We're coming a poor third to NI and Propellorhead

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

fear not, it's on my list.
it's a big project tho, so be patient.

one day, you'll wake up, and it'll be a whole new Z :smile:

-john
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Certainly, this site is NOT a graveyard! This idea is out of question and makes no sense. I think we ourselves create our one graveyard when we want more and more and more… and use nothing to the fullest.

It's bizarre, but we always say we need more and more but to do less and less, what is going on?

20 years ago, when music groups used to rehears several hours a day for weeks and even months before getting into a performance, the drummer had A drum, the bassist had A bass, the guitarist A guitar, the keyboard player an old Fender Rodhes and sometimes, if quite rich, a monophonic synthesiser; the singer A microphone. Instruments and Mics used to be plugged into a powered desk with outs going into a couple of big boxes. Everybody would pay attention to MUSIC rather than to technology.

We are very lucky today to have all we have, WHICH IS MORE THAN AMAZING!!! Literally, tens of thousands of instruments at hand with tremendous sound quality, versatility and hundreds of FXs. So, please, let's give ourselves a break. We are getting the "Dad-I-want-more-don't-like-it" Christmas syndrome.

I always, when we get to that point, tell myself the same thing: "WE HAVE TOO MUCH AND THIS IS A PROBLEM". We have far more than what anybody needs to make music, independently of what kind of music you do, like, even if you want to reach into the wildest experimentation, you still have far more than what you need. Think about all the great genies of past days, most of them had a piano and that's it. Think about Mozart, Beetowen, Verdi, Handel, Musorsky, Stravisky, the incredible Johann Sebastian Bach and other classic composers that would write music with a pen a peace of paper, a candle as their only source of light, and a Clavesino, Piano Forte or other very limited instruments of those times.

If we continue to worry so much about market trades, competence, "this is better", no, but this is "even better than the one that was better last week", and so on, we are going to go could hearted and our music will just become as arctic as our "market" need for more toys to play with!

Do not misunderstand me, I'll be glad, for example, if I had the money to buy absolutely all plug-ins, everything available for Pulsar, but THAT will never become my worry, my absolute need to make music. With the synthesisers I already own, and FXs and many other implementations of the Pulsar environment, I'm more than well supplied to make music for the rest of my live. I do not want to become a machine dependent, I want to be a musician. I've heard some Indian people playing flute in a mountain, and what they transmitted was absolutely magic, electrifying… If you were to ask them what MIDI means, they well certainly tell you they don't know.

The music market is becoming weaker and weaker every year in quality music, commercial music is becoming more than ever before a well thought "product" to be sold. And producers have groups of psychologists to study people's minds and so construct what they need for the "product" to be accepted.

Let's get away from this anti-artistic world, and let's make some MUSIC, because we all have more than enough to do so"!

And by the way, THIS IS THE BEST FORUM about Pulsar, and John, thanks very much for your work. Extremely appreciated for most.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

OK, OK, I accept. Give me a day or two to clean up the presets and I'll upload. Maybe I'll start a trend.
Mo

Post by Mo »

well said, that´s it.
i just will continue this "want-more-don´t-like-it"-syndrome just in terms of os-support - hey, this was no nice christmas when there was only a cd for win9x beneath the christmas tree... :sad:
:grin: well, indeed. i have so much software, and how much of it i´m actually using?
i <i>never</i> (please don´t hit me) used the modular in a serious way, although i own the modular2. it´s just that i´m more a guitarist than a synth-freak.
it would be great if this place would give more possibilities to bring people together with making music, i´d be glad about someone showing me how to get fun with the mod2 in an efficient way. because of this i thought it would be great to have (parallel to the existing, great boards in here) some language separated forums where people can talk in their own laguage. this would help especially me, for my english is not as good as i want it to be...

i know, this is much work, john... but i already offered you my help :grin: of course it´s just a small offer, more a gesture (i fear i couldn´t help you)...
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

hey mo,

your english really isn't that bad! certainly better than my german :grin:

it's not much work for me to make a non-english language forum. it's just that i won't be able to understand what is said there, and therefore i (and most of the english speakers are here) will not be able to benefit from it. so i'd really prefer to keep the forums in english (even if it's not perfect english), so that the largest possible audience can benefit from the posts.

only if there's a very strong interest on non-english forums would i think it's a good idea (but i realize that maybe that's a chicken and egg problem. maybe there's no interest until after i create the forum...)

-john
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

why not just have your post in english first, and then in your native language a bit below? then everyone can understand. . .
Micha

Post by Micha »

jute idee! = good idea - algorhythm
So if someone has a more difficult problem he could explain it more precisely in his own language in the hope that somebody understanding him is able to translate for the rest of us. But the normal language should be english. My proposition as rule: If you cannot explain it anymore in english, use your own language.
Zer

Post by Zer »

since all the pc soft & hardware development is mostly overruled by new technologies that have been developed until today, my opinion is just like this: I bought my Pulsar 1 for about 2 years...well, which other card on a pc had been developed that constantly (2 years)? The new processors and technologies which just have been developed are giving other developing power that means, esp. if I look at minor softwaredevelopments like the volkszämpler - creamware is developing once again in another category - in order to fit similiar standards like NI or Propellerheads, because today power isn´t a problem any longer.

