Where to Put DC Filters?

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

jabney

Post by jabney »

From time to time, I'll get tapes recorded on Tascam DA 88 and DA 38 machines. I transfer the contents to VDAT using my RMEs' TDIF to ADAT lightpipe converter function. Tascams, RMEs and the Creamware cards are all locked to the Drawmer M-Clock at whatever speed the Tascams used for tracking the original tape.

When I examine the resulting wave forms there is DC offset. Not a lot, not even enough to hear, but I understand that the effects of DC offset can be cumulative. Worse, a client could see this and panic.

Creamware has a DC Filter which I want to try. But where do people have the best results?

1- Use 24 mono DC Filters between the Scope and Pulsar II ADAT ins and the VDAT at the time I'm bringing the tracks into the Creamware environment.

2- Use the DC Filters (later) between one VDAT running on a SATA drive and another VDAT running on an IDE drive.

3- Use the DC Filters (later) between the source VDAT and the inputs of the 2448 mixer at the time of mixdown.

4- Use the DC Filters (later) as inserts in the 2448 mixer at the time of mixdown.

5- Use one stereo DC Filter between the output of the 2448 mixer and the destination VDAT at the time of mixdown.

Any ideas as to which would yield the best results in removing DC offset? Any methods which you would advise against? Am I overlooking another solution - dithering perhaps?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jabney on 2004-02-02 01:34 ]</font>
at0m

Post by at0m »

Adjust the DC offset as early as possible in the signal path. If it enters SFP with a DC offset, adjust it after the ADAT Source modules. (And I think that's where the problem lies...)

SFP devices generally don't generate DC. Mixing, connecting devices or drivers, recording from VDAT to VDAT, or dithering does not generate nor remove DC. DC could be created if you're new to or experimenting with modular for example.

Do you insert effects when recording from one VDAT to another? If not you could copy the files from an explorer window and just reload the wave files into the VDAT, I suppose.
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

DC offset is created in some analog gear - and in some converters. Therefor you want to have those filters right after the inputs.

As far as I know, DC offset is only created in SFP intentionally - in some modular patches (and maybe some synths).