems to be the best CW plugs)
Is one synth more usealble for solos and the others for other things?

And If you dont know or dont look which synth you are playing: Which one sounds the best?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nouveau on 2004-09-11 05:20 ]</font>
wavelength

Post by wavelength »

Thanks for the interest, guys! please, give my devices a try... there are full-functioning demos available from my website (with a 'ping' sound that cycles) and the demos come with a huge pile of presets that should give you an idea of how the synths sound -- go ahead and give them a test-drive and then you can decide for yourself how they might work for your music.

You will find screenshots, specs and demo versions of my synths here:

http://www.track0.com/wavelength/devices.html

Thanks again,

Stephen
wavelength devices
johnbowen

Post by johnbowen »

Nouveau,

Yes, Stephen (wavelength) Hummel's synths are a great package, especially at his current bundled price. Also, I think his stuff may be a little less demanding on your DSP resources than mine...although of course, I'm happy to send you demos of Zarg synths where possible (there's no demo of the Red Dwarf EX, for example).

Best thing, as always, is to try stuff out and see what suits your ears and your musical style (and pocketbook).

good luck, and welcome to the world of Pulsar!

regards,
john bowen
bowen synth design
zarg music
Nouveau

Post by Nouveau »

I've tried uberplastic demo and I think this synth isnt for me...

I also tried solaris demo.
I dont own minimax, but isnt solaris different from vintage synths like prodyssey and minimax?
I think its more compareable with linplug albino. Dont you think?
wavelength

Post by wavelength »

You just have to figure out what exactly it is you want to achieve with any particular instrument. What is it you want to use the instrument for? What do you need the synth to be able to do? Is there an exact sound you are trying to replicate?

What, specifically, is it that you think sets the Prodyssey apart, for instance? (all of the synths available for Scope have excellent sound quality...) What is it you are still desiring in a new synth? (what is missing from your current synth arsenal?)

You have to give us some more info about what it is you are looking for, for us to help point you in the right direction...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wavelength on 2004-09-12 04:23 ]</font>
garyb

Post by garyb »

it's definitely not about fashion.....
wavelength

Post by wavelength »

On 2004-09-11 05:19, Nouveau wrote:

And If you dont know or dont look which synth you are playing: Which one sounds the best?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nouveau on 2004-09-11 05:20 ]</font>
The word "best" is way too vague... is yellow a better colour than blue? What is best for one musician is useless to another...

What sort of sound are YOU looking for? Does FM synthesis sound *better* than additive synthesis? Everything serves its purpose in the right context.
garyb

Post by garyb »

you really should buy them all. take your time, just start at the top of the list and keep going........
wayne

Post by wayne »

:lol:

he's right though :wink:
Nouveau

Post by Nouveau »

On 2004-09-12 04:15, wavelength wrote:
You just have to figure out what exactly it is you want to achieve with any particular instrument.

You have to give us some more info about what it is you are looking for, for us to help point you in the right direction...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wavelength on 2004-09-12 04:23 ]</font>
I do own some more synths like
fm7/absynth/albino/gmedia's/ect ect.

Synths like Solaris are very good, but Im more searching for real analoge...
I think Solaris is like Albino a VA. Like the hardware Virus is.

And gmedia's Oditty/imposcar and CW Minimax/prodyssey do own the analoge/vintage sound. Not because its a replica (but for the outcomming sounds).
Thus these kind of synths am I lookin for.

Correct me if I'm wrong (about VA vs Solaris)

And thanks for the reply's so far!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nouveau on 2004-09-13 05:04 ]</font>
MrV

Post by MrV »

I love my John Bowen "Ambient" synth . It's a bloody ripper !
astroman

Post by astroman »

if you consider the GMedia Oddity 'more analog' than Solaris 'because of it's sound', then you might consider to visit a physician to have your ears checked :wink:

I've demoed the GMedia version along Prodyssey (> 1 hour :wink:) and it was miles behind in sound.
Even the Prodyssey has been 'criticized' to not reach the 'sheer power of sound' of the original ARP (in 1/1 comparisons), but the Oddity could to be called whimpy at best if (directly) compared to CWA's version - and far from smooth 'analog' filter sweeps.

The Profit5 may be a good candidate if your after that kind of sounds.

On the other hand the whole 'analog-like' debate is rather in vain - you mention the OSCAR yourself: THAT is a digital synth... :razz:

Imho it's all about bragging to own an expensive (back then) and rare (today) vintage piece of gear - even if it's only virtual. Dives marketing, though :wink:

I own most of the 3rd party stuffed mentioned in this thread and I'm happy the devices sound like they do.

Their makers have put a lot of effort (and in in the case of John Bowen an unvaluable amount of experience) into their creations and ended with somthing that truely deserves to be called an instrument - not just a bunch of functions.

cheers, Tom
Nouveau

Post by Nouveau »

On 2004-09-15 05:04, astroman wrote:

On the other hand the whole 'analog-like' debate is rather in vain - you mention the OSCAR yourself: THAT is a digital synth... :razz:

eh yeh, oeps...

Indeed, there is a difference between cw and gmedia in quality, but the example is about the analoge thing.
steffensen

Post by steffensen »

how can you compare prodyssey with oddity?
they are modeled after two different versions of oddysey.

oddity = mk2 (moog clone filter)
prodyssey = mk3 (no moog clone filter)

:smile:
astroman

Post by astroman »

On 2004-09-15 09:23, rougie wrote:
... oddity = mk2 (moog clone filter)...
ok, that explains it - a Moog filter with badly matching transistors, right from the box of the DIY shop... :wink:

imho CWA focussed into emulating as much as possible from the 'analog' behaviour of the instruments in questions and they developed a special modeling process to achieve this.

I assume that John Bowen did a similiar job on the the CEM oscillators and filters of the Solaris (with a different technology though), to have exactly their sound as a building block in a wider context.

A much appreciated approach imho, it open new creative possibilities. And since the Solaris is a well tuned instrument (don't underestimate the effort in proper parameter scaling !) it's fun to explore new sound combinations.

Stephen Hummel probably took this even further by applying sound building (or modulation strategies) from existing synths into completely new tone generators.
One may like or dislike the audible result - as least it's a new and powerful sound, filling a gap in the audio palette.

Remodelling the 'classics' means an enormous amount of measurement and testing gear plus the original instruments.
Considering usual plugin sales it isn't even affordable and doesn't exactly expand the audio universe... :wink:

cheers, Tom