By the way, the 4 years phase is nearly over, it seems most likely, that a new bus technology will be implemented into some next generations motherboard, so that we aren´t able to use our pci cards any longer....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zer on 2001-06-18 10:51 ]</font>
Zer

Post by Zer »

@ john... By the way ... I think you´ve got a very smart site here... on a nearly non commercial website I wouldn´t expect as many updates as on a fully commercial web site, I guess you´ve got other things to do as well.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zer on 2001-06-18 10:48 ]</font>
Mo

Post by Mo »

yes, good point, micha & algorythm. thanks for considering john, but you´re right. i thought (nearly two seconds :grin: ) about writing an extract of the mothertongue post in english down beneath, but... :grin: ok, even my own dumb self now accepts willingly the reign of the royal tongue :wink: (just kidding)

have fun
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

OK, I've uploaded a patch. I'll start a new topic about uploading...
garyb

Post by garyb »

the angst is ridiculous.i have so little time for my own work i am so thankfull for those who keep forums like these alive and to the developers who provide so many cool free devices.i'm truly sorry to not have had more funds to budget for extra devices,but soon.........
for the money i spent to finally have a working studio,i'd be crazy to be unhappy.i love that i have so many options and unique sounds.(the usual sounds are cheap. new or special sounds cost plenty normally.)the more i use my stuff the more worlds that open.and the system is improving.please stay at it all y'all.thanks!(no cranks)
the hard part is the music.get on that.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Well, it seems like John has done his part, the new PlanetZ is looking awesome, the devices area is great. Only suggestion is to make the "download" & "text & "image" link area larger, a few long-time PlanetZ users have emailed me asking why all the devices were "removed" (it's all still there!) Also perhaps the Devices area could default to "newest device first" like the old days (the change confuses people, but I think they get it eventually...) It's awesome to be able to sort by Views, Replys, Reply Date, etc!

I still haven't contributed much to the Modular Patch thread; I have downloaded people's music & patches and gave comments. I promise that I'll put up a Mod2 patch (edit) I'll start this weekend on a special one.(/edit) Then I plan on starting the recursive Modular Patch thread up again, and giving it momentum to keep it spinning.

I've been really impressed by alfonso & arikama's patches... creative & inspiring.

Hopefully my Infinite Vortex project will bring more people to the platform and help people get solid working Pulsar systems (even if they buy from somewhere else). I'm doing all I can on the technical front to get people systems that work well enough for the creative juices to flow...

If you're reading this and haven't contributed to the community in awhile -- do your best to change that soon :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: subhuman on 2001-08-03 17:10 ]</font>
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

I've been really impressed by alfonso & arikama's patches... creative & inspiring.
You bet!!

Alfonso is waiting to see a 6in/6out module to make a real guitar synth compatible with hexpickup! That would be way coOl! :grin:

Post by marcuspocus »

Wou hou! I'm Now a Pulsar Geek! And in the top ten poster!

Sorry for this, I wanted to see my new title...hmmm

:grin: :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: marcuspocus on 2001-08-02 22:41 ]</font>
ontik

Post by ontik »

I'm pretty fresh to planetz and I used to frequent the CW forum alot until I found planetz which has eased my depression no end (tah John).

It is quite apparent to use all that there is no one piece of kit that will fulfill all our wants and desires. It is also quite obvious that a number of software/hardware owners may well start out with this impression.

But I'm sure most of you would agree that as time goes on you do 'collect' enough kit to do basically any thing you can imagine. HOWEVER! I find myself buying more and more kit for three reasons 1.) ADDICTION :smile: 2.)Inspriration 3.) Flexibility

This is what makes any new tool you can get your hands on appealling. It is why things like the release of V3 created such anticipation and we get warm fuzzy feelings when we get a free plug in we like.

I can agree that the Pulsar was an expensive option, but to buy any high end audio I/O will usually be around half the price but you then get one of the best software FX kits you could hope for, an impressive array of Synths (good and bad) and tools that is happy to work with nearly all your existing software and are generally better sounding than the majority of VST plug on offer.

So its probably not the best value for money thing you could get your hands on but... Would you really want to NOT have it in your kit????

You've got to compare apples with apples, Reaktor (NI in general) can't do what the Pulsar does nor can Propellerhead. Of course Pulsar can't do some of the things that these two companies can. But put the lot together just stop and think about just how much power you really have available to you. Then go buy it as Hardware!!!!

I love my kit totally and it aint much. But we are all milking the best out of what your household PC can do these days and I am prepared to accomodate some of the frustrations we encounter that in time will disappear.

NOTE: (I am a programmer just for the record :wink: )

I wish my ear infection would clear so I can get back the business end of our fixation.. (even humans have bugs! I'm off to complain to God :smile: )

PEACE!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ontik on 2001-11-09 00:55 ]</font>