akai samplers

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

mrvinyl

Post by mrvinyl »

I'm interested in buying an akai sampler, and was wondering what anybody recommends.

I was looking at either a s5000 or an s6000. has anybody got any remarks good or bad? I'm not too sure if the s5000 has a cd-rom facility.

grateful for any replies,

mr vinyl.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mrvinyl on 2001-05-01 17:13 ]</font>
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Are you sure you want an Akai and not a Kurzweil or EMU sampler?

I have played a bit on them all and prefer the Kurzweil and EMU over the Akai...
Mo

Post by Mo »

especially the filter section is better with the EMUs.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Especially the flexibility of V.A.S.T. inside the Kurzie...

The lack of realtime control of Resonance on the EMU surprised me, to say the least, though.
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

i'm sure this is contentious, but aren't HW samplers "dinosaurs" now? I mean if money is no concern, maybe. But computer HW is such that they are kinda obsolete. . . :razz:
What about the Volksampler? It's FREE.
It has just been released (in germany), so I'm told. Also, why not take a look at the STS X000? 'Hardware' enough :wink: IMHO (dsps)
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

I own and use the STS4000, and its fabulous in many ways, specifically RAM (512megs in my machine), and loading CDROMs very quickly.

However, for mangling, filters, and modulations, nothing touches hardware samplers still.

I bought the Kurzweil after I realized that the STS4000, while great at what it does, just isn't full featured enough.

I use them both together now... different purposes. Of course, if I had a SCOPE board, then I could run a Modular patch for every output on the STS and get a similiar effect.
hairbrain

Post by hairbrain »

For mangling, filters, and modulations, nothing touches GigaStudio.

On second thoughts why would anyone who wanted to "mangle, filter, and modulate" samples touch an Akai or an EMU, when there's Reaktor out there? OK so the polyphony might be a few sandwiches short of a picnic but for the odd lead or rhythm it's mangle heaven.

What am I saying... This is the Pulsar forum you crazy loon!!! There's enough filters and modulation capabilities in this soundcard to build a UFO. What about using the Modular2 as a mangler instead of a synth. Pop your (soon to be coming) Volksampler outputs through the modular2 on their way to the outputs. Then you can FILL the modular2 with filters and effects to really mess the signal up. You can even route filters through filters, etc, etc. I seriously doubt whether you'd find such capabilities on any hardware sampler.

Don't buy hardware...It'll be a useless lump of metal, which you can't sell, within a year. It's only a matter of time before the mass market realises that better things can be done in software. The bottoms gonna drop out of this market.

Just tryin' to be helpful >:)
hairbrain

Post by hairbrain »

Subhuman,

Oopps just saw your remark about multiple outputs of modular on a Scope. Stupid me I wrote before I fully read (I must stop doing that).
Yeah Pulsar & Reaktor are both limited in terms of polyphony and outputs. I suppose if you had 8 pulsar's then all would be cool.

But have you ever thought of GigaStudio? A free update has just been posted with various improvements; even more features than ever.

I'm using Pulsar, GigaStudio, and Sonar. With this combination I can have 16 separate stereo outputs from GigaStudio for the 16 seperate instruments. I can also acheive about 140 polyphony. Finally with Sonar, and when creamware bring out WDM drivers, I will be able to put each of the 16 outs through a live audio channel in Sonar, patch multiple filters and effects into it, and hear the effects in real-time as I play the keyboard. Now with this at hand, and a midi slider box which I have, I feel like I've finally arrived in mangle heaven.

hairbrain (a fellow mangler)
Lotuz

Post by Lotuz »

How about this picture?

Cubase VST 5.0 + Pulsar II with XTC interface + Volkszämpler/Steinberg HALion

Hopefully this setup can be realized within a couple of weeks. Depends on how fast CreamWare and Steinberg finish their new software.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

I also like to work in the domain of Zero Latency so I can actually "play" things in, in realtime. This means no GigaTurkey and Volkerwhatever. I tried Giga, and hated it. I have no need for 23094234megs of a piano sample, I'm not going for realistic orchestras, and the filters and modulations in Giga are topped by STSx000, last time I checked (which I admit was on Giga v1.5).

Running Giga through Reaktor would introduce even more latency, right? That's not really my thing...
hairbrain

Post by hairbrain »

Subhuman....

The beautiful thing about software is that it's always updated. Your opinions of GigaTurkey 1.5 are as outmoded as if I thought all Hardware samplers were like Mellotrons.
GigaStudio 2.2 can take HUGE orchestral samples agreed but think of the power that capacity can give small samples aswell. It has completely revamped filters, you can make complex instruments within a minute or two, you have a fifteen inch monitor to see what's going on, you can copy and paste directly from sound forge or cool edit, because you don't have to navigate around a labyrinth-like maze of menu's you can easily access functions you'd use more on an Akai if only they were easier to find, you can create keyboard zones for about 20 different parameters, & you can layer up to about 32 samples on one note. You can mix between these layers using aftertouch, midi controllers, the keyboard, velocity, etc. Each layer can therefore contain a different mangled version of the sample which you can expressively fade between during your performance. With 32 layers your 10mb sample can become 320mb and still make no impact on latency, which is about 7ms (completely un-noticable).

Oh and which idiot suggested chugging GigaStudio through Reaktor. Duhhh stupid idea or what, especially when you've got a Pulsar card filling up a PCI slot. If, however, you have one lead riff going over the top of some rhythm and you want to really mess with it.... take a tip from the pro's (and I'm not talking about me, just go and visit nativeinstrument's site and see who uses it) use Reaktor.

I stand firm. I'm making mangled tunes with my setup and its working better than my old ASR-10. What's more in the future, with software updates, it's only gonna get better and better. Sure you can be retro and buy a hardware sampler but don't think anyone's gonna buy the old banger off you when you start to realise software is better.