Prefered sequencer with SFP use.

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

voidar

Post by voidar »

If one would wish to use most of SFP for mixing etc. which sequencer would be prefered? I wonder wether there is a simple, multitrack, ASIO sequencer to be found. Preferably with midi automation. I feel that Logic and Cubase are to advanced for this "simple" task. Possibly Live?

I wish Creamware would make a propper sequncer for their system.
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

Why don't you take a look at Sonar? It's pretty easy, yet powerful.

Shayne
at0m

Post by at0m »

If you want to record and playback audio tracks, VDAT is a great CW plugin that does just that.

Muzys is a cheap yet advanced cpu sequencer...
huffcw

Post by huffcw »

I second that - Sonar is a good choice. You can keep it simple - then as you progress -dive deeper into the advanced things that it is capable of.

I also agree that it would be nice to have an integrated sequencer/audio recorder built in and optimized for use with SFP - it would simply things alot. Then, if they could add hosting of VST and DXi (of course, running off your main CPU) along side DSP devices, SFP would become a completely integrated software/DSP studio setup with no need for routing through an external program.
Michu

Post by Michu »

you may want to check Traction.

and yeh, Muzys is fine sequencer :grin:
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Since you can't bounce SFP midi to audio as easily as VSTi instruments, I always like working in audio. And in the audio business they're are few apps as fast and easy IMHO as AcidPro and Vegas.

On the MIDI side I've just started using Orion Platinum and it's very friendly.
Grok

Post by Grok »

Can't talk about PC's DAWs without talking about Samplitude Professional; this soft is for "pro" works, imo it's actually the best sounding native application (because of some technical points).

It can be very simple to use it (just found an amateur DJ who knows nothing about audio and audiosofts, and he has been able to do some stuffs he's interested in in one week, without help, in english that is a foreign language for him) but it's also a deep application where you can discover and learn each day, and find what you didn't expected you finally need.

Actually, users of Samplitude Professional are from high experienced pros to demanding amateurs, in sound engineering, sound design, music recording and composition and DJaying.

If you want the best sonic quality and outstanding workflow (object oriented virtual mixing) , you can go with it. All depends on what you think you're gonna do with your musics, perhaps you don't need this level of performance.

Check the v7.1 demo, you'll see by yourself if it has what you want. The first step is to understand the differents mouse modes.

http://www.samplitude.com/de/news.htm

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Grok on 2003-06-23 17:49 ]</font>
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

i was wondering how long it would be before our local Samplitude evangelist made an appearance :lol:
davo

Post by davo »

Can't talk about PC's DAWs without talking about Samplitude Professional; this soft is for "pro" works, imo it's actually the best sounding native application (because of some technical points).
Yes Sam is the best, But this fella is looking for a sequencer. Sams sequencing features are in the back seat (where they should stay):)

Davo
dehuszar

Post by dehuszar »

If you're looking for something simple, Fruityloops is supereasy to use and has gotten very flexible over the years. I don't know if the newest FLStudio still does this, but I know that certain versions can actually be opened as a VST plugin in other sequencers (think using ReWire from Reason into Cubase/Logic/Samplitude/Sonar). That way, if you "outgrow" FL (a hard task indeed, though it isn't as deep as some of the top tier sequencers) you can still do all your work in FruityLoops, but using it in Cubase or whatever you might want to look into. I know Fruity compliments SFP very well (I've used previous versions), and it's not nearly as resource intensive as the big 4.

Worth looking into if you ask me.

Sam
garyb

Post by garyb »

hey,how about magix music studio2004!( http://europe.magix.com/index.php?id=411 )you get TWO programs for $80.one is a cut down version of logic with some nice vstis for good measure,the other is a cut down version of samplitude(master and burn redbook cd's).both are VERY useful.

otherwise,i use logic and samplitude,cubase sx and sonar are both worthy as well.
Grok

Post by Grok »

On 2003-06-23 19:11, davo wrote:
Yes Sam is the best, But this fella is looking for a sequencer. Sams sequencing features are in the back seat (where they should stay):)

Davo
Well, with the v7.11, MIDI editing features are not so bad, even if not complete as with Logic or Cubase. That's why I thought I could talk about Samp in this topic

MIDI edition is a work in progress in Samplitude...Right now with v7.11, I find it pretty workable.
Toujours l'Amour!
The Z Station

Post by The Z Station »

All these seq/DAWS are good. It all depends on how the way to approach recording... I use tripleDAT, Sonar 2, LAP 5, and Cubase SX - and tried Samplitude (which will be next on my list of "gets".). All of these are great but am still partial to tripleDAT's simplicity - eagerly awaiting for the new version that works under XP....
LAP5 is probably has the most learning curve of them all but very powerful, awesome sound transparency and outstanding plug-ins. Although lately, I find myself using Cubase SX more for its ease of use (IMHO).

