What is the best sequencing program for Scope?

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

DJ Mosley

Post by DJ Mosley »

I am new to the Scope synths world and I and in a very happy place. Recently I have moved from the typical 90's room full of modules, synthesizers, out board gear, and a Mackie mixer that takes up way too much space, to the all inside the computer approach. In an attempt to bring myself up to date, I am looking for suggestions for my sequencing software. Previously I have used Digital Performer 3.1.1 and Pro Tools LE with a DIGI001. I have been considering eliminating and Pro Tools LE and the DIGI001 and purchasing an A16 ultra (I still have one synth, two modules, and one really odd analog effect that I am not ready to part with that I will need ins and outs for). I only use Pro Tools for mp3 encoding and to time compress vocals using Serato Pitch n' Time (bringing ballad 70-80 BPM, and hip hop vocals 80-100 BPM up to the 125-130 BPM range). Otherwise I don’t really like it. I like everything about Digital Performer except for the time compression and lack of export options (no MP3!). What software does what I need and best enhances the Creamwear experience (seems like lots of talk about Cubase around here). Also I have been a lifetime Mac user. For the Scope platform, is this really the best place to be (Mac vs. PC)? I am not afraid of change. (I am not looking for nasty fights or ridicule on this one. Really! This is a serious question.)
garyb

Post by garyb »

FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

hiya,

If you have a big huge insane image off what you want to achieve with scope your mind has less trouble finding you tools too get there!

That being said, I enjoy FL Studio alot, basicly its the way, for me, too build awesome rhythms fast! And then expand and modify them even faster..... speed in production is essential to me too keep everything flowing out!!

After that comes ableton, which gets stuffed with my FL Studio sequencer rhythms and synths. etc. etc.

I use vdat for recording (from FL studio, and also from ableton).
scary808

Post by scary808 »

Stick wit yo mac & go Logic pro. Theres a very Scope friendly plugin that allows you to use Scope & external devices as inserts. Also, Logic comes with the best set of stock plugins. The impulse reverb is fantastic!

http://www.emagic.de
Counterparts

Post by Counterparts »

It comes with an impulse reverb?

That is impressive!

A collegue at work is a beta-tester for emagic (they recently gave him one of those massive logic control desks, the lucky blighter) and his opinion is also that the stock plugins are of a better quality than those that come with Cubase.

Royston
andrew

Post by andrew »

hey scary808 -

what's this plugin called for logic 7 that allows u to use scope devices as inserts? Just trawled emagic / apple for it.. no avail

It does sound very handy - ie without having to go to xtc mode

I'm pretty happy with logic 5.5 on my pc, I know it it quite well and I know pcs well too, and am not about to change over. I wonder if you can get this plugin for 5.5 on a pc (if it's a new emagic one there's no chance)..

any ideas?

Andrew :smile:
andrew

Post by andrew »

well in follow up to my post -

I just did more trawling of apple

there's a logic 7 tool on this page :

http://www.apple.com/logic/productivity.html

under the heading "External Instruments"

This sounds kind of like what you mean but not exactly. I wonder if you mean this one. From the description it sounds like more of a bouncing tool. boing!

I guess I'm pretty happy with my current setup anyway... ok now back to twiddling i go :smile:

Andrew
darkrezin

Post by darkrezin »

It basically turns a hardware synth into a 'plugin' which can be inserted onto an instrument channel. Like the i/o plugin which is already in Logic 5.51, it's just a shortcut, which replaces using Audio input channels and MIDI tracks. It's of course only useful if you want to mix your external synths in Logic.
garyb

Post by garyb »

the same plug is in cubase sx3.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

If you have the money to afford it, I would suggest as an extraordinary choice to get Nuendo, but:

If I were at your place, I would first investigate my requirements building a complete list of my needs. Nuendo seems to be expensive if you compare it with other sequencers, but Nuendo is not only a sequencer, it is everything in one single package. You can easily do ALL your work in Nuendo, from beginning to end, with the outmost possible quality.

Now, if you need exclusively a sequencer, I would strongly recommend you to go for Cubase SX, as the first choice. I have explained why I prefer this program against other popular ones like Logic many times in this forum, so please do a search about it.

But just in case you don’t have the time to surf about, I think the BEST you can do, is to get your computer and install an instance of each of the possible chosen apps, and try them out for about 3 days each, or let say 20 hours of use per each, before deciding what to get. Your sequencer is too important to be taken for granted. This is your “virtual home” where you do all your music work, if you don’t feel completely comfortable, you’ll be in trouble. Take your time, and watch it like an outsider, in peace, read how to, and build a song per sequencer, you’ll be very objective about your final choice. :smile:
borg

Post by borg »

i hope skatehard has found his sequencer after almost a year of searching... :smile:
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

:lol: ... bloody hell, I didn't realise it was such an old post...

I hope that at least what I said is good for anybody else...

This forum has little movement, so you don't spect it :lol: cheers...