faster sharcs

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

xscape321

Post by xscape321 »

i read somewhere that the sharc dsps are only 60mhz i'm sure motorola has a faster clocked dsp by now maybe 120mhz or faster?

also i love to know whats coming down the road , anything cool coming in the futrure relating to pulsar/scope?
PabloFasan

Post by PabloFasan »

Analog Devices have also the Tigger Sharcs that run at 600mhz .

The Sharcs used by Pulsars are cheap DSP chips.

In any case look at the Analog Devices page, DSP section, and then write to Creamware, asking why?????? when they design Pulsar II they continue using these slow DSP chips, instead the others, that yet existed in that moment.

Also you could ask, why they don't have includded in the board enough RAM chips (512Mb for example) for to load the DSP modules and the samples, avoiding in this way PCI overflows and also allowing to use the board in any motherboard without problems.

If you get an anwser tell me, you'r really lucky, I'm waiting for a logic repply about this matter since they anounce Pulsar II.

I'm willing to know what they think today when their competitors, TC Works, Soundscape(Red-Mixpander), Korg (Oasys), Roland propietary hardware systems (VS-2480) and others have released powerful DSP boards or systems with LOTs of onboard RAM.

When I spoke, two years ago, about this I was treated as a mix of idiot and insane.

Good luck
Mo

Post by Mo »

yes that´s also the point in a discussion at another message board i have been the last few minutes. the anounced uaudio powered plug-ins seem to have all the things pulsar has... let´s say not enough :grin:

analogue sounding eqs and comps, and some of the best sounding software reverb out there, and - enough power... sounds good, em? :cool: well, sounds similar to that hund frank promised to come from third parties (apart from more dsp´s :grin: )

however, my pulsar2 (i wonder if i´d buy 'pulsar3' when cw believe it´s time...) works good for me, and when i´m rich enough (and willing) to buy new gear, things have certainly changed drastical, so the question is (for me) not 'which dsp´s on concurrent cards are faster?' or 'which new card is better than mine?' (because each one will - exept oasys :grin: ).
my good old deschutes (p2 400) is (wow :cool:

make music, have fun

Mo