Some of the fine CW guys here are partial to LAP5/6 and some are Cubase SXers, there are also those who are "pinged" with Sonar, and some are simply Samplitudians - etc... Anyway, it all boils down to which of these makes you the most productive. But, if you are well versed with all of them, then, that's a little more tough to chew on...
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I think the good news that's evident from all these replies is: "You can use SFP well with ANY of the usual sequencers."
sandrob

Post by sandrob »

if you looking for best midi, cubase vst32 with no doubt.
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

On 2003-06-23 23:09, garyb wrote:
hey,how about magix music studio2004!( http://europe.magix.com/index.php?id=411 )you get TWO programs for $80.one is a cut down version of logic with some nice vstis for good measure,the other is a cut down version of samplitude(master and burn redbook cd's).both are VERY useful.

otherwise,i use logic and samplitude,cubase sx and sonar are both worthy as well.
The Magix is great - my elder brother uses it. Also consider Cubasis VST a cut-off version of Cubase yet very powerfull and very cheap (about $80)!!!!!!! There are many VSTi in it including a simple version of virtual Guitarist!!!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2003-06-24 07:06 ]</font>
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/cat/MIDI_SEQUENCERS/

I did a quick search and came up with this listing of various sequencers available on-line (including shareware). If you're looking for an inexpensive solution you might find something here. Good luck.
voidar

Post by voidar »

I want to thank everyone for their reply. As one pointed out I am only looking for a audio/midi sequencer, and not a DAW, as I want to mix using SFP. I feel I get more use out of the system that way, and I dont know, maybe its more fun. Also, there is no latency on when using SFP FX. Hooking up a reverb in an ASIO IO bus will give a delay of twice the latency setting i.e. While mixing in SFP I only get the playback delay which is not that important.

Logic is too much a system hog. I would need to tweak priority levels for the audio engine not to stop while touching the SFP interface. I like the audio cross-fade options etc. though.

SX never found my ASIO Scope driver, so fuck it.

The VDAT lacks the automation and editing qualities that I need.

tripleDAT is just not an alternative while on XP.

Live is neat. I love the wave tweaking possibilities, though it did not seem to be able to output in other ways than linked mode (ASIO out 1 + 2, 3 + 4). Also, an ASIO pair is reserved for the master out, which I do not intent to use anyway. I would need to hardpan each channel left and right, and I tried this, but some strange problem occured. Some channels had a higher output level than others. The high output level occures in other programs as well, so I need to attentuate the output so no clipping will occure in SFP.

Tracktion seems very nice and something I might start to use. The wave tweaking is possibly a bit weak though. At least it supports non-linked ASIO outs. I have not yet figured out the automation or how I can MIDI controll the SFP mixer with it though.

I have tried FL Studio, but the audiorecording is just too tiresome.

Musyz suffers from the same problem as Live I think with linked ASIO out pairs. Also I found it difficult to use, but I will need to try more.

Samp I have not tried, but it might be to "complicated".

Sonar, never tried but maybe.

The Magix Studio got me quite interested, but I need to try it out first.

Once again I want to thank you all for your input, and further input is of course appreciated.
garyb

Post by garyb »

The Magix Studio got me quite interested, but I need to try it out first.

well,it's only $79...........
borg

Post by borg »

Live is neat. I love the wave tweaking possibilities, though it did not seem to be able to output in other ways than linked mode (ASIO out 1 + 2, 3 + 4).
go to the bus section, and choose 'unlink' it's supposed to be on the right hand side... i can't really verify this, as this is a 2.x feature, and i haven't upgraded yet, so still on 1.5.2
which version did you test?

i think i'm gonna check out this magix deal for my pc setup... until ableton live comes up with some kind of midi sequencing features, i need another app, unfortunately
andy
the lunatics are in the hall